List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hasn't Kemp been tried forward before in the VFL for a fair amount of time and it didn't work out? I'm not 100% on that but I'm sure I recall it was tried and wasn't overly effective.

I do wonder if we're just saying his name because his brother plays for us. On paper his strengths seem very desireable, but he hasn't been so good for the Suns, barely gets picked.

Having said that, his VFL grand final was elite.
be good to do a reverse lambert on a club.........

Hasn't Kemp been tried forward before in the VFL for a fair amount of time and it didn't work out? I'm not 100% on that but I'm sure I recall it was tried and wasn't overly effective.
our reserves team is mostly a cot case and has been for years...........no place to play strong, developing footy..........was he a forward as a junior? - I recall THAT goal being shown a lot............

our reserves team is mostly a cot case and has been for years...........no place to play strong, developing footy..........was he a forward as a junior? - I recall THAT goal being shown a lot............
Also remember his junior footy he played on ball in his last season too.

Not opposed to it just thought it had been tried without much success, but as you say maybe that's more the VFL team than Kemp himself.

which sort of leave jsos as

View attachment 1813164
For mine I see a little kemp in jsos where he can play multiple positions so why not see if he can play forward or pinch hit in the ruck .. come off the bench like jsos does .. over summer trial , who knows .. kemp could be that guy that performs better as a forward. If we never trial it we will never know

Also remember his junior footy he played on ball in his last season too.

Not opposed to it just thought it had been tried without much success, but as you say maybe that's more the VFL team than Kemp himself.
I'd add that Kemp himself has seemingly gained touch and confidence at senior level this year so is potentially better placed now to be trialed in other roles.

How do we get Nick Watson? Plays a bit like Papley up fwd and tipped to go top 10. He hasn't done so well when he's been trialled midfield and back and he's 170cm, 4cm shorter than Betts and 2cm taller than Caleb Daniel (worth noting Watson's marking is a strength).

Trying to get a ruck for the sake of it because we want an upgrade on Pitto does not make any sense and just trying to solve a problem for the sake of it and completely reactionary based of a shit game over the weekend.

We’re tight for list spots as is and the ruck position is not a difference maker as long as you don’t get toweled up in there (take a look at the last 4 grand finalists).

Pitto 4 years
TDK 2 years
JSOS 2 years
Mirkov 2(?) years
Young 3 years
Hudson O’Keefe 1(?) year

That is more than enough including depth. Irresponsible list management if we spend any more time or energies on the ruckmen.

Trying to get a ruck for the sake of it because we want an upgrade on Pitto does not make any sense and just trying to solve a problem for the sake of it and completely reactionary based of a s**t game over the weekend.

We’re tight for list spots as is and the ruck position is not a difference maker as long as you don’t get toweled up in there (take a look at the last 4 grand finalists).

Pitto 4 years
TDK 2 years
JSOS 2 years
Mirkov 2(?) years
Young 3 years
Hudson O’Keefe 1(?) year

That is more than enough including depth. Irresponsible list management if we spend any more time or energies on the ruckmen.
:think:

tell me I'm a potato head for musing on the possibility of kemp training up forward over the summer..............tell me!!
Let’s wait for the trades and delistings to even think about Kempy’s off season. Are Youngy and Nigel going to remain on the list.

We now have a log jam positionally down back. Kemp has played as an athletic, undersized key for most of the season and has mostly “worked”. In a mid/late season article he was lauded by coaches and was given the descriptor “untapped”.

Mc Govern’s best commands a spot. There was a time I would have argued that, but he has proven it if late. Marchbank is next level positionally and can, like Kemp play taller. Weitering is often next door to impassable, but can be found out by athletic forwards in a well structured offence. Weiters missed Kemp on Saturday night.

I am far from certain all four can exist in one backline for mine. All are undoubtedly “best 22” but as a unit are questionable as the game now proliferates with high pressure, pacy forward groups with multiple small/medium pressure merchants. Weiters is vulnerable against the better movers. Kemp was a superb foil for him, but can be guilty of positional “lapses”. He is lambasted by some on here, but I often wonder about his instruction from the coaches. He does not play as a totally accountable defender. Is it his “weakness” or is it his allocated role? I still think we need a genuine young KPD in the draft with sufficient pace to guard against the separation Weiters periodically gives up. This would further question the dynamic.

Kempy’s glimpses forward have often shown positional questions not dissimilar to those in defence. As his confidence has grown through the season, I have wondered if his forward craft may also be improved. I tend to think he may be better served as a ball follower, impacting play with his burst and spatial awareness.

If he is schooled up the ground, I would love to see it happen in all portions of the ground. He is too good not to be in our ‘22, but his role is somewhat unclear. I think I see him more as a mid/forward impact type, but that is yet to be proven.
Please explore his and our options in the off/pre season Vossy.

Let’s wait for the trades and delistings to even think about Kempy’s off season. Are Youngy and Nigel going to remain on the list.

We now have a log jam positionally down back. Kemp has played as an athletic, undersized key for most of the season and has mostly “worked”. In a mid/late season article he was lauded by coaches and was given the descriptor “untapped”.

Mc Govern’s best commands a spot. There was a time I would have argued that, but he has proven it if late. Marchbank is next level positionally and can, like Kemp play taller. Weitering is often next door to impassable, but can be found out by athletic forwards in a well structured offence. Weiters missed Kemp on Saturday night.

I am far from certain all four can exist in one backline for mine. All are undoubtedly “best 22” but as a unit are questionable as the game now proliferates with high pressure, pacy forward groups with multiple small/medium pressure merchants. Weiters is vulnerable against the better movers. Kemp was a superb foil for him, but can be guilty of positional “lapses”. He is lambasted by some on here, but I often wonder about his instruction from the coaches. He does not play as a totally accountable defender. Is it his “weakness” or is it his allocated role? I still think we need a genuine young KPD in the draft with sufficient pace to guard against the separation Weiters periodically gives up. This would further question the dynamic.

Kempy’s glimpses forward have often shown positional questions not dissimilar to those in defence. As his confidence has grown through the season, I have wondered if his forward craft may also be improved. I tend to think he may be better served as a ball follower, impacting play with his burst and spatial awareness.

If he is schooled up the ground, I would love to see it happen in all portions of the ground. He is too good not to be in our ‘22, but his role is somewhat unclear. I think I see him more as a mid/forward impact type, but that is yet to be proven.
Please explore his and our options in the off/pre season Vossy.
I just said that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Questions for those who know more than me (you'll be the default and not the exception) :)

1. Could Boyd become our 'burst from contest' midfielder to bolster leg speed
2. I'm not convinced about Durdin's small fwd IQ. Could he also be reprogrammed as quick mid?
3. Does anyone see Kemp becoming a big bodied midfielder in the future?

Mid year we we’re definitely into Gresham & Jordan. I was told Gresham was virtually a done deal.

I don’t know what’s happened since

If we got Hollands Harmes Gresham and kept our first rounder I’d be very happy
We cooled on Gresham.
He had interest in us, and a figure around 500k seemed to be the going rate.
But SOS was never going to let him leave for a band 3 compo pick and we were never going to enter into a bidding war for a player like that.

Saints and Bombers are now working together to do some very clever/edgy deals that would see the saints take Shiel and his full salary for a semi high pick, but the bombers will the pay Gresham extreme overs to ensure the saints get band 1 compo… clever… dodgy… somewhere in the middle. These are the deals the SOS and Adrian like to do.

tell me I'm a potato head for musing on the possibility of kemp training up forward over the summer..............tell me!!

With his agility, speed and strength could easily see him taking that role going forward. If his goal kicking and instincts are strong enough would be a nightmare for opposition defenses who already struggle with a healthy Charlie due to his combination of size strength and speed.

Would be not too dissimilar to adding Pearce to Sticks and Spalding.

Questions for those who know more than me (you'll be the default and not the exception) :)

2. I'm not convinced about Durdin's small fwd IQ. Could he also be reprogrammed as quick mid?

1. See him consistently playing the role he did against Brisbane. Lots of footy and lots of metres gained. If The team didn't run out of legs. The role that he played would have been game breaking. That is his perfect role

2. Think Durds will be fine. Needs a big summer, needs to rebuild his confidence, needs to stay on the park and get a consistent run at it next season.

3. I don't see Kemp as a big bodied midfielder on a permanent basis, primarily due to the way of the list has been designed. I can see him getting a run in the midfield from time to time but it won't be a permanent role. Not with Cripps, Hewett, Kennedy, et al already on the list.

Last edited:
We cooled on Gresham.
But SOS was never going to let him leave for a band 3 compo pick and we were never going to enter into a bidding war for a player like that.

Saints and Bombers are now working together to do some very clever/edgy deals that would see the saints take Shiel and his full salary for a semi high pick, but the bombers will the pay Gresham extreme overs to ensure the saints get band 1 compo… clever… dodgy… somewhere in the middle. These are the deals the SOS and Adrian like to do.
Frankly, I don't see this as clever or edgy at all. Two list cloggers on bad salaries doesn't help either side improve.

We cooled on Gresham.

St Kilda with both Dow and Shiel in the midfield ... melting moments ahead.

We cooled on Gresham.

Band 1 is like ~$800k, good luck to Gresham if he can get it but the outrage would almost bring change to the system

I would have said you're a potato head no matter what you're doing

1. Boyd has played as a small forward turned small defender. He could potentially be deployed as a midfielder, but i think his best role is to settle in the backline and give us another option for defensive run. As we saw against the Lions, having multiple quick, good ball using defenders makes a huge difference, especially if Saad has to play full lockdown mode.

2. Take a look at what Durdin was doing playing seniors in the SANFL as an 17/18 year old. He 100% has the forward craft and ability. Just needs to string games together. He's even had games for us as a young small forward where he's shown class and goal craft.

3. I think one of the biggest things we need to work on this offseason is finding a position that Cripps can go to break a tag. I don't mind the idea of Kemp spending sometime in the Midfield and Forward line in a rotation with Cripps. Our greatest strength is when Crippa is dominating the midfield, but our greatest weakness is when Crippa is a bit down, and his opponent is often BOG.
The other option which is probably less likely, is bursts from Charlie. We know he has the ability to do it, but can Cripps learn to drift forward more and actually provide rather than get in the way. This will be a big learning experience for him in the offseason. For so long he's carried the mantle of having to be the all or nothing midfielder, but now for us to improve I think he needs to add a more team orientated element to his game.

Frankly, I don't see this as clever or edgy at all. Two list cloggers on bad salaries doesn't help either side improve.
Bringing a top 10 pick into the trade could help both sides.
I guess if Gresham gets overpaid by ~$250k, then the two sides get to work out a way to break pick ~10 up. all it’s really costing is an extra ~$250k PA from what they would otherwise be paying anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back