Review Round 21, 2023 - Fremantle vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Fremantle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

All future games we win are to be thrashings of our opponents please boys.....love that you did win today but you need to think of us oldies, close games

like that could be costly to our supporter/membership base next year due to fast arising health issues watching your current style of play..

Fages, you surely must understand what I'm saying, so please rectify this problem asap. I want to enjoy our games not end up in hospital!

....that was tough going but well done boys for hanging in there. You won, away:thumbsu:

That’s the type of win I have been waiting for, away from home come from behind victory…..gold.
FWIW I definitely prefer old fashioned start to finish hidings of our opponents.

maybe his number 1 fan should acknowledge that 'fagans pets' which he loves to bash including zorko, berry and mccarthy were amongst our best players today

maybe he should also acknowledge that a player he has long advocated be in the side in fort was woeful?

Hey 3kz, what'd you think of fort?

I wasn't impressed. His connection with the mids wasn't great and that could be expected first game back, but I thought he offered a lot less around the ground. And he got physically pushed around a lot. Wouldn't think that's any different between the two levels so showed a deficiency.

For me, tonight put me firmly in the BigO camp.

scraped by. Nothing to really take out of that meek performance.

Just more question marks over game plan, personnel, and game day coaching.

Rest up and prepare for next week. ANOTHER danger game.
Can always take something out of every performance, good bad or indifferent.

I really liked prior out there tonight.

Hate too see either go.
Thought he was good and doesn't deserve to be dropped after that effort. I expect Kiddy to be straight back in but think it would be good to see if Prior could back up. Maybe rest Fletcher or McKenna for a week to freshen them up before finals

It was a plucky win.

Still battling for form, but the desire that was lacking last week was evident today from first bounce till final siren. Ah, lord, if we can rediscover whatever that was we had for half a game vs Melbourne, there’s a flag there just begging to be taken.

Cal Ah Chee probably having the best string of games of his career.

Keen for some rewengay against the croze next week.

I had a think of that after the match. Was Fort bad. Were our mids bad. Or was it that they were out-of sync that made them all look bad.
Bit of both maybe. Jackson looked too athletic and was jumping and running away from Fort ( especially early he looked too mobile). Dubkley was too focused on Serong, while Neale was well tagged out.

Sync was way off for sure

Just had a friendly debate about 'players played well tonight because we won' v ' if we'd lost by one point it would be catastrophe'.

My defence - tonight we showed that we can still run and gun.

Lots of fumbling and overrunning but plenty of quick movements to get the ball out of congestion and hitting targets.

This is the style that saw us win earlier in the season and it was great to see it in action again.

We did not see this last week at all.

It builds belief that we are working our way back to our best at a critical point of the season.

Not at the top of our game yet, but a lot closer than last week.

I think people are putting up examples because you seem so insistent that Froggy is the perfect player and incapable of making mistakes.

FWIW IMO he was great today.
Nah I think people are putting up examples because their egos don't allow them to say they got it wrong with Lester. He's been unbelievable for us down back.

Slight change of role for Rayner today? I noticed he was getting a lot higher up the ground than usual which allowed him to set the play up from behind.

Thought our forward setup in general looked a bit different today, especially our half forwards. Seemed to work quite well and they all chipped in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just had a friendly debate about 'players played well tonight because we won' v ' if we'd lost by one point it would be catastrophe'.

Lots of fumbling and overrunning but plenty of quick movements to get the ball out of congestion and hitting targets.

This is the style that saw us win earlier in the season and it was great to see it in action again.

It builds belief that we are working our way back to our best at a critical point of the season.

Showed it in the second half , God knows why we play slow chip kick footy , simply doesn't make since.

THE GOOD

Berry - ran his guts out, cracked in, nice goal

Daniher- looked off but really lifted

Lachie - lifting off the canvass in the last quarter

Linc kept us in it early

Zorko looked better and his kicking was excellent

Rayner stayed involved. Always does well when he does

Gunston doing what he needs to - getting to a good spot a couple of times, converting. Even laid a tackle to set up our first goal

Just the WIN - coming back from 16 points down against a hostile crowd. Huge

THE BAD

Mckenna’s kicking for the second week in a row

Lachie suffocating under a tag again. And the midfield not lifting around him

The early umpiring - couldn’t buy one and lost all the 50/50s

Fort’s chances of number one ruckman - he kept trying but his opponent killed us and then Fort cramped. Still like him as a back-up

THE UGLY

Fagan and the sub - honestly did he think it was an injury sub? Tight game with tired players, midfield struggling, he waits until 5 minutes to go? We are the worst users of the sub in the comp

My bank balance - happy to lose on this occasion :)

I don't think posters were worried about LesterFan3KZ (also still available or you could petition Chief for a username change) being annoyed by a gazillion Lester-related posts ... it is the slow creation of Lester-hate due to over-Lesteritis on the part of those who prefer not to use the ignore function but whose joy in post-reading is getting blighted by Lester-creep across many otherwise enjoyable threads.

Self-moderation is a wonderful thing... perhaps you (edit - you being 3KZ not Malice) might want to check out Marcus Aurelius ...

I did Ancient History in the first year of my undergraduate degree at the University of Melbourne in 1981. I was fortunate enough to be taught by the eminent Classical Historian, Ian Robertson. Marcus Aurelius was a great ruler and he was the embodiment of the theoretical ‘Philosopher King’ that Plato proposed in The Republic. Personally, I have always found Epicureanism more compelling than Stoicism. While it is not an academic text, I can recommend Daniel Klein’s Travels With Epicurus as a great exploration of the influence of Epicurus on the way Greeks live their lives in old age today. You should start a Classical philosophy thread Viceregal.

Last edited:
Beat a side that has a high ceiling away from home despite two of our main midfielders struggling to even pick up the ball without fumbling. So thumbs up.

I was just thinking about something similar myself actually. You just know the media narrative this week is going to be “jeez Brisbane only scraped by over a 15th placed Freo”, when if Freo won all the talk would be about how good they looked, showing shades of what they did last year, etc etc.

In reality I thought both sides played pretty well tonight. Like you said plenty of room for improvement for us, but was still a rousing performance.

Credit where credit is due and I thought Zorko was fantastic today; kept his head down and was a crucial player today. TBH, thought he looked pretty cooked the past few weeks and he looked good. Same with Jerry; impressive today, wish he was just more consistent.

Joey was great again today - he should go close to winning the B&F which would be a massive achievement and way more impressve than winning any goalkicng award.

Disappointed at how Dev was treated today. Given how poor we were at centre bounces - I just dont understand why he isnt starting inside mid and when he is brought in, played on a wing. To his credit, had some important momnets late.

Good to see us winning without Dunks and Lach being in the bests - wouldve been the first time this year that happened.

Hate to say it but another disgraceful effort by the umps. Completely sucked in by the home crowd and had there blinkers on with anything Lions and that free against Joe and non-50 to Eric just showed what cheating crooks these pricks were.How the AFL ticks off on muppets like this at the top levei is pitiful - and yet no one can say anything about it.

Hey 3kz, what'd you think of fort?

I wasn't impressed. His connection with the mids wasn't great and that could be expected first game back, but I thought he offered a lot less around the ground. And he got physically pushed around a lot. Wouldn't think that's any different between the two levels so showed a deficiency.

For me, tonight put me firmly in the BigO camp.
Both Neale and Dunkley were struggling a fair bit. One touch wasn't there yesterday until really late in the game. Some of Fort's better taps didn't go too far either due to that very reason. All around messy game in the middle.

Dunkley got only single digit disposal till 3rd quarter and Neale wasn't going well under the tag. There went our engine room.

Last edited:
Back