2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 27 Australia v New Zealand 28/10 1530hrs @ HPCA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Lost 2 quick wickets, NZ were bowling well and people here were expecting Marsh and Smith to hit every 3rd or 4th ball for 4 or 6.

That's not true at all. The knock on Marsh was the amount of dots, Stoinis has the same issue when he plays. Ponting was very frustrated about it but I guess what does he know...

Despite all the melts about how poor we are when the whips are cracking in the knock out stage we'll be deep into it.

Again.
Exactly. There was nothing pretty about some of our performances in 1999, 2003 and 2015 (2007 was pretty much perfect) but we got the job done when it counted and that is the key to tournament play.

Heck England lost 3 games in 2019. Sometimes in high pressure tournaments, you just have to bank the wins even if they are ugly. If you're there at the pointy end, you have a chance. Crazy things happen in finals every World Cup. Australia have shown over the decades we stand up in big moments and I would expect the same here. We have enough match winners in our side. We are as good as any team in the world.

Funny isn't it we are the first team in the history of ODI's to score 350 plus 3 times consecutively and we are all still bitching about the batting order....lol

got to love big footy :)
It's like we can't handle when, you know, another team performs well against us.

Fair play to Ravindra last night. That was as good an innings as you'll see.

Exactly. There was nothing pretty about some of our performances in 1999, 2003 and 2015 (2007 was pretty much perfect) but we got the job done when it counted and that is the key to tournament play.

Heck England lost 3 games in 2019. Sometimes in high pressure tournaments, you just have to bank the wins even if they are ugly. If you're there at the pointy end, you have a chance. Crazy things happen in finals every World Cup. Australia have shown over the decades we stand up in big moments and I would expect the same here. We have enough match winners in our side. We are as good as any team in the world.

I agree with this, and especially with Trav back the side starts to look very good (although I’m still not convinced about the middle-lower order, feels like Maxwell or bust at the moment).

However, it’s no coincidence that the last three world cups have been won by the home side. I think when there’s 4 teams of pretty even talent that home advantage will be the deciding factor in the end.

I agree with this, and especially with Trav back the side starts to look very good (although I’m still not convinced about the middle-lower order, feels like Maxwell or bust at the moment).

However, it’s no coincidence that the last three world cups have been won by the home side. I think when there’s 4 teams of pretty even talent that home advantage will be the deciding factor in the end.
True. I think India win as well. And agreed re the lower middle order. The decline of Stoinis hurts. Inglis has been okay but we are lacking a power hitter like Klassen at 5.

That's not true at all. The knock on Marsh was the amount of dots, Stoinis has the same issue when he plays. Ponting was very frustrated about it but I guess what does he know...
Marsh was terrible.
I think he prefers to open with pace on and can cut loose in the power play.

He needs to get better.

Still can't have Smith and Labs in the same side IMO.

Last edited:
Historically they've punched well above their weight to even be competitive, from a country of only 5 million. They come a lot closer to wins against us in cricket than we'll ever come to beating them in Rugby Union.

Ok? That’s why I said cricket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marsh was terrible.
I think he prefers to open with pace on and can cut lose in the power play.

He needs to get better.

I agree he prefers to start against pace. It was a tricky wicket to come in and hit the spinners from ball 1. Only set batsmen took down the spinners.

I think it's underrated here how hard it is to stride to the middle and go hard straight away. It's even harder if we get stuck early on which unfortunately happens to every batsmen from time to time.

Players like Maxwell make it look easier than it is. Last night Marsh would have been backing on hanging in there and lifting the strike rate as he went on, which he started to do. The way he hits, he could have gotten to 80 off 70 balls. Unfortunately he missed a straight one so his innings looks terrible.

In summary, it's always harder and more complex than it seems on big footy. If he had of thrown his wicket away early he would have been criticised for not giving himself time to get set. The learning for him is strike rotation if you get stuck.

I would love to get another crack against South Africa in the semi final.

Considering South Africa tortured history and mental baggage of ODI WC semi finals you reckon they wouldn't be a little nervous heading into that game.

And if we win the Toss Patty just Bat first don't worry about dew just Bat. And put scoreboard pressure on.

South Africa even admitted the other night they lack a clear plan when chasing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love to get another crack against South Africa in the semi final.

Considering South Africa tortured history and mental baggage of ODI WC semi finals you reckon they wouldn't be a little nervous heading into that game.

And if we win the Toss Patty just Bat first don't worry about dew just Bat. And put scoreboard pressure on.

South Africa even admitted the other night they lack a clear plan when chasing.
I think the weather has played a significant factor in the tournament especially the heat and humidity

Previously when we have played in India it's generally always been bat 2nd and chase due to the dew. But this has not been the case ...games that are day/night have seen it be stupidly hot/humid during daylight conditions and the fielding bowling teams have struggled...better at night when fielding and bowling.

Reckon this has stuffed up a few teams....england especially after winning the toss and choosing to bowl in hot/oppressive conditions

I mean there's like 5 countries on earth who take ODI's seriously and invest money into them... so yeah, we'll make the final 4...
England showing how easy it is.

I agree he prefers to start against pace. It was a tricky wicket to come in and hit the spinners from ball 1. Only set batsmen took down the spinners.

I think it's underrated here how hard it is to stride to the middle and go hard straight away. It's even harder if we get stuck early on which unfortunately happens to every batsmen from time to time.

Players like Maxwell make it look easier than it is. Last night Marsh would have been backing on hanging in there and lifting the strike rate as he went on, which he started to do. The way he hits, he could have gotten to 80 off 70 balls. Unfortunately he missed a straight one so his innings looks terrible.

In summary, it's always harder and more complex than it seems on big footy. If he had of thrown his wicket away early he would have been criticised for not giving himself time to get set. The learning for him is strike rotation if you get stuck.

Of course he does he is one of our best hitters against genuine pace ...he has always struggled at the start against spin with his strike rate..but he has improved

What people tend to forget is that he came in after 20 overs when the spin was on ..maybe they could of promoted maxi to three as maxi plays better against the slower bowlers IMO.

But you need Marsh in the top three....what happens if you lose an early wicket to boult or Henry ?? or to the quicks ...Marsh comes against the pace and harder new ball...and if they bring on a spinner it's a lot easy for him during the power play as the field is up. Marsh can continue that momentum at the start if we lose an early wicket thats why he is there.

Yes he struggled last night but it's how you use your assets which is the key. What was pretty obvious was that he was backing himself to wait for the quicker bowlers and hit out as he did against the Pakistan when he got his hundred.

We have had some really great starts by the openers ..Warner in great form now Head and Marsh has provided a very good platform but at some stage we are going to be one for not much against the quicks

The biggest issue I have is smith and marnus ..both in the middle order ..both are very good players but they don't have that power game to up the ante when needed IMO

Of course he does he is one of our best hitters against genuine pace ...he has always struggled at the start against spin with his strike rate..but he has improved

What people tend to forget is that he came in after 20 overs when the spin was on ..maybe they could of promoted maxi to three as maxi plays better against the slower bowlers IMO.

But you need Marsh in the top three....what happens if you lose an early wicket to boult or Henry ?? or to the quicks ...Marsh comes against the pace and harder new ball...and if they bring on a spinner it's a lot easy for him during the power play as the field is up. Marsh can continue that momentum at the start if we lose an early wicket thats why he is there.

Yes he struggled last night but it's how you use your assets which is the key. What was pretty obvious was that he was backing himself to wait for the quicker bowlers and hit out as he did against the Pakistan when he got his hundred.

We have had some really great starts by the openers ..Warner in great form now Head and Marsh has provided a very good platform but at some stage we are going to be one for not much against the quicks

The biggest issue I have is smith and marnus ..both in the middle order ..both are very good players but they don't have that power game to up the ante when needed IMO
Lab's strike rate of 77 is just not good enough.

Having said that, he's scored more runs than Smith and is a jet in the field.
Smith is only averaging 26 and that includes a 76 against the Netherlands.

I'd replace Smith with Stoinis or Green and bat Labs at 4.

Smith will never get dropped though.

At the end of the day we are very likely to be around in a short knockout stage the 11 has multiple match winners on that on it's day can beat anyone. India obviously deservedly favourites but we have the talent to cause an upset in a one off game. Couldn't have asked for much more coming in to the tournament.

I was surprised that Neser didn't make the squad - his batting alone would have been an asset, but so would his bowling.

Not a death bowler either what’s the point. It’s not the runs we are lacking. Ellis is a massive loss/blunder. Not having a second spinner is the worst though don’t care that Maxwell has bowled well all that shows is a Kuhermann etc should have been picked

Go easy on Plugger...it's been a tough 12 hours being a Kiwi....as an Aussie trapped in NZ, been the best 12 hours of my life.

If Boult goes for 70 odd off 10 overs, Southee will go for more every day of the week....as we know Boult is a better white ball bowler than Southee. As for Kane, yep agree a great player....but not so against Aust for some reason. Starc still living off the fumes of that opening over v Baz back in 2015....time for Mitch to have a breather.. ..
I Dont Think So No Way GIF

Marsh was terrible.
I think he prefers to open with pace on and can cut loose in the power play.

He needs to get better.

Yeah the Lab selection made no sense at all. I'd prefer Smith. Think they just need to better moving the lineup on the go, especially Marsh and Big Show given one is a lot better with pace on and one is really good playing spin and the other just can't play it. Instead they send the guy who can't play spin it at 3 when it is obvious there's going to be a lot of it bowled in those middle overs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back