Name some players like Jason Heatley (one season wonders)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah what a season. He should have been given more of a go at West Coast. I think he signed with them at the end of 93, then left for the Saints in that dream 97 season. He played some good games in 96 from limited opportunities. I don't know if he was injured or just left out but look at what the Eagles did in 1995, and he could have been useful. Sumich hardly played that year. I think Sumich got like 20 goals. That's why Heatley was waving his hand at Malthouse in that 1997 game at Subi which the Saints won.

Fraser Gehrig wasn't a one season wonder but what a season he had in 2004. Also leaving West Coast for The Saints ( what is it about West Coast and The Saints, and Spearheads ) he kicked over 100 goals. Just dynamic.

Scott Cummings left Port for The Eagles and kicked 95 goals in 1999. Again he wasn't a one season wonder but I'm just putting in these guys great seasons. I know he had some huge games in 2000 booting 14 against Adelaide and 10 against Freo. Cummings may have kicked 8 goals on debut for the Bombers against Sydney in 1994. I cbf checking if that was his first game or not, I think it is.

Brad pierce , kicks 52 in a season for the blues
4 in the grand final. Goat of 1 season wonder
******* goal kicking machine.

Matt Clape in 95 as well from The West Coast again, going to Carlton. Snagged 7 majors against the Crows ( at The G I think ) and kicked like 42 or 45 for the season.

West Coast have let away some gems. They did get Cummings though who was huge for them.

Matt Clape in 95 as well from The West Coast again, going to Carlton. Snagged 7 majors against the Crows ( at The G I think ) and kicked like 42 or 45 for the season.

West Coast have let away some gems. They did get Cummings though who was huge for them.
They were so strong for basically all of the 90's that there was always going to be good players that left for more opportunity

Jason Watts - 44 goals in the forward pocket in 1996.

Only played five games over the next two years then delisted.

Ben McKinley kicking 42 goals in his second year for WC deserves a mention. Dropped a few times the next year then career quickly flamed out.

Jason Watts - 44 goals in the forward pocket in 1996.

Only played five games over the next two years then delisted.

Ben McKinley kicking 42 goals in his second year for WC deserves a mention. Dropped a few times the next year then career quickly flamed out.
McKinley sounds familiar. I remember him although I don't remember him kicking that amount of goals, nor the year. I don't doubt you though.

What year was that?

McKinley sounds familiar. I remember him although I don't remember him kicking that amount of goals, nor the year. I don't doubt you though.

What year was that?

2008, his second season. Followed it up with 30 in 2009.

John Anthony kicked 50 in 2009. I’d say he was a one hit wonder.

2008, his second season. Followed it up with 30 in 2009.

John Anthony kicked 50 in 2009. I’d say he was a one hit wonder.
Yeah he did his job for us that season. That Crows game in the finals. '' Right in front of me. Right in front of me ''

Tyson Stengle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cummings waa huge in more ways than one :)

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Troy Wilson had a short stint of being quite good from memory.

Matthew Egan maybe more than one season but a very short stint of being one of the best Backmen around then came injury.

59 games all Australian and premiership.

Troy Wilson had a short stint of being quite good from memory.

Matthew Egan maybe more than one season but a very short stint of being one of the best Backmen around then came injury.

59 games all Australian and premiership.

I don't feel like Egan qualifies for this thread.

Ryan Gamble, on the other hand, does.

Simon Cox came across to us from the Dogs at the end of '01 and absolutely dominated in 2002 (finishing runner-up in the b&f) with his laser left foot and general versatility but it was almost like he'd forgotten how to football in '03 and got cut at the end of the year.

Scott Cummings left Port for The Eagles and kicked 95 goals in 1999. Again he wasn't a one season wonder but I'm just putting in these guys great seasons. I know he had some huge games in 2000 booting 14 against Adelaide and 10 against Freo. Cummings may have kicked 8 goals on debut for the Bombers against Sydney in 1994. I cbf checking if that was his first game or not, I think it is.

Yep certainly was his first game. Kicked 8 and people were calling him Coleman (who kicked 12 in his first game).

He kicked 32 in 10 games that year, his first season.

Was a very very good classic full forward.

Incredible stupidity by Sheedy who then thought he’d throw around the ground, moving him to CHF and even CHB at once stage over the next couple of years.

He went to Port in 97 and promptly kicked 70 goals for them.

Luckily for us, Lloyd arrived and all was forgotten.

Yep certainly was his first game. Kicked 8 and people were calling him Coleman (who kicked 12 in his first game).

He kicked 32 in 10 games that year, his first season.

Was a very very good classic full forward.

Incredible stupidity by Sheedy who then thought he’d throw around the ground, moving him to CHF and even CHB at once stage over the next couple of years.

He went to Port in 97 and promptly kicked 70 goals for them.

Luckily for us, Lloyd arrived and all was forgotten.
s**t did he snag 70 at Port? heck I forgot. Now that you mention it I do recall Sheedy flirting with form and sening the big man backwards. He played Full Back too I'm 99 percent positive?

In 97 I know he had a big of 8. May have been against Collingwood I can't recall. I do remember they beat you guys at Footy Park and then smashed ya's by 8 goals on a Friday Night at The G. I reckon he and Wanganeen bagged 4 a piece.

Scotty was a gun. Good bloke too and I wish him well. He's had it tough, but he's a true legend. A great, big heart!

Will Langford 2014 final series
For whatever reason he is the first player I think of when I saw this thread bump.

Wasn't just the final series he was building all year started as a defensive tagger as he was the year before, slowly moved away from that role to eventually become an attacking HF/Mid (quite a transition in role). Then he peaks at the right time and as an absolute game breaker throughout the finals series.

Wayne Hernaman, recruited from WAFL club South Fremantle by Richmond, certainly justified his high rating of 7 in the 1992 National Draft by delivering the Tigers a stellar 1993 debut season, the young recruit often playing well in teams badly beaten in a dismal season for Richmond. He seemed a star in the making who would play many fine games for the Tigers in coming years and would be central to the team's efforts to climb the ladder.

However, the 1994 season brought just 3 games for Hernaman, all late in the season (injuries?) and he was delisted at year's end. What makes it all the stranger is that no other AFL club took a punt at drafting him, not even the Fremantle Dockers for their debut 1995 team or the struggling Fitzroy. IIRC there was no career ending injury. He did not return to South Fremantle or another WAFL team, move across the border to the SANFL, remain in Melbourne to play with a VFL team, or try his hand in any of the top leagues in Tasmania, NSW, ACT, Queensland or the Northern Territory. It's like he vanished from the face of the planet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back