List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard unsavory decision re list management will have to be made, if we’re to be considered serious contenders in the next 5 years of so.
We actually have a list capable of being very close to top 4 if we have our best players playing close to their best.

We are now playing closer to our full capabilities than earlier in the season.
Not at all convinced Gresham is worth significant $ to be honest based on his output the last 2-3 years.

Port Adelaide are 2nd not sure their list is better than our list to be honest.

Thought we had something to work with in his first few outings, but that was the highpoint. Very limited feel for the game.

As opposed to Owies who has none of Honey's physical attributes but knows when and where to bob up.
If we could splice the 2 together we'd have an absolute gun.

We actually have a list capable of winning it if we have our best players playing close to their best.

We are now playing closer to our full capabilities than earlier in the season.
Not at all convinced Gresham is worth significant $ to be honest based on his output the last 2-3 years.

Port Adelaide are 2nd not sure their list is better than our list to be honest.
EFA

We need a hungry Gresham keen to make an impact, though, not checked-out passenger Gresham.
Do we know that a hungry Gresham is a thing. We will have to over pay to get him out of the Saints (unless they have no interest in him which kind of says all we need to know).

I can't see the reason to cut deep if we are going to fill the list with draft picks in the 70s.

Jack would be my number 1 of those too, but Gov will take a huge haircut on his next contract, and Marchy will be on minimum.
We don't need to clear that much space.
Still feel McGovern & Kemp and Marchbank competing for the same roles, another genuine KPD is probably a required.

l was hoping we may be a chance for Daniel Curtin mid season.

Do we know that a hungry Gresham is a thing. We will have to over pay to get him out of the Saints (unless they have no interest in him which kind of says all we need to know).

I can't see the reason to cut deep if we are going to fill the list with draft picks in the 70s.
Gresham ticks every Carlton circa 2005-2020 box.

Significant injury history:thumbsu:
High profile :thumbsu:
Overpaid :thumbsu:
Went for Blues as a kid :thumbsu:
Played well against us :thumbsu:
Questionable work ethic :thumbsu:
We're sure we can recuperate him:thumbsu:

I am sold - We must get him at any cost.

Motlop's last 4 weeks give me confidence we are right for this position.

Still feel McGovern & Kemp and Marchbank competing for the same roles, another genuine KPD is probably a required.

l was hoping we may be a chance for Daniel Curtin mid season.
I think they can all play in the same team, and certainly on the same list.
Depends a bit on what happens with Durdin.
But I would definitely want to find a KPD in the draft.

I think we can probably make a call on Marchbank in the next few weeks. It was very noticeable at the game on Friday how he takes that little bit too long to get it on the boot. Combine that with his injury issues and I'm not sure we give him another year.

I think we can probably make a call on Marchbank in the next few weeks. It was very noticeable at the game on Friday how he takes that little bit too long to get it on the boot. Combine that with his injury issues and I'm not sure we give him another year.
Will be a tough call to flick a premiership defender.

Can't expect a guy whose first game in a year (with only 4 games in the preceding 3 years) against top of the ladder team in front of 87 thousand to be at his absolute best.

He is quality. Listen to what his teammates say about him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gresham, if committed to a fresh start, and demonstrates he wants to feature in finals footy with us, he’d be good asset to attract whilst Charlie & Harry are at their peak over next 3 or 4 years. He’d be a weapon immediately the ball hits the ground.
However , I‘ll leave the decision to Austin, Cook & Voss.

Can't expect a guy whose first game in a year (with only 4 games in the preceding 3 years) against top of the ladder team in front of 87 thousand to be at his absolute best.

He is quality. Listen to what his teammates say about him.
I'd expect we retain him, just think next year will be more of the same. His body has given us plenty of time to make a call.

How the club approaches the futures of Owies & JSOS will be interesting.
Both are ahead of their competitors for a spot & have both shown more than we probably thought them capable this year but the expectation appears to be that those waiting in wings will in time, surpass them.
With that in mind, it'll be interesting to follow how aggressive our LM team is with their retention.
Do we offer a deal similar to Pittonet to retain solid depth or shorter deals to maintain flexibility but run the risk of losing them?

I'd expect we retain him, just think next year will be more of the same. His body has given us plenty of time to make a call.
I like Marchbank he'e quality when he can move freely, turns 27 in December , so its a tough call, if were're lucky we may get a couple of uninterrupted seasons yet, who knows?. All our perenially injured players are a risk going forward it will be a delicate & difficult decison an awakward balacing act given their age they 'll be prone to injuries, Docherty 30 in October , Martin and Gov both 28, Williams 29, we need think about refreshing gradually as we more talent and importantly durability in the list.

Durdin C.& Molop were astute selections by Austin, we did weel for picks around 28/30, both talented, reasonably durable, should have long careers in Navy Blue.
Motlop is beginning to look the goods but I don't know how you can make the call on Durdin just yet, he's been too inconsistent. If a club such as Adelaide offered up a second round pick (given how few picks we have this year) I wouldn't be losing any sleep over it if he left.

Last edited:
I like Marchbank he'e quality when he can move freely, turns 27 in December , so its a tough call, if were're lucky we may get a couple of uninterrupted seasons yet, who knows?. All our perenially injured players are a risk going forward it will be a delicate & difficult decison an awakward balacing act given their age they 'll be prone to injuries, Docherty 30 in October , Martin and Gov both 28, Williams 29, we need think about refreshing gradually as we more talent and importantly durability in the list.
not sure this is true. in a team of 18 teams, I think we need to maximise our chance for a flag while we still have our older stars on the list. Cripps/Doch in particular - while these 2 are still guns I'd like to see us make smart acquisitions to fill out any holes now (like a barrass, despite being 27).

I'd love to have heaps of young talent building up in our 2s but don't think this is realistic if we want to go all in on a flag in the next 3 years.

Motlop is beginning to look the goods but I don't know how you can make the call on Durdin just yet, he's been too inconsistent. If a club such as Adelaide offered up a second round pick this year (given how few picks we have this year) I wouldn't be losing any sleep over it if he left.
Poor call IMO. I would need to see Durdin playing under our new game style. Our old game style made just about everyone look poor on field.

Needs are:

1. Medium forward similar to Jack Martin. Quick, good overhead, good skills likes the physical stuff.

2. Fast inside mid. Cerra, Walsh, Docherty and Dow do that job. Recent changes in the game have opened things up for mids who can close in on the man and lose ball quickly as well as break away from stoppages and run forward with the ball. They apply elite pressure. Running forward with the ball creates space for forwards and breaks open team's zones (team defence). New rules have opened the game up at stoppages and in open play and that means you need less slow inside mids and more quick inside mids than you would have in the past. Walsh and Cerra have been injured a lot. Docherty getting older and probably better for us if he is wing/half back for us. Dow possibly going or us needing an upgrade. Cerra becoming more an inside extractor type than run and carry type. IMO we need another player similar to Walsh who can run all day, read the game, rack up possessions and give us that run through and carry from the stoppages. Ideally want two developing in the twos who are good enough to play the odd game and step up from time to time.

3. Key defender. Looking at the current side, we could do with a genuine key defender. Kemp playing as the second tall defender, he's not really tall enough. Someone with a bit extra size and height as well as the pace to defend one on one and run off and who can mark and kick well. I would not be surprised if we looked to recruit a mature one and a developing one.

That's probably the most important needs for us at the draft. You could add running half back to the list seeing as Docherty and Saad are getting older. Someone who is elite in their kicking and pace who can find the footy. So a Saad type. We're good for small defenders really. Good for medium defenders. Probably a tall defender short. Wingers we are really good for. Big heavy inside mids we are good. Burst mids, we could do with a couple developing IMO. Medium forwards we are ok with but we could improve here by adding elite talent. Tall forwards we are ok. Small forwards we are pretty good with and we have plenty of ruckmen.

I think we have the players to win a premiership. I don't know if we have the depth to cover injuries.
1. Liam Ryan or Taryn Thomas
2. Will Lorenz
3. Re-sign Marchbank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back