List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trading Harry shouldn't be off the table. But I'll like to see how we go without him over the next month before we make that call. Now TDK is staying, I think we are to tall up forward and we still need more depth in our Rucks. I think a win win trade would be with Melbourne. Grundy, pick 4 and something else for Harry. With pick 4 we can get either Watson, Duursma or Caddy to add to our forward mix. Also with Kennedy, Cripps and Hewett we are too slow in the midfield. Kennedy could play forward as a 3rd tall and rotate with Cripps. (Kennedy 70% forward and Cripps 30% forward) both would need to work on there goal kicking over the preseason.

HF Martin TDK Cuningham
F Kennedy Curnow Motlop
With either pick 4, Fogarty, Owies or Durdin off the Bench

I didn't include JSOS because I think he is leaving

Yet Harry is easily the fastest, most agile 200cm ++ dude playing the game...

He and Chuck (and Vossy) just need to work out how best they fit on the field.

That's ok.

Get Watson and Ryan and our forward line is complete and probably the best in the competition by some margin. How we do that I have no idea...

Trading Harry shouldn't be off the table. But I'll like to see how we go without him over the next month before we make that call. Now TDK is staying, I think we are to tall up forward and we still need more depth in our Rucks. I think a win win trade would be with Melbourne. Grundy, pick 4 and something else for Harry. With pick 4 we can get either Watson, Duursma or Caddy to add to our forward mix. Also with Kennedy, Cripps and Hewett we are too slow in the midfield. Kennedy could play forward as a 3rd tall and rotate with Cripps. (Kennedy 70% forward and Cripps 30% forward) both would need to work on there goal kicking over the preseason.

HF Martin TDK Cuningham
F Kennedy Curnow Motlop
With either pick 4, Fogarty, Owies or Durdin off the Bench

I didn't include JSOS because I think he is leaving
My oath it should. I don't want to be one of those stupid clubs that pay players to play against them. He will be a superstar, has the potential to be part of the best fwd combination of all time. No way should we even joke about it, never ever ever.

That's fine, you're entitled to your perspective.
IMO he was dropping marks & missing sitters and at times clearly down on confidence - to the point where our supporters were calling for him to be dropped.
His best games were played closer to goal where he hit the scoreboard & created opportunities for his teammates.
He was definitely having the best year of his career, best CHF in the league imo

David Cuningham
Injury prone and barely featuring at senior level these last three years. However, David Cuningham has likely earned himself another one-year deal across this last month. He is clearly in Carlton’s best 22 when healthy. He deserves a crack at a full pre-season.
Verdict: One-year deal

Caleb Marchbank
Cuningham and Marchbank are in similar boats. Both injury prone, but both with high upside if they can find themselves playing consistent football. Do the Blues keep both around in 2024 and roll the dice that they’ll be available? A one-year deal for Marchbank makes the most sense barring any further significant injury setbacks.

Ed Curnow
Ed has been a stalwart at the Blues for a long time, but after being rookie listed last year and with numerous players going past him in the pecking order, it’s probably time to hang up the boots.
Verdict: Retire

Jack Silvagni
Now that Tom de Koning has been re-signed, it’s time for Carlton to get Jack Silvagni his contract. The ultimate Swiss Army knife, Silvagni can play second or third tall inside 50, second ruck, loose in defence or in the midfield. Silvagni is in Carlton’s best 22, is consistently the highest effort player in the team and does whatever is required of him. Letting him leave would be a mistake.
Verdict: Give the man a three-year deal already

Josh Honey
A small forward with some creative brilliance at times, but has had a few chances and not taken them at AFL level, unfortunately.
Verdict: Delisted

Lachlan Fogarty
A lock to be on the chopping block two months ago, Fogarty has played the last six games and earned his spot in the side with strong tackle pressure, hard running and versatility on-ball and forward. He’s earned himself a contract for 2024.

Lachlan Plowman
Played 125 games for Carlton since making the move from GWS at the end of 2015, but has fallen out of favour under Michael Voss. The likes of Nic Newman, Alex Cincotta, Jordan Boyd and Lachie Cowan have gone past him, while Zac Williams returns next year and Caleb Marchbank is currently fit.
Lachie Plowman’s time in navy blue seems certain to come to and end at the end of the season.

Mitch McGovern
McGovern has had his best season in Carlton colours, but does that make up for the years stuck on the injury list while making big money? The Blues should re-sign the soon-to-be 29-year-old and should keep him around, but it would have to be on reduced cash with games-played based incentives.
Verdict: Two-year deal

Paddy Dow
Paddy Dow is clearly not in Carlton’s future plans. With Sam Walsh and Matt Kennedy out of the side, he still found himself omitted following 21 disposals against West Coast. However, Adam Cerra's injury has opened the door for maybe his biggest opportunity in three years this week. The Blues don't seem to trust him at AFL level, particularly given their on-ball depth when everyone is healthy. If you’re Carlton? Sign Dow up for another year to keep him around as depth. But Dow will surely request a trade and a fresh start, and fair enough.
Verdict: Dow requests a trade elsewhere

Sam Durdin
Brought in as key defensive depth, Durdin has been unable to get a look in this year. However, if Jacob Weitering was to get injured tomorrow suddenly they might be looking in Durdin’s direction. You have 44 spots on your list, it’s worth keeping the ready-made key defender around, even if he doesn’t play a game next year. You'd rather have him and not need him than need him and not have him.
Verdict: Keep around as a rookie

Sam Philp
One of Stephen Silvagni’s speculative first round pick selections, Philp hasn’t had a clean run at it.
Philp has played two games since being drafted in 2019. Unfortunately, it feels like one of those careers completely derailed by injuries.

Jack Silvagni
Now that Tom de Koning has been re-signed, it’s time for Carlton to get Jack Silvagni his contract. The ultimate Swiss Army knife, Silvagni can play second or third tall inside 50, second ruck, loose in defence or in the midfield. Silvagni is in Carlton’s best 22, is consistently the highest effort player in the team and does whatever is required of him. Letting him leave would be a mistake.
Verdict: Give the man a three-year deal already

yup

I wouldn't be against getting Chad Wingard on the cheap he would absolutely kill it in our forwardline, would rather him than Gresham tbh
Imagine this as a forwardline
FF Wingard McKay Motlop
HF Martin Curnow Cunningham
Rotations. Owies, Durdin, Silvagni, Fogarty,Cottrell

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

I wouldn't be against getting Chad Wingard on the cheap he would absolutely kill it in our forwardline, would rather him than Gresham tbh
Imagine this as a forwardline
FF Wingard McKay Motlop
HF Martin Curnow Cunningham
Rotations. Owies, Durdin, Silvagni, Fogarty,Cottrell
Absolutely not to both Wingard and/or Gresham.

If we trade Dow instead of renegotiating his contract, that leaves us with virtually zero midfield depth. (Carroll has talent, but too passive for me)
Gresham could assist the midfield, but I don't see his positives(including price to obtain) outweighing Dow's input.
Hewitt is the interesting one. Good player, appears to have returned to form, but we don't need 3 of Cripps, Kennedy and George(similar types)
I'd try and keep Dow(could improve his defence but adds zip and fast ball movement) then trade George, Fish and Carroll, go hard at the draft for 2 of Duursma, Sanchez or Tholstrup types(all competitive, mid/forwards)

If we trade Dow instead of renegotiating his contract, that leaves us with virtually zero midfield depth. (Carroll has talent, but too passive for me)
Gresham could assist the midfield, but I don't see his positives(including price to obtain) outweighing Dow's input.
Hewitt is the interesting one. Good player, appears to have returned to form, but we don't need 3 of Cripps, Kennedy and George(similar types)
I'd try and keep Dow(could improve his defence but adds zip and fast ball movement) then trade George, Fish and Carroll, go hard at the draft for 2 of Duursma, Sanchez or Tholstrup types(all competitive, mid/forwards)
I don't agree that we don't have any depth, and we're not trading George half way though his FA contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't agree that we don't have any depth, and we're not trading George half way though his FA contract.
Why should a 2 year(remaining)free agency contract differ from, say Fish's 2 years, except George is quality and his contracted trade value would be far higher?(and also removes his salary)
I'm just looking at replacing 'types' that we could afford to lose, that may increase our 2023 draft picks, to use on quality kids in positions of more need.

All sensible contracts which I agree with.

I've seen some people here say they would like to rookie or keep Philp - IF he got his body right, would he be worth persevering with?

Yes rookie him as he has upside and we drafted him as a point of difference and we still need that skill set so one more chance if we can afford the spot

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I've seen some people here say they would like to rookie or keep Philp - IF he got his body right, would he be worth persevering with?
I think it's going to depend both on internal assessment of him, and how many list spots we end up with, as well as what currency we receive.

Why should a 2 year(remaining)free agency contract differ from, say Fish's 2 years, except George is quality and his contracted trade value would be far higher?(and also removes his salary)
I'm just looking at replacing 'types' that we could afford to lose, that may increase our 2023 draft picks, to use on quality kids in positions of more need.

I don’t know who would give up anything of value for Hewett, especially a side Hewett would be happy to go to. I’m also not sure if Dow replaces the loss of Walsh or Cerra any better then what Hewett would. TBH I think Gresham would be better replacing their midfield minutes if needed and Hewett taking over from Kennedy and Cripps if injured.

I don’t know who would give up anything of value for Hewett, especially a side Hewett would be happy to go to. I’m also not sure if Dow replaces the loss of Walsh or Cerra any better then what Hewett would. TBH I think Gresham would be better replacing their midfield minutes if needed and Hewett taking over from Kennedy and Cripps if injured.
I'm just looking at hypothetical trades were we could afford to lose a good player of value that we have cover for.
What do you reckon Georges draft value would be, and who else on our list meets these benchmarks?

TLDR version:

We’re not trading Hewett.

I'm just looking at hypothetical trades were we could afford to lose a good player of value that we have cover for.
What do you reckon Georges draft value would be, and who else on our list meets these benchmarks?
'Do we really have cover for him though?

I don't see anyone who can play his role even remotely as well as he can. Unless you're backing in a 34 year old Ed Curnow to have a career renaissance, in all likelihood after his retirement from AFL footy.

I don’t think he would be worth more then a pick in the 40’s. He would probably only be open to going to a contender and I can’t think of a contender who would chase him. Best case would be someone like Essendon and I doubt they would be keen unless he is being near given away but certainly not for a second rounder.
Hewett’s a good player but very few sides are looking for that type, especially sides he would be interested in. He was a good fit for us when we thought Setterfield and Kennedy weren’t going to make it.

More general list management than pure draft, but the conversation is in here regarding our future first.

Then there is our bulging rookie list, with pending requirements for upgrades. Then there are Boyd and Mirkov who were mid year signings and will complete 2 1/2 years on a list when they must be upgraded after 3 years. I am making an assumption that they require an upgrade this year rather than next, or to be re-rookied.

Definitely List Management.

Your assumption re: Boyd and Mirkov is wrong, they can stay on the Rookie List for another year.

As to the rest of your post, next year is definitely tight for list spots/uncontracted players. But also, who knows what will happen with total list numbers and rules. I think there is a very reasonable possibility that these will change again.

As for this year, I don't think it will be that hard to create the 3-4 list spots that we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back