• Rory Sloane (sub)

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Riley Thilthorpe

• Taylor Walker

• Josh Worrell

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it’s to do with the fact that he was the first draft pick and what that means to the team who came stone motherless last. As a team who has come stone motherless last, you just feel for the club and pissed off at the player that has let them down (and a bit of “that could have been us”).
Yeah I feel he didn’t give the Roos any real go, but that’s the Roos issue not ours. I reckon it’s become a mob mentality thing. Even Goodes was the same. I find it hard to believe there were thousands of people acting racist all at the same time. But when a large crowd is doing it, it’s easy to incidentally join in. There have been many psychological experiments that basically state if you are in a mob and can “hide” within the majority, you are more likely to do things you would not normally do if that group wasn’t there. Sometimes it harder to be courageous to be yourself. But yeah, it’s silly to boo him for that if you’re not a kangaroos supporter

Yeah I feel he didn’t give the Roos any real go, but that’s the Roos issue not ours. I reckon it’s become a mob mentality thing. Even Goodes was the same. I find it hard to believe there were thousands of people acting racist all at the same time. But when a large crowd is doing it, it’s easy to incidentally join in. There have been many psychological experiments that basically state if you are in a mob and can “hide” within the majority, you are more likely to do things you would not normally do if that group wasn’t there. Sometimes it harder to be courageous to be yourself. But yeah, it’s silly to boo him for that if you’re not a kangaroos supporter
Nobody “accidentally joins in” with racist booing when they know that’s what it is considered.

Horne Francis completely different situation.

Geez Dawson needs some goal kicking practice. Very wasteful.

Much is said about Walker's goal kicking but his field kicking is absolutely sublime. Just as good as Dawson in that regard.

Dawson 5 goals 12 behinds this year

Some real improvement available for him next year in that space

For laughs - Keays 18.16 for the year

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don’t think I’m much of a boo’er, I don’t really understand why clubs not associated with JHF are doing it, but that’s footy. So what? He left a club asap. That’s footy. Why do people make such big things out of it?
If I was to boo him it would be for repeatedly shrugging or raising the arm to get a high free.
He’s ginnivan lite

I agree that it's ugly, but not in any way comparable to the disgusting Mass Crowd Racism Abuse that Goodes received.

Jason Half Forward is paying the Disloyalty Tax. You're the #1 draft pick, best young talent in the country, so you get picked by the bottom club, which then showers you with confetti and love, fans invest their hope and aspirations in you...so what do you do? You sook. You half-train. You focus on putting your unhappiness out there for all to see about being with a bottom club...because you can't see a premiership medal around your neck anytime soon. You pick up your ball and announce you are going home. You approach the nearest-to-home club that is in its premiership window. Who naturally are delighted.

That's not how being a super-talented young AFL player is done. You haven't paid your dues to the game that is going to reward you handsomely. You haven't grown up. You have attempted to 'break the system'. If the top 5 picks every year immediately made it known they won't be happy and need to join a top club straight away, the AFL would be a shambles and devolve into Elite Clubs and Feeder Clubs.

He is being booed for behaving like a brat and disrespecting the game itself. I won't encourage it, but I can understand it.
He’s also trash from Christies Downs

Don't understand Ken's* thinking.

Losing clearances and having your fast running mids space get shut down.

Better put your big bodied mid who won a Brownlow two years ago at half forward and the wing.

Oh and the other big bodied sex pest mid. Nah keep him up forward.

They needed a big body in there at all times. Butters is good when he hits the ball at pace and gets clear, but a few times him and Dawson going for the same ball, Dawson just too big in comparison.

We used the same game plan that we did in the first game this year. I haven't seen any other club do this but it's definitely the blueprint for Port. we mostly forced them to be man on man by manning up on turnovers. This shuts down their outnumbering a kick behind play and I don't think their players are used to having someone on them at all times. Massively out coached. They did get a lot of re entries I think in the second quarter and a bit the third, but couldn't get into free space.

* Could be Carr

It’s why teams claim not to tag, it throws out the midfield structure and balance

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I feel like when I've seen port play well this year, their half backs (Houston, Burton, Farrell) have got lots of the ball coming through the middle. They've had deep f50 entries and that's how they've been creating scores. I don't think it's a surprise that we shut those players out and they didn't look dangerous.

Butters and Rozee (how good are they!) can only get you so far.

Good:

Walker dominant and should have had 8 goals. Hard to see him not getting AA with Curnow and would be one of the most deserved key forward selections. He's playing a complete role this year

Dawson, Crouch

Tackling. When we're on here we win (like most teams really).

Hinge as usual. He's tracking to be an AA half back imo. Similar to Maynard. What a pick up!

Milera. Thought his game last week wasn't far off this week, but we won so there was less heat on his 1 or 2 turnovers like there normally is (despite all the other good things he does). Probably best game for a long time. Think the gold coast game he was also very good.

Defence held up really well.

Laird

Fog much better.

McAdam was very lively in that first quarter and got us going. I think he's an important part of our forward line and it's a real shame his season got derailed by that suspension. He was looking real sharp in the pre season and adds another dimension to the forward line. I reckon having him in the side all year would see us with a couple more wins.

Nank. Had a 2nd game more in line with what you'd expect. Made a few nervy looking errors (where he didn't in his debut), but also continued to show some promising signs. I don't think his body would have survived a whole year imo. Extremely skinny. Hopefully he plays out the year and has a big pre season. Would like to see what he's capable of up the field more.

Keane. Pretty good debut for us! Dixon was playing pretty well and he managed to curb his influence up forward - beating him in some 1v1s. Think he has a future. Has a massive rump!

Schoenberg pretty decent game. Would have been nice to cap it off with a goal. Hard to tell if he's gonna make it still and at the moment you'd predict him as a 3rd or 4th mid at best. He does provide something different.

Worrell is more than capable as a key defender while Murray and Butts are injured. That's gonna be his role for the next 12 months imo.

Average:

TT. Continues to only show moments of his talent. Still seems quite immature as a player, but it's probably time he grew out of that phase. Should dominate against a weak defence and ruck.

Keays. I think his hard running does still provide value to the forward line. He creates a link that probably wouldn't be there otherwise. His kicking has almost gotten worse somehow though. Think he's a good depth player going forward but it's time to replace him in the 22 unless we have a defensive forward job for him.

Murphy. Not a bad start but faded into typical Murphy territory where it's hard to see what value he's bringing. If he's not tackling, smothering or getting quick clearances, he's not really doing anything. 12 handballs I think sums this up.

Soligo. Hit some sublime kicks when in space, but he's still really struggling in tight and looks completely out of place this year on the inside. I've lost count the amount of times this year he's tried a fend off and been done htb. He needs to be coached out of that habit while he's still too small. I would be using him more on the outside until his body matures (to use his skills). Hasn't come on as a pure mid this year like I thought. Needs a big pre season in the weights room.

O'Brien probably should have done better against such an average ruck division. Started well but then probably had a 50/50 outcome after that.

Bad:

Pedlar. Struggling late in the year even with the bread and butter stuff. Let's hope for an injury free pre season and a move into the midfield next year. Still on track for 30 goals, which is a fantastic year. I think it's we happen to look good for a finals spot, give him a rest against WC.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say he gets booed for draft tampering. He was never staying at north.
I just think he’s a big of a FIGJAM and people will keep booing him because of that. Funny how he went up behind Crouch late in the 3rd quarter, for no reason at all, and gave him a wack on the head. He def fits the Port Adelaide image.

They are an optimistic bunch down the road..this one from their board

'No Rachelle. No Rankine. And that result. We won’t win against this mob for a longtime.'
Hopefully they are right!!

Finally got to watching the replay:

This is a hard one to take a lot out of, after all, it's been a trademark of Hinkleys coaching tenure that when there is a high-stakes match, Port find a way to lose. We played excellent, that said.

Great:

Tex: probably should had 9, but I can't be too critical.

Hinge: Monster game. Lot of drive off half back and took SPP to the cleaners.

Milera and Dawson got off the chain and made sure Adelaide attack had a fair bit of punch to it.

That said, Keane was my best on ground. That 15 minute period in the second quarter where he brick walled Dixon was the difference between us winning and losing this match. Allowed us to absorb a counter-punch after we wasted a fair ours.

The way we were reliably generating shots 30-40 m out. We made Ports defense a mess.

Good:

Crouch return to form. We've needed a reliable clearance player to partner Laird for a while and he showed a bit of that 2017 AA winning form as well. Would be very handy if he could return to that level.

Fogarty played a very good second fiddle. Could have been a monster night in his own regard, seeing he let a few shots he'd normally sink slip, but he was a handful.

Worrell has really grown as a defender, and that two-way CHB doesn't look out of the question anymore.

Murphy amd Soligo had neat games. Neither really did much wrong.

Wasn't big nights for either Michaelanny or Pedlar, but both had a few moments here and there that reminded the world they are monster talents.

Bad:

Can't say I get the hype for Nankervis from that game. Looked like a kid who was selected too early, but at least he had two moments which indicated there is something there.

Thilthorpe had one of those games. Created enough opportunities to have 3-4 goals but wasted them (seeing he missed two and fumbled a few easy marks).

Butts with a foot injury.

All in all, job done and we've improved on our 2022 W/L record.

Two other points.

For Evans, I counted 1 goal against Nank, 1 against Jones (this was actually quality) and I didn't notice who was on him for the other 2 (guessing Nank due to his inexperience).

I keep waiting for Rozee and Butters to either be tackled and force a stoppage, or make a mistake. Both of these things almost never happen. I think all you need to do with port is make sure they're only doing damage in the middle or back half of the ground. So long as they're not getting the ball in space forward of centre. Port don't have the cattle to be a threat without these two creating play going forward. Nullifying Houston also the other key.

Two other points.

For Evans, I counted 1 goal against Nank, 1 against Jones (this was actually quality) and I didn't notice who was on him for the other 2 (guessing Nank due to his inexperience).

I keep waiting for Rozee and Butters to either be tackled and force a stoppage, or make a mistake. Both of these things almost never happen. I think all you need to do with port is make sure they're only doing damage in the middle or back half of the ground. So long as they're not getting the ball in space forward of centre. Port don't have the cattle to be a threat without these two creating play going forward. Nullifying Houston also the other key.

There was a stat in the broadcast where they mentioned Port had the highest % time in the forward half in the league which really backs this up. They really don't have a reliable method to score goals and are just brute forcing it.

We're probably one of the few teams that are genuinely built to counter that style of football as well, seeing how much of a counter-attacking side we are.

Back