2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 41 New Zealand v Sri Lanka 9/11 1900hrs @ M Chinnaswamy Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

By my calculations, if Pakistan got 300 and rolled England for 25 they would still fall short with a NRR of 0.714 (NZ is 0.743)

If they get 400, I've got England all out for 112 or lower to get Pakistan into the semi-final.

Or roll England for 50 and get the target in 2 overs.

If England bats first, once they get to about 90, Pakistan then requires six off every ball plus at least one no-ball or wide.

Fair play to NZ, they would've known a big win would've put a huge amount of NRR buffer to the next teams and they went out and did the job.

Despite probable defeat it would be nice to see an Angelo Matthews in a last cameo counter attacking innings before he goes back into international retirement
When did Angelo Mathews retire?

NRR is such a s**t way to decide a tie-break. Give me results between tied sides as the 1st tie-breaker any day. If Pakistan beat England, it will be two World Cups in a row that Pakistan have finished on the same points as NZ and beat them in their match-up in the group stage but finished 5th below NZ.

NRR is such a s**t way to decide a tie-break. Give me results between tied sides as the 1st tie-breaker any day. If Pakistan beat England, it will be two World Cups in a row that Pakistan have finished on the same points as NZ and beat them in their match-up in the group stage but finished 5th below NZ.
Meh, it's like percentage in AFL. If you're good enough you'll smash some teams.

What happens if 3 teams finish on equal points but A beat B who beat C who beat A?

Fair to say the semi final will be a case of India v World

The neutrals will be siding with New Zealand in this one.

Yes and no.

I would support NZ but equally I like to see tournament results be representative of the best teams within them and much as I don’t particularly like the Indian side they’ve been in a league of their own this World Cup and I would feel for them if they played one poor game and it cost them even making the final.

On the flip side in another reality NZ scrape home against Australia, the rain doesn’t impact the Pakistan game and they successfully defend 400 and they go into the semis with a much stronger claim at being able to beat India so fair do’s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happens if 3 teams finish on equal points but A beat B who beat C who beat A?
And in this case, does NRR in those games played between those 3 teams take precedence over overall NRR? Logic says it should (H2H Results -> H2H NRR -> Overall NRR), but NRR over a 2-game sample size can be pretty arbitrary.

I must admit, I've flip flopped over head to head results vs NRR for about two decades now and still no closer to knowing which one I'd prefer.

And in this case, does NRR in those games played between those 3 teams take precedence over overall NRR? Logic says it should (H2H Results -> H2H NRR -> Overall NRR), but NRR over a 2-game sample size can be pretty arbitrary.

I must admit, I've flip flopped over head to head results vs NRR for about two decades now and still no closer to knowing which one I'd prefer.
Head 2 Head meant that Aus proceeded to the final in 1999 so all for Head 2 Head 👍

Sri Lanka have been banned by the ICC, can't play internationals until ban is lifted apparently

Remove this Banner Ad

Back