Review Freo Get a Coffee in Melbourne in the 2nd Quarter of an AFL Match (Rd 18 Review vs Pies)

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched the game on delay as I knew I'd miss the start. I was pausing things and discussing with my son. One glaring issue is we constantly put the ball on our team mates heads. Our kicks and/or handballs were so often not to the players advantage but forced them to stop, allowing the Collingwood opponents to spoil/intercept/halve the contest and with their game style would then fly down the ground and score. Not sure what the 'goals from turnovers' stat is but my guess is that it would be high in Collingwoods favour.
1st quarter especially we had a lot of kicks into our f50 but never to the forwards advantage.
Yeah that was huge. We wasted so many scoring opportunities from that.

Yea agree. Against the mature sides like the pies, lions, dogs and whoever else our midfield is too under sized. Johnno and Ras need a couple more preseasons probably, so we should be trying to bring someone in in the off season
We have Brodie in the shed, injured now but was dropped before that, he’d help in getting first hands on the ball.

I expected worse, to be honest.

O'Meara and Erasmus were quite good. Treacy with a big last term.

Schultz second half was much better.

Wagner played better than his previous games, so that's something
Good shout re Wagner. Thought he had some good moments today, and with the injuries in the back six, probably gets a block of games for us to find out about him.

Pretty bullish after today, despite the result. Good effort throughout amd some flashes of genuine quality. Don't forget that much like the Brisbane side, that Pies team is cherry ripe in the sweet spot age and experience wise (N Daicos is a freak, so can't really include him as a youngster). We are so young across the park, but if we keep pumping the games in and we'll be competing before you know it.

Not sure when it happens, but 4-5 pre seasons in and tackles start sticking more (I understand some of our older ones were guikty of missing them) or at least slowing down players more for a follow up.

The other thing is having the core playing 30-50 games together. Again puts us slap bang competing from 25 onwards.

Miles better than last few weeks.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We have Brodie in the shed, injured now but was dropped before that, he’d help in getting first hands on the ball.
Yeah but we’re too slow with him and JOM in the side, or we need to figure out how to use them both

We have only what are probably the worst bottom 3 teams in decades below us - Hawthorn, NM and Eagles. That's it. The season has been a disaster.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Surely if we actually finish bottom 4, it's genuine curtains for JL? Like, that's unacceptable.

Can you think of a better lesson in how NOT to play?
I’m just thankful that my two boys followed my guitar interests and not my football team.

Surely if we actually finish bottom 4, it's genuine curtains for JL? Like, that's unacceptable.
It will be about how many wins we end up with and how we lose. For now he can still play the young inexperienced card. Because it’s a big part of it. Collingwood had double the experience as us today.

I’m not convinced of sacking JL just yet, but we really need to find good assistants, especially in the midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With our midfield - I think if we can't trade someone in at the end of the year - we need to play Fyfe and Brodie in the middle to help out. JOM isn't big enough. Ras and MJ will be great in time but right now, we need grunt. The Unicorn might help but we also need him upforward. And, why not try Schultz in the middle? Hes the type of guy who won't die wondering. I know people arent rating him but I do, until we get someone better

With our midfield - I think if we can't trade someone in at the end of the year - we need to play Fyfe and Brodie in the middle to help out. JOM isn't big enough. Ras and MJ will be great in time but right now, we need grunt. The Unicorn might help but we also need him upforward. And, why not try Schultz in the middle? Hes the type of guy who won't die wondering. I know people arent rating him but I do, until we get someone better
Why do we need grunt now? We aren't going to win the Premiership, so may as well get games into the guys who'll be giving the grunt in a season or so, rather than a stop gap. Don't get me wrong, a genuine bull becomes available age 25-26, go for your life, but otherwise, this is the path we're on.

Switta and Shultz are so far out of form. Says a bit about JLo too. Put one in the middle or a Wing, change something.
Or drop one

They both attended numerous centre bounces in the 2nd half but why would you put then in there just to get a kick when we have better quality young midfielders sitting on the bench waiting for their turn. Give guys like Henry, Johnson, Erasmus and NOD more time in the middle or wing, don’t waste there opportunities in trying to get Shultz or Switter a kick. I agree with the previous poster if we are going to move up the ladder they need to be moved out

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why do we need grunt now? We aren't going to win the Premiership, so may as well get games into the guys who'll be giving the grunt in a season or so, rather than a stop gap. Don't get me wrong, a genuine bull becomes available age 25-26, go for your life, but otherwise, this is the path we're on.

thats what i meant - next season

Attn: Freo media team. (Tonga Bob what was their account again?
Please ensure news articles are available on the Freo app BEFORE sending the push notification.
It's consistently 5-10 minutes early.
They can’t control that. It’s a Telstra issue.

You like the burnt crap coffee they serve up in Melbourne?
Like Perth, Melbourne have places that serve superb coffee and others that are awful. Strange to even say Melbourne has bad coffee, if you believe this then you clearly haven't been to many cafes. If your experience is limited to inner city Starbucks then I could understand this misguided view. There's some brilliant places outside the CBD

Like Perth, Melbourne have places that serve superb coffee and others that are awful. Strange to even say Melbourne has bad coffee, if you believe this then you clearly haven't been to many cafes. If your experience is limited to inner city Starbucks then I could understand this misguided view. There's some brilliant places outside the CBD
I visit Melbourne on an annual basis as my best mate lives there. I love my coffee and I chuckle at the fact that Melbourne gloats about the quality of their coffee over everywhere else.

They don’t have a magic beanstalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back