2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 38 Bangladesh v Sri Lanka 6/11 1900hrs @ Arun Jaitley Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I recall being timed out myself now that I think about it.

Back in Under 11's or 12's. Me and a mate went to go kick a football about 3 fields across. We were only 1 or 2 down when we left and the team had a complete collapse and lost the rest of our wickets in about 25 minutes.

They don't even need to wait till drinks, I'm fine with them coming out at fall of wicket.

Yep no issue with that otherwise drinks it’s every hour. If it’s boiling hot make drinks every 30 mins. Fans pay for 90 overs not 82-85. If Shield sides can bowl 100, these blokes can bowl 90.

Does not matter they know the rules the 12th man should have sprinted on, you have 3 mins, it’s only 90 seconds in t20 would you prefer the latter

No, you have two minutes.
You expect a batsman to walk roughly 100m - one minute - have a quick conference with his batting partner, take guard, get his head around the field and conditions, break a piece of equipment, and be responsible for a player he can’t directly talk to, getting a new, fitted piece of equipment, onto his head so he can face up, in two minutes. Right.

So when Mitchell Starc breaks a spike or a boot: do you think the 12th man should sprint out and ensure he finishes the over within the allotted 4 minutes plus change?

Ridiculous stance

I haven't seen the series of events, but why didn't he just face the spinner for one ball without a helmet?

Seems like an obvious solution...
I think quite rightly he didn't think he was going to be timed out given it was obvious what he was waiting for. He'd have just thought he'd get the equipment replaced as has happened thousands of times before. Not usually before a ball is bowled to him but still that would have been his thinking.

As the commentators said, Mathews should have made the umpires and Shakib aware that his helmet strap had broke rather than just wandering off and waiting for a new helmet to be brought out, without him making them aware of it he just looked like he was wasting time.

Perhaps but most cricketers would be under the assumption they’re not dealing with f***heads

No, you have two minutes.
You expect a batsman to walk roughly 100m - one minute - have a quick conference with his batting partner, take guard, get his head around the field and conditions, break a piece of equipment, and be responsible for a player he can’t directly talk to, getting a new, fitted piece of equipment, onto his head so he can face up, in two minutes. Right.

So when Mitchell Starc breaks a spike or a boot: do you think the 12th man should sprint out and ensure he finishes the over within the allotted 4 minutes plus change?

Ridiculous stance

No what’s ridiculous is batsmen thinking they can get away with everything. If it was against the rules for Starc, no issue get another bowler to finish the over.

Batsmen have caused these issues massively, it was a spinner there actually was a solution you know, face up then call it after that ball or are you that concerned he’s turning into Brett Lee or something

First night back from my honeymoon and I finally get to sit down and watch a full game at this world cup and I see a timed out. Nice.

This definitely is closer to the whole spirit of cricket argument as, unlike mankads or bairstows where they are legitimate dismissals that some have arbitrarily deemed "unsporting", this is actually something that could be resolved with an actual conversation with the opposition captain and umpire where a common sense consensus can be reached.

Ultimately though, there are still a few bad decisions here: Why not, you know, face the over out (as it was a spinner on) and get a trainer/12th man out to replace the helmet between overs? Kinda had to be punished for a bit of stupidity/unprofessionalism there.

But I'd agree, this one is definitely closer to "the line".

No what’s ridiculous is batsmen thinking they can get away with everything. If it was against the rules for Starc, no issue get another bowler to finish the over.

Batsmen have caused these issues massively, it was a spinner there actually was a solution you know, face up then call it after that ball or are you that concerned he’s turning into Brett Lee or something

They don’t mate and making out like someone breaking their equipment is ‘a batsman thinking he can get away with anything’ is f**king stupid

I think he assumed he'd be fine to change it and didn't even consider for a moment that it would be a timed out issue.

If he'd asked for permission to change it, they could have said no or yes..
Fair enough, but if he's just wandered off and not told the fielding team or the umpires what he's doing then I have a little less sympathy for him, especially in this day and age where we are starting to see fielding teams - correctly IMO - apply the rules more vigorously to batsmen who, for decades, have been getting away with all sorts of egregious s**t and not losing their wicket under the "spirit of cricket".

Again, I haven't seen the incident, but if Matthews has told the umpires about his strap then it should be on them to call a "dead ball" or a "timeout"...

I feel like Angelo is paying for the sins of many batsmen before him.

I suspect there will be a rule change to "reaching the pitch within the two minutes" rather than "ready to face the next delivery in two minutes" (or whatever the specific rules is).

Last edited:
Perhaps but most cricketers would be under the assumption they’re not dealing with f***heads

It was still poor form from Shakib to appeal for it even if he wasn't aware his helmet strap had broke, most captains wouldn't stoop that low.

What, pray tell, was Mathews trying to get away with?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They don’t mate and making out like someone breaking their equipment is ‘a batsman thinking he can get away with anything’ is f**king stupid

It’s the principle and batsmen would abuse it to no end. Sorry but batsmen know the rules sure a helmet strap is unlucky but he was bowling 90ks

What, pray tell, was Mathews trying to get away with?

Where does it end and why does Bangladesh get screwed they we’re ready. There are time limits what happens if those 2-3 more minutes cause them going over the limit? How is that fair?

Where does it end and why does Bangladesh get screwed they we’re ready. There are time limits what happens if those 2-3 more minutes cause them going over the limit? How is that fair?
Again, what was Mathews trying to get away with?

Actually, I'm surprised there is nothing in the rules already in regards to equipment malfunctions that the umpires could have fallen back on to give him not out.

Fair enough, but if he's just wandered off and not told the fielding team or the umpires what he's doing then I have a little less sympathy for him, especially in this day and age where we are starting to see fielding teams - correctly IMO - apply the rules more vigorously to batsmen who, for decades, have been getting away with all sorts of egregious s**t and not losing their wicket under the "spirit of cricket".

Again, I haven't seen the incident, but if Matthews has told the umpires about his strap then it should be on them to call a "dead ball" or a "timeout"...

I feel like Angelo is paying for the sins of many batsmen before him.

I suspect there will be a rule change to "reaching the pitch within the two minutes" rather than "ready to face the next delivery in two minutes" (or whatever the specifics areas).
Think this is a fair take

Again, what was Mathews trying to get away with?

Stopping momentum for one. Yes it’s unlucky but then the next bloke will do it the next game and the one after. If you give batsmen a bit they will rig it to the maximum degree

Not sure how I feel about this one.

The rule is there, but rare enough that it hasn't go the nuance around it like many other dismissals. Also the batsman did get to the centre.

The health and safety of this is probably the strongest argument for this to be not out.

On the flip side - the bowling team only have so long to get through their overs.

If Mathews knew he'd be timed out - he probably would have faced a ball with the strap looped through the grill - and replaced after one ball.

Handshakes after the game will be interesting.

Stopping momentum for one. Yes it’s unlucky but then the next bloke will do it the next game and the one after. If you give batsmen a bit they will rig it to the maximum degree
Sri Lanka had lost a wicket after a 60 odd run stand when Mathews came in. Some momentum for Bangladesh that is.

Mathews - "Oh, we've lost a wicket, I'd better stop that momentum by having a strap on my helmet break and hold up play".

Suuuuuuure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back