Autopsy 2023 Rd 21 Last quarter blitz sees Blues in 5th spot

Who played well for Carlton in Round 21 vs the Saints?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon sos for pitto is one of the easier choices. Walsh and cerra come in for sure, probably for dow and curnow from your list (but curnow was sub).

Harry comes in for sure but there's no tall to bring him in for, so he probably replaces Fogarty. Fogarty hasn't done a heap possession wise but we haven't lost with him in the team. He has been a part of our amazing forward pressure. Will swapping for him McKay cost us that?

I don't like cripps, Kennedy, Hewett in the same team. Are we bringing Kennedy in for a quicker player? Gov for Marchbank an easy one but not sure they'll go that way, seeing as both were in last week.

Anyway, typed all this and realised it's probably the wrong thread anyway. Fitting players back in will hopefully be a good problem to have soon.
When you say sos is an easier choice I’m thinking who would voss prefer .. pitto or sos and I k ow voss loves pitto so thats why it’s hard.. Marchbank Dow and curnow and fog are easy to replace when it’s cerra walsh and Kennedy and I do agree I don’t like Hewitt and Kennedy .. what about boyd .. good problem to have i reckon .. right thread as someone asked the question I replied too

He absolutely was rusty, and while the overwhelming sentiment here is love for the team and the win, it's OK to recognise where the improvement can and should come from. He was reminiscent of Lewis Young. Made decent ground, but held the ball far to long on a number of occasions when speed of thought and action was required. Might just be a readjustment period, but if it's not then it's a worry, so we wait and see.

In some ways though, this is the risky scenario for us as a club - he was looking like an easy delisting, but could now string together a month or more of footy. That maaaay be a good thing. It helps having coverage for Gov, for sure. It's a handy head start if he can carry it into a full season next year. But I worry a bit that he'll get through the next month and a half, get a new contract (1yr), and then break down in preseason once again.

Ditto Cunners to an extent, though I think he's slotted back in more smoothly than Marchy.

Don't want to take the shine off the game. I'm still absolutely buzzing. But we can (respectfully and honestly) critique a win too, can't we?
Of course we can, but the context needs to be 1) did his opponent influence the game 2) will he get better having played little football.

For me the answers are no and yes.

Quite frankly I'm not the slightest bit concerned as to whether he gets another contract for next season. That's a question for the end of the season and for people who get paid a lot more than me.

It's really important that we get Marchy match fit. Things have opened up in an unbelievable manner and we have a huge opportunity in front of us.

He might be overtaken if Mitch gets back. But he might blossom and be the player that many of us think that he can be.

Yes but we only have 4 on the bench.

Once Walsh & Cerra back over the next 2 weeks - what do we do with Dow?

Like there won’t be other injuries….and if by some miracle of footy gods not, then he’s sub every single day of the week.

This is where we missed a trick throughout the year, and we’d bloody better do it next year….all the mids should be rotating through the subs vest throughout the year in the name of keeping them fresh.

Probably too out of the box for our phys edders though…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He's really grown with us. There was a period earlier in the season where, to me, he started to feel quite Newnes-esque. Decent long kick, but not a great kick, not a lot of composure, decent size without being an elite athlete. fairly limited but a worker.

But since our winning streek he's really, really grown. One of the role players who's played his role at its maximum. His kicking has improved and his composure in attack and defence has grown a lot. He's got to be the best intercept defending wingman, doesn't he? His overhead marking is elite for his size and position.

He's another one that's improved out of sight with the restructuring of the gameplan and systems in place. Our boys seem to know exactly what to do and when.....all of a sudden.

Especially meritorious win given Carlton were missing 6 or 7 of our best 22, and the Saints lineup had TWO OF THEIR ALL-TIME BEST PLAYERS!

st-kildas-fan-voted-team-of-all-time-v0-yrg15brjilfb1.jpg

Seriously, some very good players in that line-up, but more than a couple of B/C graders. And five key forwards!

Like there won’t be other injuries….and if by some miracle of footy gods not, then he’s sub every single day of the week.

This is where we missed a trick throughout the year, and we’d bloody better do it next year….all the mids should be rotating through the subs vest throughout the year in the name of keeping them fresh.

Probably too out of the box for our phys edders though…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah they haven’t worked the sub out tactically yet.

Rotating all through the sub would be a double edged sword - interesting idea though.

Of course we can, but the context needs to be 1) did his opponent influence the game 2) will he get better having played little football.

For me the answers are no and yes.

Quite frankly I'm not the slightest bit concerned as to whether he gets another contract for next season. That's a question for the end of the season and for people who get paid a lot more than me.

It's really important that we get Marchy match fit. Things have opened up in an unbelievable manner and we have a huge opportunity in front of us.

He might be overtaken if Mitch gets back. But he might blossom and be the player that many of us think that he can be.

Would have to rewatch with a view to who he was playing on in any given situation to make the call on 1. I will say that I think he did some solid off-the-ball body work which no doubt helped Weiters make best position to intercept on a couple of occasions. Smart footballers are good footballers.

My train of thought on him though is that, in the same way our backline started looking much better when we replaced Young's intercept king but deer-in-headlights game with the more naturally/instinctively attacking combo of Weiters, Kemp and Gov - Marchy will need to pick up the pace of play ASAP if we're to persist. Defending is only half the job of the modern defender.

Going to be very interesting seeing how list management goes this off-season, but that's a conversation for another thread I guess.

Especially meritorious win given Carlton were missing 6 or 7 of our best 22, and the Saints lineup had TWO OF THEIR ALL-TIME BEST PLAYERS!

st-kildas-fan-voted-team-of-all-time-v0-yrg15brjilfb1.jpg

Seriously, some very good players in that line-up, but more than a couple of B/C graders. And five key forwards!
LOL - Their greatest team of all time & there's only 1 flag between all of them...wow what an absolutely irrelevant club I do feel sorry for a couple of those guys namely Harvey & Hayes but gee whizz....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the game day thread I alluded to a “rope-a-dope” TDK was a huge part of this. Don’t discount the role Pittonet played in this. TDK was largely held back from rucking early in the game fairly clearly to play a role as Marshall started to feel the pinch. Pitto is clearly labouring somewhat and is playing a big part with the qualities he brings to the table. Looking forward to the ruck combo in 2024. It is a bit of a juggling act as both warrant 70% on ball time. Feeling TDK will go past Pitto creating a different dynamic with an alternate chop out down the track, but for now they are a good potentially great ruck team. (I also have no problem with JSOS used as ruck chop out strategically for structural benefit)

Voss and co. did operate and deploy troops strategically through the game. It is a taking game we are playing, but if we rotate personnel and roles, it can, and will work.
Probably employ same tacti. Against gawn with an extra mod as sub and TDK fresh to run with him in the last while bringing in fresh contested clearance legs

What certainly makes the win all the more sweeter is the Saints weren't a bit off or whatever excuses people like to use for losing teams, they were indeed red hot in the contest.

They were actually very good, for most of the game, at defending/blocking our overlap handball game. No doubt combined with some old school Ross Lyon footy.

Still, we persisted, and ran all over them when it counted. Good old bit of rope a dope, absorbed everything they had, didn't over extend ourselves, then put the foot down.

Beautiful stuff.

Also had a bit of a lovely realisation/moment to myself last night. Was thinking of a couple of TDK's awesome Tractor-like efforts, then thought to myself... "I hope he isn't just putting in efforts like that to boost his contract and/or suitor options..."

Then it's like wait... HE'S ALREADY SIGNED WITH US!!

When you say sos is an easier choice I’m thinking who would voss prefer .. pitto or sos and I k ow voss loves pitto so thats why it’s hard.. Marchbank Dow and curnow and fog are easy to replace when it’s cerra walsh and Kennedy and I do agree I don’t like Hewitt and Kennedy .. what about boyd .. good problem to have i reckon .. right thread as someone asked the question I replied too
Marshall flogged Pittonet in the first half. Pittonet was good in Q4. I would select JSOS over Pittonet at this stage for most games, with Melbourne the exception

Back