Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 37!, 1 (busted) BIG FISH ALERT last October 9th) (9 confirmed! 17 Busted!)

Remove this Banner Ad

What point? It was just a hypothetical question. I think he'd have a hard time proving he wasn't just pushed out by more talented players. It's just all this talk of his concussions makes me wonder if the club's concerns about his health have influenced selection policy/list management decisions and whether that could lead to trouble down the line.
Perhaps they can point to the time they left him out as concern and the did enough to avoid long term damage?

Aren't most of these concussion lawsuits mainly because clubs ought to have known but did nothing , as apposed to doing even the bare minimum? (I mean don't get me wrong, probably not great bit perhaps legally okay)

From what I understand CTE can happen even without concussion so at what stage is playing AFL accepting you could get it (like a knee injury)

Perhaps they can point to the time they left him out as concern and the did enough to avoid long term damage?

Aren't most of these concussion lawsuits mainly because clubs ought to have known but did nothing , as apposed to doing even the bare minimum? (I mean don't get me wrong, probably not great bit perhaps legally okay)

From what I understand CTE can happen even without concussion so at what stage is playing AFL accepting you could get it (like a knee injury)
Oh I get why clubs like Port would be open to lawsuits for reckless lack of care for their players. I'm just wondering whether it's possible to be too cute going the other way. If there was a club that could get itself into trouble for that, it would be Adelaide.

Oh I get why clubs like Port would be open to lawsuits for reckless lack of care for their players. I'm just wondering whether it's possible to be too cute going the other way. If there was a club that could get itself into trouble for that, it would be Adelaide.
Yep we would.

But I'm not sure at what point a player continuing to play limits the liability

But didn't a WCE player retire on doctors advice? So surely Hamill has similar advice provided ? (it was via the AFLPA I believe)

Would be hard to prove that he wasn't being selected for AFL due to concussions.

Yep we would.

But I'm not sure at what point a player continuing to play limits the liability

But didn't a WCE player retire on doctors advice? So surely Hamill has similar advice provided ? (it was via the AFLPA I believe)
Venables retired for the same reason Seed did, failure to recover from concussion symptoms.

CTE is not just concussions but covers blows to the head ie boxing etc.

Venables retired for the same reason Seed did, failure to recover from concussion symptoms.
So there would be people at the clubs disposal to make sure Hamill is okay to go ?

Genuine question, I'm only assuming that the AFL or AFLPA has them available to all players (especially ones like Hamill that have been knocked out a few times )

What point? It was just a hypothetical question. I think he'd have a hard time proving he wasn't just pushed out by more talented players. It's just all this talk of his concussions makes me wonder if the club's concerns about his health have influenced selection policy/list management decisions and whether that could lead to trouble down the line.
Okay, fair enough - I would think every club would be taking medical advice at every point in the process. There's protocols to follow, and I think every club would follow them to the letter?

That being said, we have seen players being put back on the field after head impacts, so maybe it's not black and white.

In any event, I think we've shown genuine caution with Hamill.

Okay, fair enough - I would think every club would be taking medical advice at every point in the process. There's protocols to follow, and I think every club would follow them to the letter?

That being said, we have seen players being put back on the field after head impacts, so maybe it's not black, white, silver and teal.

In any event, I think we've shown genuine caution with Hamill.

Amended for correctness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So there would be people at the clubs disposal to make sure Hamill is okay to go ?

Genuine question, I'm only assuming that the AFL or AFLPA has them available to all players (especially ones like Hamill that have been knocked out a few times )
Unnecessary. The club can just log on here and get all the advice it needs about whether Hamill can play or not.

That's like saying I have no right to comment on the risks of driving because I'm not an emergency services worker or driving instructor.

You've never had any meaningful role in football, so maybe you shouldn't comment on a footy forum 🤣

The original opinion that I responded to suggested that it was fair to assume that Hamill was following good medical advice. Aside from the fact that you can't argue the countless examples of players acting against medical advice (or humans in general, for that matter), the issue is that the advice provided can correctly diagnose recovery from concussion symptoms and also include a warning about future complications arising from further incidents.

It's disingenuous to think that a player isn't choosing to risk the possible implications of multiple concussions if they continue to play after having experienced multiple concussions, even if they have followed medical advice by not playing until recovering from the immediate effects of concussion.

It's also disingenuous to think that, as more empirical evidence piles on, sport won't take the decision out of players hands. Sport has only recently introduced mandatory concussion protocols, it's inevitable that eventually there will be a move to deregistration after a certain number of concussion events. Financially, sporting codes will not have a choice.

Wild. Absolutely wild to see you compare driving & general road safety to actual clinical diagnosis of complex medical issues

his personal medical history is not only not known to you, they are unknowable to you. Some random shlub.

Yet, that’s only a minor blip on your cognitive reasoning?

Wild.

Wild. Absolutely wild to see you compare driving & general road safety to actual clinical diagnosis of complex medical issues

his personal medical history is not only not known to you, they are unknowable to you. Some random shlub.

Yet, that’s only a minor blip on your cognitive reasoning?

Wild.
That wasn't the comparison at all, but then, you know that 😜

Surely Bassett should be sounded out
As I’ve said earlier when port let him go I doubt he will ever have a role while Roo is involved … would have to be a real emergency

That’s the exact reason he should get a role , he’s an outsider ( even though he’s a former crow )

The irony of this persistent but obscure attention seeker never fails. Each and every time. Nothing to add, same cartoonish drive by style

Always the same, always lacking the same self awareness, always disappears into his burrow afterwards.
Sort of agree with you on the concussion thing , we can’t pretend to know the ins and outs more than highly qualified people involved in Hamill’s care and management that have all the information in from of them

Having said that we all know much more than all the highly qualified coaches and administrators at our club 😂 even though most of us haven’t done a level 1 coaching course

It’s an opinion chat site , you don’t need to carry on like a pork chop belittling people just because you don’t agree with them , even if you are right for once

As I’ve said earlier when port let him go I doubt he will ever have a role while Roo is involved … would have to be a real emergency

That’s the exact reason he should get a role , he’s an outsider ( even though he’s a former crow )
Roo wouldn't have any in involvement in this process, it's an assistant coach and that hiring is the responsibility of Nicks and Kelly, not the board. If Bassett wasn't wanted it'd be because Nicks (having worked with him) crossed him off the list.

Roo wouldn't have any in involvement in this process, it's an assistant coach and that hiring is the responsibility of Nicks and Kelly, not the board. If Bassett wasn't wanted it'd be because Nicks (having worked with him) crossed him off the list.
And why has he never ever looked like having a role at the club pre Nicks ?

Roo has more say over the footy program than you realise over the past 6-7 years

And why has he never ever looked like having a role at the club pre Nicks ?

Roo has more say over the footy program than you realise over the past 6-7 years
Also ....doesn't the question need to be asked ..why was Bassett the only line Coach let go ????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back