Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 24 - Lions v Saints Sat Aug 26th 4:35pm EST (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Saints by a goal or less

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • Saints by 7 - 20

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • Saints by a lot

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Would rest Marshall if we were throwing it.

Ross genuinely believes we can win this (minus King) reading his presser.

Hayes is no spud and has the ability to turn games.
Just seems very odd to rest him this week when he'll get 2 weeks off before his next game.
Personally I don't think the Saints can win without him, but what do I know.
I don't much about Hayes, but I know he's no King.

Surely Saints resting King is taking the piss? They're in no position to be resting their best players.
Could come back to bite them if they end up bundled out of an EF in Sydney.
They’re managing his shoulder. No one thought he’d even be back - don’t need people targeting it before the finals.
Big Jack Hayes can kick goals too.

Just seems very odd to rest him this week when he'll get 2 weeks off before his next game.
With his shoulder currently being held together by tape, it's just not worth the risk putting him out there if we dont have too.

As good as a home final would be, I'd much rather King be available to play in an away final because we will need him out there if we want to win it.

Surely Saints resting King is taking the piss? They're in no position to be resting their best players.
Could come back to bite them if they end up bundled out of an EF in Sydney.

Nah, King is over-rated.

If we were resting Cooper Sharman then I would be worried. Best big man to come out of St Kilda since Barry Brooks.

Nah, King is over-rated.

If we were resting Cooper Sharman then I would be worried. Best big man to come out of St Kilda since Barry Brooks.
I hope your talking about Max King because Ben King is God of football and besmirching his name will not stand.

Was wearing the yellow vest at training. My guess is he's being managed because he's sore and they don't want to risk him before finals.

Hayes is no spud and has the ability to turn games.
I know nothing about Hayes, so happy to yield to your knowledge, but what exactly is this based on?
I looked at his stats and he's 27yo and played 5 career games for 6 goals, with none this year. One of those games he kicked 3 goals (his first game), but it was a loss. So he's kicked 3 goals in 4 games in the others, with none being more than 1 goal.
Also appears to have kicked 8 goals from 4 games at VFL level this year. So he's only played 4 games at any level this year? Has he been injured?

I know nothing about Hayes, so happy to yield to your knowledge, but what exactly is this based on?
I looked at his stats and he's 27yo and played 5 career games for 6 goals, with none this year. One of those games he kicked 3 goals (his first game), but it was a loss. So he's kicked 3 goals in 4 games in the others, with none being more than 1 goal.
Also appears to have kicked 8 goals from 4 games at VFL level this year. So he's only played 4 games at any level this year? Has he been injured?

Yes ACL followed by a broken leg he's not had a good run.

Only just came back and some of those VFL games have been on managed minutes and interrupted by injury.

The jury is out on him but in the few games he's played he has shown something.

It's not just about how many goals Hayes can kick up forward, he can also play in the ruck and allow Marshall to play up forward and kick goals.

I don't think King being replaced by Hayes hurts our chances of winning this game as much as people might think it does.

Yes ACL followed by a broken leg he's not had a good run.

Only just came back and some of those VFL games have been on managed minutes and interrupted by injury.

The jury is out on him but in the few games he's played he has shown something.
Fair enough. Was he not in any system prior to that? I can't find any stats for him outside of AFL from last year, or VFL from this year.
That's a lot of confidence in his ability for such a small amount of exposed form.
Hopefully it's a good game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough. Was he not in any system prior to that? I can't find any stats for him outside of AFL from last year, or VFL from this year.
That's a lot of confidence in his ability for such a small amount of exposed form.
Jacks VFL form this year.
1692931183901.png

We signed him as a mature age recruit.

He played the first rounds of 2022 before multiple long term injuries.

He showed a lot in those games, but he's basically an older version of Mitch Owens in terms of our gameplan.

No, he was a mature-age recruit we picked up last offseason from the SANFL on the back of a BOG performance in the Grand Final and an incredible run of form leading up to that.

The knock on him would have been his height and lack of athleticism but on the other side of the coin, he's a natural footballer, a great mark, great kick, can find the ball, very competitive, etc.

Anyway, he was nearly the match-winner for us on debut last year, and off the back of his handful of games before his knee, we offered him a 2-year contract.

Hopefully he goes well and rewards the faith.

No, he was a mature-age recruit we picked up last offseason from the SANFL on the back of a BOG performance in the Grand Final and an incredible run of form leading up to that.

The knock on him would have been his height and lack of athleticism but on the other side of the coin, he's a natural footballer, a great mark, great kick, can find the ball, very competitive, etc.

Anyway, he was nearly the match-winner for us on debut last year, and off the back of his handful of games before his knee, we offered him a 2-year contract.

Hopefully he goes well and rewards the faith.
Ah, SANFL, cheers. Thought it was odd that I couldn't find any stats outside of 2022/2023.
Hopefully he can get a run at it. I've been frustrated for years with players showing a heap of promise and never getting a good run due to injury.
Don't think I'll get a chance to see this game, but would've liked to.

Have a read of these two articles:

I'm off to a BBQ then I'll be at this game. Wave if you see me! I'll be the one in full Carlton gear.
Were you just at the wooloongabba hotel? It not then there is already 2 too many Carlton fans here😅😅

Back