2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 27 Australia v New Zealand 28/10 1530hrs @ HPCA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Marsh was dreadful at 3 today.
Labs at least keeps momentum going mostly.
Smith gets demoted as not doing that well. If we start well he drops to 6 and Maxi comes up.

Exactly. 4 would be even worse for Marsh. Smith actually batted well today run a ball.

Head
Warner
Smith
Lab (not a fan but if we have to he’s at 4)
Inglis
Marsh
Maxwell
Cummins
Abbott (please)
Hazelwood
Zampa

Yes, someone like Stonis, Green will come out and plonk a quickfire 7 or 8 just like the rest of the middle order has been doing this whole comp before collapsing.

With this bowling line up and the worst fielding team in the WC, unless we have our openers making twin centuries, we are dead in the water.
Yep, I agree we have a glaring issue in the middle order and Stain Us or Green Behind the Ears are far from showing a solution…

Who says one day cricket is dead. T20 can't provide the tension like this.
I actually think ODI cricket has somewhat found it's pep again even if it has had to do so by being as batting oriented as T20. Small grounds and plenty of sixes help, but the games still have a modicum of balance.

At the end of the day people will always care about an ODI world cup more than the T20 version.

We arent winning a World Cup with Starc spraying the ball all over the shop. Its not good. He has no control. And hes slowing down. Dont rate him. He does my head in.

The Afghans and Bangers will likely play 5 spinners against us, so the game against The Squealers is a must win.

I actually think ODI cricket has somewhat found it's pep again even if it has had to do so by being as batting oriented as T20. Small grounds and plenty of sixes help, but the games still have a modicum of balance.

At the end of the day people will always care about an ODI world cup more than the T20 version.
I personally think we should scrap T20I altogether. Make that format exclusively for franchise cricket.

Then play more ODI and Test cricket.

What a load of *in' bullshit, we have a winning percentage of around 66% when Starc plays, and Cummins and Hazlewood aren't too far behind. They are three of the best bowlers in the world and Australia are always a chance when they play. Today wasn't great, but there were other circumstances for that including the pitch and quality of the opposition. Give credit to the Kiwi's and especially Ravindra who deserve praise for his innings instead of belittling his performance by lambasting the opponents.
The “three of the best bowlers in the world” today

Starc: 0/89 off 9
Cummins: 2/66 (good result considering)
Haze: 2/70 off 9 (better than Starc)

The part-time nobody for NZ

Phillips: 3/37

Just saying…

Yep, awesome competition… that doesn’t exclude some really poor individual performance. As Ponting just said “deplorable” middle order batting led by Marsh… closely followed by Starc”s bowling today, who was shown up by a NZ part-time spinner. Incredible really.
Sure there were flaws and those paid to address it will, and plenty will complain no matter the outcome.

I just don't choose to spend the early moments of a thrilling victory complaining about how dissatisfied with the performance. It doesn't make it enjoyable for me.

If you can't saviour wins against high quality opposition what's the point? We are far from the tournament favourites and after match 2 looked gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine Starc with the control of the ball Glen McGrah had with his pace. Starc will never ever be the bowler McGragh was.
Late Night Wow GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

We won, but our NRR dropped...I don't get how it works

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Our NRR was above 1 which means on average we scored 50 more runs than the opposition per game. We won by less than that tonight so that average drops. Also being a high scoring game (including giving away 383 runs) means it dominates the NRR calculation.

The “three of the best bowlers in the world” today

Starc: 0/89 off 9
Cummins: 2/66 (good result considering)
Haze: 2/70 off 9 (better than Starc)

The part-time nobody for NZ

Phillips: 3/37

Just saying…
One game in isolation is the best way to judge players.

Yep, I agree we have a glaring issue in the middle order and Stain Us or Green Behind the Ears are far from showing a solution…
Greenie has never been given an opportunity to bat in the middle order or very little at 4/5 always comes in at seven. We did try him as an opener and it worked a couple of times. Green bats at 4 for wa where he made his name but we never try it for some reason

Just annoys me it hasn’t been tried he can bat four and bowls 130 plus and one of the best set of hands in the game

No brainer for me

Imagine Starc with the control of the ball Glen McGrah had with his pace. Starc will never ever be the bowler McGragh was.
Two completely different bowlers.

The issue with Starc is that he goes for max pace early and then tries to find line and length. Better off dropping it down a few clicks early and concentrating on line and length then build pace from there IMO.

None of our fast bowlers have a brain though. Virtually every ball is chasing a wicket and going for runs rather than keep it tight, build pressure and draw false shots.

Marnus doesnt play that New Zealand batting innings, we dont win.

His fielding was enormous in the last few overs.
He ran in then backtracked and touch rope. Yes his other efforts were good but that was poor. Why be a few metres inside rope anyway, you are not saving a run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back