Preview 2023 Semi Final - Carlton vs Melbourne Friday 15th September 7.50PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Matthew Kennedy
OUT: Jack Martin (suspension), Harry McKay (concussion)

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Alex CincottaMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsMatthew Cottrell
Half-forwards:Sam DochertyTom De KoningMatthew Owies
Forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetAdam CerraSam Walsh
Interchange:David CuninghamGeorge HewettMatthew Kennedy
Caleb Marchbank
Emergencies:Paddy DowSam DurdinZac Fisher
Ollie Hollands

You reckon? Watch it again…he actually makes first contact with the shoulder and his hand recoils into blakeys face…so it’s definitely careless and there’s a good chance they could argue low impact as he made contact with the shoulder first before the face
Would happy to be wrong obviously but ultimately it was a swinging arm that made contract with the head. That’s a week every time imo.

Pittonet was huge last night. Continually wrested momentum back in the centre square contest.

I rate the chances of us going up against big Max with only one ruck as slightly less than 0%.
Agree, in 3rd, Hickey got on top of TDK, & they had several important centre clearances, resulting in their 3 goal burst. When Pitto took over his heavy tap work negated Hickey's dominance & wrested back momentum for a return burst by us. I'm afraid if TDK would need help to overcome Gawn's expected dominance.

I love Marchie, but can someone do a please explain on his role again?
Allows Jacob wetering to stay back and be patrolling the defensive last line when under severe pressure because marchi plays the tall intercept 30 to 50 metres in front and I thought he was terrific and we need this big body and reading of the play..... McGovern was the least impressive of the Defenders
Jacob talked up Marchbank in an interview straight after the game on the Channel 7 post show saying how important he was and he's got exceptional footy IQ
marchi is getting better each week with games under his belt after a 2-year Layoff

Gunna be interesting what we do

Thoughts after being at the game last night:
We missed fishers creativity and ball use. Our ball movement was shocking at times.
Motlop was awful when he came on. We will tell ourselves he’d be better as a full game player..but
Yep, prefer not to play a man down with Motlop out there for next week.
Don’t trust Fisher either when it’s physical and the heat’s on. Seems to be ousted from the forward brigade too.

Melbourne’s tall forwards aren’t gonna be the biggest issue, doubt we’ll need four tall defenders against them so if Silvagni doesn’t come up McGovern could be an option forward.

They have an absolutely brutal on ball division with Petracca, Oliver and Viney so I’d suggest getting one of Dow or Kennedy to the sub instead of a small forward would be a good idea.

The other area they’re scary in is their running brigade. Langdon, Hunter, Rivers, Salem etc. Would like to find a way to get Hollands back in the team for his defensive efforts and endurance.

Moltop for Martin
Fisher / Boyd for Marchbank (stiff but Melbourne not nearly as tall as Sydney)
Kennedy for McKay

I think we missed a bit of drive out of the backline last night. This will be even more important against the Dees as Lever and May will pick off the majority of balls down the line (especially now without Harry). Boyd and Fisher are superb, creative kicks that can cut the angles and open up the ground. Play one of them and give them a licence to attack with ball in hand.

That’s not enough. Need to be scoring, knocking the ball down to our smalls, taking grabs on the wing.

Instead, he’s missing from 4 meters and then again from 15 metres out. Knocked the absolute wind out of our sails on that second missed goal. He’s out of form and a massive liability at the moment.

He’s out of goalkicking form, yes…the rest of his game is exactly what we need

Charlie took 4-5 marks up on the wing in the last quarter and a half and not a lot forward of that to kick to. We need H taking those marks which he does, and pumping forward to Curnow or TDK

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Potential Semi-Final Team.

B: Cincotta, Weitering, Newman
HB: McGovern, Kemp, Saad
C: Acres, Cripps, Docherty
HF: Fogarty, Curnow, Martin
F: Kennedy, De Koning, Owies
R: Pittonet, Cerra, Hewett
IC: Marchbank, Cottrell, Walsh, Cuningham
Sub: Hollands
Emerg: Fisher, Dow, Cowan

Out: McKay
In: Kennedy
Sub: Mots replaced by Hollands.

The biggest concerns I have are:
The fitness of Acres (Shoulder). Dow becomes sub if unavailable.
The match fitness of Kennedy (Hasn't played for a while, but has more strings to his bow than Dow).
Apart from McKay, and perhaps Williams, this side is about as good as we can field.

I suspect Martin will end up with a fine rather than being suspended. SOS still has a dodgy knee as well as missing a power of footy, so I don't see him being selected.

Have really liked the work of our bottom 6-8 players through the back end of this year. Kemp, Cincotta, Fogarty, Owies, Cottrell, Dow, Fisher, etc have all made a difference with their team ethos and ability to play a designated role. It's made a massive difference.

Everything they do from now on is a bonus I reckon. Enjoy everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early guess is Martin will miss a week as careless, high, medium grading.
I'm sure we will get our lawyers involved but planning for him missing.

Losing both Harry and Martin is going to hurt.
Thought we lost our way a bit going forward once H went down last night. Yes, the goal kicking is horrific but he provides so much value to the way we set up and everything else he is doing is good.

Hopefully Silvagni is good to go. Motlop in, Dow to sub.

IN - JSOS (if fit), Motlop
OUT - McKay, Martin

With only Charlie and no Jack Martin we need goals from our mids and can not afford to just be dumping it forward. TDK has looked better however don’t trust him as a forward yet, hopefully JSOS comes in firing but he is not a big goal scorer. Charlie is far too fit and agile for May so as long as we can kick it to his advantage I can see him having a big game, won’t be enough if it’s just him though.. need a few from Motts,Owies & Fog.
Pitto needs to mark.

You need talls in the side but they’ve got to be able to mark. Very important.

I’m not sure we’ve got alternatives and I understand our mids do better with pitto in side.
Pitto was good in the ruck but non existent around the ground. If he clunks one it’s a bonus.

It’ll be exciting to watch TDK progress - still so young, isn’t assured enough yet but growing in big moments - he’ll be GAWN like in a couple of years.

Looks like McKay and Martin out - plenty of options to bring in.

Last edited:
OUT: McKay, Martin
IN: Motlop, JSOS

Sub: Dow.

Hollands the only other one I think is a genuine chance. Going to be a very warm night, perfect conditions, the run might be handy.

Kennedy plays tall but I think Lever or Hibberd would just zone off him all day. JSOS will draw attention.

Considered Durdin but I've never liked how our forward line looks with all 3 smalls playing.

Boyd stiff but won't get a look.

Fisher no chance whatsoever.

OUT: Pittonet
Pop Tv Laughing GIF by Schitt's Creek

I would be happy with Kennedy out of the square, also gives us a mid rotation
How do we justify bringing Kennedy after not playing for two months after being overlooked the last two games.

Cannot estimate how important some geninue outside run is in latter part of games, believe we definitely not Hollands and Dow as sub to provide that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back