Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Always easy when you’re playing yourself, the 18th best team, and dominating 🤪

Not sure they’re 18th this year tbh. As a West Australian side home ground advantage usually gets you 2-3 wins in 50/50 games alone. Only exception is they’re historically bad and so sh** there’s very few 50/50 games - like West Coast were last two years.

I’d expect them to beat the more sh** Victorian sides like North, Hawthorn, Richmond and Essendon at home this year tbh. 5-6 wins might be a realistic goal.

On a side note - absolutely no idea how we’re genuinely expected to be worse than Richmond or Essendon by some people it media tbh. I really can’t understand it. Put the two teams side by side and there’s no way you could possibly have that view. Essendon probably have the worst looking team I’ve ever seen from a “top eight contender”.

Not sure they’re 18th this year tbh. As a West Australian side home ground advantage usually gets you 2-3 wins in 50/50 games alone. Only exception is they’re historically bad and so sh** there’s very few 50/50 games - like West Coast were last two years.

I’d expect them to beat the more sh** Victorian sides like North, Hawthorn, Richmond and Essendon at home this year tbh. 5-6 wins might be a realistic goal.

On a side note - absolutely no idea how we’re genuinely expected to be worse than Richmond or Essendon by some people it media tbh. I really can’t understand it. Put the two teams side by side and there’s no way you could possibly have that view. Essendon probably have the worst looking team I’ve ever seen from a “top eight contender”.
Essendon I can understand because they are much more mature than us. They may be vanilla as ****, but they're experienced enough to be consistent (in theory).

Unless a few of those top 10 picks become A grade soon, I reckon they're no chance of winning a flag with that list though. The most underwhelming top end in the league probably.

Reminds me of when the Saints thought they were in the flag mix and brought in Hill et al and proceeded to be mediocre. Think Bombers will do similar, maybe peaking with a prelim.

Don't rate Essendons list at all but do rate Brad Scott as a coach. I think he can't net them a few more wins they deserve and give the Victorian media false hope

I must say there is something incredibly exciting about watching someone like Young who based on our drafting history should have turned out a mediocre HBF in there ripping balls away from clearance in concert with Fyfe, Serong etc.

About watching Amiss who might have turned out to be Schache looking more like Jeremy Cameron with better ground skills.

And especially seeing Luke Jackson who could have been any number of our failed trades looking like . . .
well looking like no one at all because he's utterly unique and could be the best player in the game.

Cautiously add in a Fyfe who, while not what he once was, is merely an A grade, big bodied contest mid and an elite endurance running wing like Sharp who hopefully brings a bit of Langdon, Hill and Acres back to the table, Johnson who looks a bit like Mundy on angry pills and Simpson who (dare I say but I know I'm not the first) has a hint of the Judd - hit the contest at full pace and run away with it straight at the goals - vibe.

I so hope JL has the nads to play Simpson and back him from game 1. If you've got it you've got it.

Interesting year.

The scary thing and I’m sure any others that were there on Friday would agree on is out of Jackson, Treacy and Amiss performances..Amiss was probably outperformed by the other two, yet kicks 4 goals. When he starts dominating 4 qtrs he’ll be kicking 7 to 12 goals on a regular basis.

The scary thing and I’m sure any others that were there on Friday would agree on is out of Jackson, Treacy and Amiss performances..Amiss was probably outperformed by the other two, yet kicks 4 goals. When he starts dominating 4 qtrs he’ll be kicking 7 to 12 goals on a regular basis.
I mean, you won't find a bigger Amiss fan than me (I'll fight his mum if need be), but this might be Taylor at the trade table levels of hyperbole.

Essendon I can understand because they are much more mature than us. They may be vanilla as ****, but they're experienced enough to be consistent (in theory).

Unless a few of those top 10 picks become A grade soon, I reckon they're no chance of winning a flag with that list though. The most underwhelming top end in the league probably.

Reminds me of when the Saints thought they were in the flag mix and brought in Hill et al and proceeded to be mediocre. Think Bombers will do similar, maybe peaking with a prelim.

Hawthorn is the mystifying one. Same age demographic as us, we spanked them twice home and away last year and finished 3 wins ahead with a % nearly 30% better than them, yet they get universally talked up as being better than us.

Well, I mean it's not actually that mystifying. Just another example of how Vic-centric this comp is.

Hawthorn is the mystifying one. Same age demographic as us, we spanked them twice home and away last year and finished 3 wins ahead with a % nearly 30% better than them, yet they get universally talked up as being better than us.

Well, I mean it's not actually that mystifying. Just another example of how Vic-centric this comp is.
This 100%! Mitchell is the second coming blah….blah….exciting list….we smash them……crickets….

It’s crazy same with the crows.
Nicks record is shit compared to JL
They couldn’t make finals with Tex having a career year and Sloan laird smith all playing 22 games.
In 2023 If Fyfe who is younger then Tex had a career year and tabs Sonny JOM played 22 games freo would have won a final at least.
We are btm 4 contenders in some eyes and cows are top 4 Bolters in others

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just checked his 2023 stats, averaged 5.09 kicks for 1.86 goals per game, if we can get him up to 10 kicks a game he’ll average 4 goals a game, that’s 90 in the H&A season!

Edit: he averages less than 80% TOG as well, increase his tank and watch out!

They don't even score either. The obsession with the Crows is largely due to the fact they score.

Hawks had a dire forwardline last year.

It's literally based off two games versus the Lions and Pies and Mitchell's reputation. They did add a few forwardline pieces but the only one I feel confident in is Watson.

This 100%! Mitchell is the second coming blah….blah….exciting list….we smash them……crickets….
To be fair, I think he goes alright, it's their list I think is overrated at this point in time.

Hawks particularly now with Day and Moores whole season under a cloud. That’s two of their top 5 players under a cloud. A long term injury to Lewis or Sicily and it’s scary hours for that team

I know this is divisive but im very concerned for where Ras ends up. Concerned because he seems like an awesome kid and I’ll always have admiration for someone who works has hard as he does but watching Simpson and hearing JL firm on getting him on ball in a few years, I don’t know where he fits.

I can’t see him getting midfield time ahead of Serong, Young, Brayshaw, Johnson and yes, Simpson (kid is a legit AFL mid with amazing hands and speed per the intra club) in two years.

This is strangely an even bigger problem if they get McDonald IMO because it means they are all in on midfielder Jackson.

Kid needs a second position asap.

I know this is divisive but im very concerned for where Ras ends up. Concerned because he seems like an awesome kid and I’ll always have admiration for someone who works has hard as he does but watching Simpson and hearing JL firm on getting him on ball in a few years, I don’t know where he fits.

I can’t see him getting midfield time ahead of Serong, Young, Brayshaw, Johnson and yes, Simpson (kid is a legit AFL mid with amazing hands and speed per the intra club) in two years.

This is strangely an even bigger problem if they get McDonald IMO because it means they are all in on midfielder Jackson.

Weird that they haven't tried to utilise him at half forward.

Erasmus will be fine, he'll turn into that solid midfield workhorse that tackles and blocks and smashes in, which every successful team has. If he was picked up at pick 30 not pick 10 we wouldn't even be having the conversation - he's never going to be elite but he'll do good

Erasmus will be fine, he'll turn into that solid midfield workhorse that tackles and blocks and smashes in, which every successful team has. If he was picked up at pick 30 not pick 10 we wouldn't even be having the conversation - he's never going to be elite but he'll do good
I think he’s an AFL player and I think he can have a good career in just not sure that’s with us due to the age of the rest of our midfield talent. I’m probably going too early on Simpson but even then he’s the 5th best young midfielder on our list with currently no other position

I think he’s an AFL player and I think he can have a good career in just not sure that’s with us due to the age of the rest of our midfield talent. I’m probably going too early on Simpson but even then he’s the 5th best young midfielder on our list with currently no other position
Both can rotate forward. We are losing Walters, Fyfe, shortly.
Then JOM, so there will be changes.

I

still don’t get why they don’t try Ras in the early Petracca role of fwd with mid stints was a goal kicker in colts and I could defs see him being a 20+ goal a year player

I think he's got a 2nd position or even more. He's too good to disappear off the map. I predict he'll be decent as a half fwd if he can't get into the middle full time.
He'll still get stints in there tho.

Maybe. On one reading he could be Taylor Adams, goes OK but shunted to other clubs by more stacked midfields - but our midfield is short of Collingwood 2023 or even GWS mid 2010s.
On another reading how sure are you he's the 5th or 6th best? Serong is clearly #1, Brayshaw has a couple of years experience on them all, and then there's the rest you name that are all big potential but no actual output yet. What you're saying is we have all seen Johnson and Young do more special things as individual players then Erasmus - no doubt. But that doesn't mean you can buiild a premiership midfield without someone that does the unglamorous grunt work. Who's it going to be to step up and do that? No ****er did it last year. Arguably the game against the pies that Ras laid 10 tackles was the closest anyone came

Remove this Banner Ad

Back