Review Freo Get a Coffee in Melbourne in the 2nd Quarter of an AFL Match (Rd 18 Review vs Pies)

Remove this Banner Ad

They put the cue in the rack in the last 1.5 quarters so I don't take much stock in that.
Awful umpiring aside, we turned into witches hats in the 2nd. Coach killing effort.

Hope walkers okay but that could really stunt his career if its as bad as it looked.

I hope JL doesn’t get too carried away with the second half. Yes some youngsters played well and showed a bit but let’s be honest - the pies were going though the motions at HT.
Pendles having a rest while laughing on the bench 5 min into the second half said it all.

Didn't care to be honest. It could easily of been a 60-90 point loss.

Some players did ok.

Liked some set shot goals from certain players.

Sam Sturt deserves a contract for next season. And I reckon he will get one
Win some money today?

If that's the case, drop literally every forward bar Amiss. He was fine in the second half

Amiss is 19 & taking the opposition best defender. And still found a way to make a goal out of nothing.

Shultz is a middle ager in football terms who has shown at times top level small forward skills. Right now he’s double handling, fumbling, can’t kick a set shot etc.

It’s a false equivalence.

We need bigger bodies in the midfield
Johnson and Erasmus one day will be that, in the short term though, I agree.

I'm down to play Jackson a lot more in there as a mid.

Last edited:
Amiss is 19 & taking the opposition best defender. And still found a way to make a goal out of nothing.

Shultz is a middle ager in football terms who has shown at times top level small forward skills. Right now he’s double handling, fumbling, can’t kick a set shot etc.

It’s a false equivalence.
Wtf are you on about?

I said Amiss because he kicks goals, meaning drop everyone except Amiss.

The result each week comes down to centre clearances for the dockers. We are the worst team in the comp for scoring from turnovers, so if we don’t dominate centre clearance, we won’t win the game.

We need to either: work out how to dominate in the middle, or, work out how to pressure their team to win the ball back. Do neither and we are going to continue to be a crap football team.

If that's the case, drop literally every forward bar Amiss. He was fine in the second half
Treacy got 3 goal scoring chances today and kicked 3 goals.
Amiss got 1 and kicked 1
Sturt got 2 and kicked 2
Jackson got 3 and kicked 2 (and the one he missed was tough from the boundary)
Walters missed 2 - a tough snap in play early on and a boundary shot on his weaker foot, neither easy).
Banfield even - got 1 and kicked it.

Schultz got 3 straightforward set shots and kicked 0. If Walters had gotten those 3 kicks he would have kicked all 3. That’s the difference.

Our game plan is limited and we generate maybe 18 decent scoring chances a game. We cannot afford to carry a battler with no forward craft who misses 3 of those easy chances and still expect to kick a winning score. It’s just not sustainable.

Treacy got 3 goal scoring chances today and kicked 3 goals.
Amiss got 1 and kicked 1
Sturt got 2 and kicked 2
Jackson got 3 and kicked 2 (and the one he missed was tough from the boundary)
Walters missed 2 - a tough snap in play early on and a boundary shot on his weaker foot, neither easy).
Banfield even - got 1 and kicked it.

Schultz got 3 straightforward set shots and kicked 0. If Walters had gotten those 3 kicks he would have kicked all 3. That’s the difference.

Our game plan is limited and we generate maybe 18 decent scoring chances a game. We cannot afford to carry a battler with no forward craft who misses 3 of those easy chances and still expect to kick a winning score. It’s just not sustainable.
One - amazing how many posters are quoting an obvious sarcastic comment

Two - So you legitimately think we should and will drop Schutlz?

He's been below par this season, but we have far bigger issues than him.

Attn: Freo media team. (Tonga Bob what was their account again?
Please ensure news articles are available on the Freo app BEFORE sending the push notification.
It's consistently 5-10 minutes early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We
The result each week comes down to centre clearances for the dockers. We are the worst team in the comp for scoring from turnovers, so if we don’t dominate centre clearance, we won’t win the game.

We need to either: work out how to dominate in the middle, or, work out how to pressure their team to win the ball back. Do neither and we are going to continue to be a crap football team
We won centre clearances today

90% of this game is in a players head. As whole team we are way down on confidence. Things will turn around. As some wise people have said on this forum it’s is never as good or bad as it seems.
As supporters we have every right to be disappointed and after 28 years I’m getting pretty impatient but let’s see what next week brings.

I watched the game on delay as I knew I'd miss the start. I was pausing things and discussing with my son. One glaring issue is we constantly put the ball on our team mates heads. Our kicks and/or handballs were so often not to the players advantage but forced them to stop, allowing the Collingwood opponents to spoil/intercept/halve the contest and with their game style would then fly down the ground and score. Not sure what the 'goals from turnovers' stat is but my guess is that it would be high in Collingwoods favour.
1st quarter especially we had a lot of kicks into our f50 but never to the forwards advantage.

One - amazing how many posters are quoting an obvious sarcastic comment

Two - So you legitimately think we should and will drop Schutlz?

He's been below par this season, but we have far bigger issues than him.
This is a weird hill to die on. Schultz and Switkowski were absolutely putrid today.
Suhultz is the biggest momentum sapping player on the team the last few weeks. Small forwards that repeatedly butcher goal chances suck the life out of any afl team.

I watched the game on delay as I knew I'd miss the start. I was pausing things and discussing with my son. One glaring issue is we constantly put the ball on our team mates heads. Our kicks and/or handballs were so often not to the players advantage but forced them to stop, allowing the Collingwood opponents to spoil/intercept/halve the contest and with their game style would then fly down the ground and score. Not sure what the 'goals from turnovers' stat is but my guess is that it would be high in Collingwoods favour.
1st quarter especially we had a lot of kicks into our f50 but never to the forwards advantage.
That’s just skills and inferior footballing talent.

This is a weird hill to die on. Schultz and Switkowski were absolutely putrid today.
Suhultz is the biggest momentum sapping player on the team the last few weeks. Small forwards that repeatedly butcher goal chances suck the life out of any afl team.
It's like slips fielders dropping catches. They're specifically in a position to one job.

Hardly a hill I'm choosing to die on.

If you think he's our biggest issue, then that's your opinion that I strongly disagree with.

Was going to write similar. Our handballs are loopy to stationary targets or on their heads.

That in itself was the greatest difference in the second quarter. They attacked relentlessly with quick and forward moving handballs.

I can’t for the life of me understand how we get smashed out the front of stoppages so easily. Sometimes to 2 or 3 opposition players open. I mean I know how it happens, we bring too many to the contest and if we don’t win it get heavily countered. This has to be 100% a coaching issue and has been an issue in many losses.

Once the opposition midfield are out in the open with no pressure it becomes a training drill or a game of checkers.

DOES MY HEAD IN

Switta has been non existent and Freddy has had a quiet season in general.

How often do you see JL trying to get them in game? Switta has proven he can play midfield, yet we rarely see it. Does JL flip some magnets for a few minutes to get Freddy, Schultz or Walters involved in the game?

I call that lazy coaching

Johnson and Erasmus one day will be that, in the short team though, I agree.

I'm down to play Jackson a lot more in there as a mid.
Yea agree. Against the mature sides like the pies, lions, dogs and whoever else our midfield is too under sized. Johnno and Ras need a couple more preseasons probably, so we should be trying to bring someone in in the off season

You’re a bad parent for making your child sit through a Freo game. 😉

Remove this Banner Ad

Back