Preview 2023 Semi Final - Carlton vs Melbourne Friday 15th September 7.50PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Matthew Kennedy
OUT: Jack Martin (suspension), Harry McKay (concussion)

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Alex CincottaMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsMatthew Cottrell
Half-forwards:Sam DochertyTom De KoningMatthew Owies
Forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetAdam CerraSam Walsh
Interchange:David CuninghamGeorge HewettMatthew Kennedy
Caleb Marchbank
Emergencies:Paddy DowSam DurdinZac Fisher
Ollie Hollands

Think this week's selection will be the most intriguing of the year, especially if both Martin and Harry miss

I can already see a number of viable options..

• Charlie, TDK + smalls
  • When TDK is rucking, Charlie + smalls
  • Adding another marking option, Gov, Kemp, Kennedy
Think we might go with tge last option

Structurally, Harry is a massive loss. JSOS, if fit enough would be a good replacement. They will not play Kennedy in this role, be very

surprised if they do. If JSOS is not fit enough, I would be playing McGov up forward. Out of all our tall back's, he seems the logical

choice. Frustrating as it is, Jack Martin will more than likely get a week imo. Thought Motts lacked urgency last night. Not sure who

else could take Martins spot. Honey, maybe. Nah, just joking.

Love to see Hollands come in and play a full game, thought we looked bereft of run last night in the second half. But this will probably

not happen unless Blacres is too sore. Dow needs to be sub.

Firstly, not a real fan of the type of ruckman Pitto is compared to those that can be a threat forward

If truly fit, I could understand Jsos coming in and possibly partner TDK against Gawn and say McDonald

But, when fit Pitto has always been selected due to how he assists our contested clearance game

We saw the plan with Pitto and TDK last time against the Demons/Gawn, watch a replay, it was extremely smart coaching/implementation

So, I'd go as far as saying that there would be no chance Pitto is dropped against the Demons and or the rest of the year if we progress
I don't even need him to be a forward threat (though that would be handy). Just to be a presence around the field. 0 marks last night. The number of times we kicked to try and relieve pressure out of defence and Pitto gives nothing, more often than not it was a Sydney mark and pressure back on. TDK far better in that regard. McLean outstanding.

Still, agree, we need him at the ruck contests, and for that reason he stays.

Call me crazy, but do we consider:

- Silvagni (if fit) and Motlop straight swaps for Martin and McKay with Someone like a Kennedy as a sub. TDK plays a little more up forward and JSOS rotates with Pitto.

or

- Push Cripps up forward. Bring in Dow for the middle. Motlop comes in anyway. And have either JSOS or someone like Hollands as the sub. Cripps wasn't exactly fantastic in the middle last night. Still looked very sore.

Option A, can see that happening easily.
SOS/Kennedy cannot both play 100% of the game one of them would need to be sub
It’s a risk if you lose a soldier early but if you don’t it’s not a bad option to do the swaperoo

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We are in the midst of the greatest in season turnaround in sporting history! If we get the job done it’ll be the furthest a team has gone after losing 6 in a row in season and anything can happen in a prelim thereafter. So pumped to see what happens. We’ll be the underdogs once again against this just as powerful Melbourne outfit. They lack forward nous and that could be our opening to getting the job done. Match them in the contest and try to exploit their lack of forward weapons. We need to move the ball through them and not around them. I’d rather see us lose by 40 points trying to win the game than die a slow death trying to save it. GBs!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doubling down on my comments to say Acres is our most important player behind Charlie and Weitering.

Maybe Jack Martin’s partner can find him a new shoulder before Friday?

Reckon Kennedy coming in to play Jack Martin’s role could be a ‘Nick Duigan’ moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

View attachment 1797950

Martin definitely misses IMO.

Careless + Medium impact + High = 1 week

Blakey came off the ground so impact can’t be low.

Think we’ll appeal it in an attempt to downgrade it to low impact and lose.
Our appeal should be to get it thrown out
His arm comes across in an aggressive tackling motion
It's a high contact free. Move on

I wouldn’t be putting Gov forward, need to keep our defence intact plus I worry about him getting injured playing forward

Next to no chance they put Gov forward. I think if SOS doesn't get up, Kemp would be the one, he spent some time up forward in Q4 of the GWS game. Still doubt that happens too, so all eyes on SOS watch this week!

Martin out can be easily replaced by Kennedy and it adds midfield rotation. Motlop out for Dow to be sub is the most logical. JSOS for Harry allows us to drop pitto if we need too. Gives us midfield ruck forward defence cover. McGovern can go forward if we don’t need the extra defender. Very versatile side. I’d even be happy for hollands to come in for Cincotta while doc goes back.

Ideal ins: JSOS, Hollands, Kennedy Dow (sub)
Ideal outs: Harry, Cincotta, Martin and Motlop (sub)

Not certain we need to replace Harry with a tall. Melbourne are the hardest defence to outmark so a more mobile forward line is preferable.

Still need some marking targets outside of CC. Losing H and potentially JM as our marking options need to be replaced unless we’re to go mosquito fleet and grubbers in (like wet weather surge), though Rivers, Bowey, Hibberd are decent ground level defenders.

Still would like JSOS or Kennedy as pseudo KPF’s if just to take Lever out of the picture.
DC - JSOS - Fogarty
Owies - CC - C.Durds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back