List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If the Fog is re-signed, do we need to go the Gresham path (has a little more pace)?
Gresham is way more talented however seems lazy … therefore Fog is ahead of him … would only consider Gresham if he was coming over to be part of successful outfit where he works hard for his place in the team otherwise don’t think we need him at this stage …

He’s been super impressive since coming back, all of the above spot on…
Kicking a bit iffy and lack of goals are the only couple of knocks on his game…
Fog has been doing an amazing job up forward.
Just hope his good form forward (which has been constant application of pressure & intent) doesn’t suddenly make him a midfield option - he’s not.
The very occasional chop out is fine, but he is not a quality mid rotation.

Don't think Dow would be worried about his career, it's just about whether or not it continues with the Blues.

Dow has been in the system 6 years, played more VFL than AFL footy, and struggled to cement his spot in [until recently] an ordinary Carlton side.

I think Dow will be on an AFL list in 2024 but anyone on the fringe of the AFL system earning minimum money should be extremely worried about their future. I don't see him playing AFL football in ~3 years from now at any club.

If I was Dow's manager I would be instructing him to go to a club where there is little competition for midfield spots. Changing clubs gives him the best possible chance of career longevity. For example, if he went to a club like the Eagles I think he plays 22 games in 2024. If he says with Carlton he's straight back in the VFL as soon as we're healthy.

Dow has been in the system 6 years, played more VFL than AFL footy, and struggled to cement his spot in [until recently] an ordinary Carlton side.

I think Dow will be on an AFL list in 2024 but anyone on the fringe of the AFL system earning minimum money should be extremely worried about their future. I don't see him playing AFL football in ~3 years from now at any club.

If I was Dow's manager I would be instructing him to go to a club where there is little competition for midfield spots. Changing clubs gives him the best possible chance of career longevity. For example, if he went to a club like the Eagles I think he plays 22 games in 2024. If he says with Carlton he's straight back in the VFL as soon as we're healthy.
I think he still has a career at Carlton as permanent sub after Ed retires of course …

Next two weeks will be defining - if he is actually named on the ground as a starting inside mid this week & produces a good game by his standards (vfl form) he won’t be dropped in a hurry.
If he doesn’t, it’s - too bad, so sad.
Needs a full game, named as a starting mid (on the ground), with orders to get ball & cause havoc & have a supporting crew of run to feed it to.
Needs to be given full support.

So he's not playing to save his career in the next few games?

I think it's not just a club with a thin midfield, he needs to find a group that has a midfield group with predominantly different skillsets/strengths to him. A club that has more of the running types with clean disposal but don't really have a 'fast hands, get the ball forward quickly' type of player and could benefit from adding that to their mix.

Although he'd want to clean up his ball use. His low possession games (late sub) across rd 12, 13 & 14 he totaled 24 disposals of which 19 were deemed effective (79%). His most recent games (rd 18, 19, & 20) he totaled 48 disposals, of which 24 were deemed effective (50%).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not true. Has played more AFL than VFL in his time at the club.

I don't think so. Been in the system long enough that all clubs know what he brings.
Dow is going to be very important for us the next fortnight with Walsh & Cerra gone.
He actually made a solid contribution in the 2nd half against Collingwood.

He will have a number of offers on the table for next year which he will elect to take for more mid field opportunities.
Sure he will do better than some on here believe.

Dow is going to be very important for us the next fortnight with Walsh & Cerra gone.

He will have a number of offers on the table for next year which he will elect to take for more mid field opportunities.
I would like Dow to concentrate on 3 things:
1. Defensive chasing and tackling with intent. Not being satisfied with trailing an opponent.
2. Only handball off to teammates who are not hot and already under pressure.
3. Use your legs to drive forwards and run the ball forwards.

I think JSOS will re-sign. Decoding Cook's comments the other day, I get the feeling JSOS is doing more the team thing has a verbal remuneration offered and is awaiting for other contracts to be sorted so then the club can jig front/back-loading and tenure of his contract to suit. As much as there is some tension between SOS and the club, deep down the CFC is family to them and I think the legacy will continue for a few more years.

Better than some believe but not as well as others seem to.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

1. Liam Ryan or Taryn Thomas
Ryan is talented but that hamstring injury sounds serious. I also doubt he’d be able to handle a move to Melbourne as he genuinely struggles with the “bright lights” of Perth.

A hard “no” on Thomas for me. The bloke is unreliable and likely to let the club down with his behaviour/work ethic.

2. Will Lorenz

Possibly although I reckon we’d possibly trade back slightly to get him or trade for a second round pick. That said I would prefer us looking at a key defender like O’Sullivan with our first pick if he’s still available.

3. Re-sign Marchbank

A lot will depend on how he hoes over the next month. If he break down I’d say he’s done.

This would be ideal.
Not sure who would sell us a first though, maybe an early 2nd?
Or a 2nd this year and an F2?
Our list strategy the end of the year promises to be fascinating. No doubt we're looking to 2024 to bid on the Campo twins as an end point.

I tend to think that our future 1st is definitely up for grabs, but may depend on the offers forthcoming, and what other club's list strategies look like. The Swans would potentially be eyeing it off if they're looking to gain draft capital next year if they're chasing a Ben King. They currently have picks 22 and 28 this year, so could offer one of those as well as a future 2nd for our future 1st.

Cows currently have picks 20 and 29, so could also potentially offer up one of these and a future 2nd. Same with Melbourne with picks 23 and 34.

Or we could also look to trade if we're targeting a player either at the end of this year or 2024; ie trade our 1st round pick for player x and a 2024 2nd rounder.

At the very least, I'd be hoping that we'd be looking to somehow get a 3rd round pick this year. WCE will have picks 38 and 55, so if Fish ends up there I'd be hoping for pick 38, although pick 55 should come in a fair bit after the academy picks have been burnt.

Either way, it promises to be a good ride the end of the year.

Motlop is beginning to look the goods but I don't know how you can make the call on Durdin just yet, he's been too inconsistent. If a club such as Adelaide offered up a second round pick (given how few picks we have this year) I wouldn't be losing any sleep over it if he left.
From what I hear, here in the North Eastern suburbs of Adelaide and knowing people in his junior club, Durdin is very happy in Melbourne and has no intent on returning to Adelaide. Obviously, that could change but a trade with Adelaide wouldn't be the first team I'd be dealing with. Also, I'd keep the kid. He's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back