2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 35 New Zealand v Pakistan 4/11 1530hrs @ M Chinnaswamy Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Pakistan win on DLS.

Robbed by the rain and also great batting from Fakhar and trash bowling from Sodhi.

All is not lost though we are still ahead of Pakistan and Afghanistan on NRR.

We just need to beat Sri Lanka, hope Pakistan lose to England or not flog them by too much and Afghanistan lose to SA and Australia

Remarkable result for the number crunchers like myself. Check out this screenshot from Cricinfo when the final rain delay came:

Screenshot_20231104_231826_ESPNCricinfo.jpg

So Pakistan were 21 ahead on DLS but their WinViz was only 13%? Go figure!

Surely the purpose of DLS is, or should be, to reward who was most likely to win the game at the time of the interruption?

I believe the problem stems from the fact that par score when the 2nd innings starts is always 0. This in no way accurately reflects the fact that 401 is a well-above-par score, and any rain rule should take this into account, by raising the 0 overs par score to more than 0. Perhaps in this case it should have been 30 or 50.

Doing so would have meant their par score at the first interruption would also have been higher - Pakistan may well have been behind par at that stage. Thus, they would have had less runs knocked off the target when the first 9 overs were lost.

It would then have been very interesting to see how close Pakistan got to par score at the 2nd interruption after scoring 40 in 3 overs.

I do think 13% sold Pakistan's chances considerably short, but I also don't think 21 runs was an accurate reflection of the margin in the game.

Great batting from PAK but agree that DLS result doesn't seem right.

Ah well, Pakistan now the second team to concede 400+ and still win the game!

Great batting from PAK but agree that DLS result doesn't seem right.

Ah well, Pakistan now the second team to concede 400+ and still win the game!

Half the overs bowled and Pakistan half of NZ score but 21 runs ahead.

I assume it's the reward for having wickets in hand but I would like to know if Pakistan were 3 down would they still be ahead on DLS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back