Player Watch #27: Miller Bergman - BFNAAK - Extends to end of 2025 - to return from broken jaw in VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

What tools does this guy bring to our team?

Has nice skills but doesn’t get it enough and has no physicality.
Saw in games last year teams took him to the goal square to use his lack of body work against him.
Positions himself well in defence, can anticipate the play, plays team defence and is generally a good user.

He's a far smarter player than Goater

Positions himself well in defence, can anticipate the play, plays team defence and is generally a good user.
Yeah. Reckon he will be a good structural / glue player that makes players around him better and is rock solid.

Yes but you need the tools to back it up - hasn’t really got a 1 wood.

He’s fighting for a spot against sheez , Lmac , goater , fisher and even Scott might be played back.

Don’t think he gets game before any of the above and in saying that I really like Bergman

Does he position himself well? Can't say I've noticed that. I can believe he's smarter than Goater but I'd imagine many of our players are in that group.

We really need him getting it 20 times a game if we're to offset the impact of his twig-thin frame at the moment. He cannot be relied upon to play a negating role so if he isn't contributing to the attacking side of things, it means he's really doing not much

Does he position himself well? Can't say I've noticed that. I can believe he's smarter than Goater but I'd imagine many of our players are in that group.

We really need him getting it 20 times a game if we're to offset the impact of his twig-thin frame at the moment. He cannot be relied upon to play a negating role so if he isn't contributing to the attacking side of things, it means he's really doing not much
The funny thing is, I think he has got some pretty impressive defensive smarts but he just has not been able to develop the body to make it happen yet. 2024 is going to be make or break it seems (despite it being his 3/4th year.

Probably a bit taller than Lachie Whitfield, but at least 5-10 kg in arrears, strikes me as that style of player.

I like Miller.....but he just has to improve his kicking skills especially not under pressure and hit that man on his own 30+ out and not over his head. He improves that, he doesn't need to run and carry, just pass it off to Kerch/Sheez/Hardemann/Fisher.
Maybe you mean kicking consistency. His actual skills are fine. Good, even

Where's this - he's smarter than Goater or most of the group are smarter than Goater coming from?

Seriously, both players have hardly been exposed at the level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s fighting for a spot against sheez , Lmac , goater , fisher and even Scott might be played back.

Don’t think he gets game before any of the above and in saying that I really like Bergman
Good thing is Miller has got time on his side. Glad he is contracted until the end of 2025. Will be an interesting one to track the next 18 months.

He is one of our smartest defenders with ball in hand. Not sure where the poor-skills call is coming from to be honest.
Not just in the last intra but even through the season, and zoomba23 is partially correct, it could be consistency or just concentration but l do notice he can switch off when he's open and then spots a player on his own 30+ odd out, and kicks it over their head - just something that l feel he gets right, he'll feature down back for some time.

Probably a bit taller than Lachie Whitfield, but at least 5-10 kg in arrears, strikes me as that style of player.

Whitfield is one of the smartest rebounding defenders in the league.

I don't think he gets close to that level.

He strikes me more as a Sam Wright style player, not really athletic, not particularly big, just a clean and neat footballer for the most part.

Unlike Wright did with MacMillan, Atley etc, Miller has probably one of the best groups of young half backs in the league to compete with a spot (McKercher, Sheezel, Goater, Fisher, Hardeman).

Even Hardeman might make it pretty difficult for him, as he looked very athletic on limited showing against other AFL bodies.

I think on form and what he brings to the team he deserves a game a head of LMac however this is unlikely to happen given LMac is co-captain.

He strikes me more as a Sam Wright style player, not really athletic, not particularly big, just a clean and neat footballer for the most part.

Unlike Wright did with MacMillan, Atley etc, Miller has probably one of the best groups of young half backs in the league to compete with a spot (McKercher, Sheezel, Goater, Fisher, Hardeman).

Even Hardeman might make it pretty difficult for him, as he looked very athletic on limited showing against other AFL bodies.

I’d have Hardeman ahead of him already. Lot’s to like about his game yesterday, definitely physically capable and has confidence in his abilities.

I think on form and what he brings to the team he deserves a game a head of LMac however this is unlikely to happen given LMac is co-captain.
Probably neither of them should not get a look in.
I’d rather old Dawson plays that role of corr is ready for rd 1

I'll stay with my existing take on this comparison- he has much better vision and disposal than Wright had.

Sam was a decent kick off either foot but Miller is a level above with his use by foot imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back