2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 38 Bangladesh v Sri Lanka 6/11 1900hrs @ Arun Jaitley Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we need to move on from spirit of the game. It's a fierce competition now and we have rules in place. I'm not saying it was intentional but he wasn't ready in time and should therefore be out. Having a spirit of the game feel used on certain dismissals can only lead to morality arguments on who or what is deemed acceptable.
I'm of the belief that we have rules and we should be following them. Why have these rules then if it's going to be "shameful" to enforce them

They’ve done nothing within any skill of the game and the batsman has done nothing wrong. Pretty sure it doesn’t take a genius to work out he shouldn’t be out

Of course you do but if you go to put the helmet on and the strap comes loose what are they to infer: that he deliberately pre-planned to break it to waste 90 seconds and somehow hand his team an unseen advantage as a consequence? It’s like appealing for obsrtructing the field because a player tripped over his own feet and feel on the keeper

I remember in the Sydney 2008 test ishant sharma came out with two left handed gloves to slow the game down. Imagine if the aussies had appealed then lol

Who's arguing any skill.
Mathews failed to be ready in time. Doesn't take a genius to know the rules either

Helmet broke on the way out and I believe the rules are such that you cannot face fast bowling at international level without a helmet any more. Pretty poor from the Bangladesh team.

Fancy feeling ok to appeal that. I understand there are rules and we don’t want to turn them into moral decisions… but, how could any sports person feel at peace earning a win in that way. Sad indictment on modern professional sport and our obsession with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember in the Sydney 2008 test ishant sharma came out with two left handed gloves to slow the game down. Imagine if the aussies had appealed then lol
Seriously there was already monkeygate scandal in that match along with numerous dodgy umpire decisions.

It would have been an international incident.

India already threatened to go home over the Harbhajan/Symonds incident.

Ponting would never have been able to go India again.

And CA would be broke with India refusing to play them for the next 25 years

Anyone who is ok with that dismissal sucks

Why not? Here’s an idea you have 3 minutes so get off your lazy you know what and get out there and face up. It’s not hard. There’s already enough delays and batsmen take the Mickey out of these rules.

time to place a bet on Matthews getting revenge on Shakib, even if it's in the parking lot.

pld-happygilmore.gif

Like Sarfraz' revenge! To be fair though wasn't the most stupid way I've seen Hilditch get out.
Yes, that was what I had in mind. :)

If you watch the 15 wickets Hadlee took against us in Brisbane in 85/86, guess who gets out twice hooking? One guess only.........

They’ve done nothing within any skill of the game and the batsman has done nothing wrong. Pretty sure it doesn’t take a genius to work out he shouldn’t be out

He wouldn’t be if he wasn’t so slow and lazy getting out there. The fielding team has penalties for not bowing overs why should the batsmen delay things?

I haven't seen the incident, but here is what cricinfo said.

"So the broadcast just showed the full incident clearly. Essentially Mathews was ready to take strike when his strap broke. He called for a new helmet and while that wait ensued, Shakib appealed."

If that is the case (can someone confirm?), it seems like a pretty ordinary appeal to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back