Jason McCartney Return Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 24, 2018
Lockdown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I needed a break from reading about every trade rumour so I started watching some old YouTube footage and found the Jason McCartney return game. Wow! What an inspiration. It was spine tingling standing behind the Richmond goals when everyone in their seats stood up in unison to clap McCartney to the square. Still gives me goose bumps now. It just seemed fitting he had a small touch in the match winning goal too. What a night. What were your memories from that night?

I needed a break from reading about every trade rumour so I started watching some old YouTube footage and found the Jason McCartney return game. Wow! What an inspiration. It was spine tingling standing behind the Richmond goals when everyone in their seats stood up in unison to clap McCartney to the square. Still gives me goose bumps now. It just seemed fitting he had a small touch in the match winning goal too. What a night. What were your memories from that night?

I remember all the people being there for it - survivors and friends and family. I remember the Richmond end greeting Jason, and the roar every time he went near it, and the reaction when he took a mark. I remember his touch and the goal that won it and I remember all our team racing to him.Somehow I don’t remember the post match, in my mind the audio in the ground wasn’t clear and we didn’t realise straight away that he had announced his retirement. One of the greatest nights in my time going to games, it felt bigger than North and bigger than football but we also had the excitement and enjoyment of a win.

You are a hard man who doesn’t get misty eyed at it
Yeah for sure. My wife was about 7 months pregnant at that game and I think we had names picked out, except on the day he was born, our son suddenly became Jason instead of whatever we had originally chosen.

I made him watch that bit of video tonight.

And I swear, as Kingy got a foot to that ball I was the first person in the crowd to call the mark by McCartney.

I don’t remember the post match, in my mind the audio in the ground wasn’t clear and we didn’t realise straight away that he had announced his retirement.
That's right. There was a lot of crowd noise and it took a few seconds for the realisation to kick in when he made that announcement.

I'm the same and heard the audio but did not register until a bit after as it was not clear. Loved that game as went with my (now wife) who is Richmond!:p

A very special night for me and the family. My son ran out as the mascot with the team.
We spent some time in the rooms before and after the game. Had a quick chat with Jason who said he was grateful for my son running out with him because it gave him something to focus on.

Probably the highlight of following the Roos for me for the last 50 years .... although 75 GF wasn't bad.

In 2003 there were two teams that won it all - Brisbane and North Melbourne.

I remember all the people being there for it - survivors and friends and family. I remember the Richmond end greeting Jason, and the roar every time he went near it, and the reaction when he took a mark. I remember his touch and the goal that won it and I remember all our team racing to him.Somehow I don’t remember the post match, in my mind the audio in the ground wasn’t clear and we didn’t realise straight away that he had announced his retirement. One of the greatest nights in my time going to games, it felt bigger than North and bigger than football but we also had the excitement and enjoyment of a win.
We were behind the goals, one of the best games I've ever been to.

When Jason made the announcement, me and Gasometer looked at each other wide-eyed for a second, like we knew we'd heard it but it was taking a minute for it to process. Then Gaso went "he's hanging them up" and it started to sink in. We turned to the 2 blokes with us to see if they'd heard, but they had both lit up giant Cubans and were trying to enjoy them and avoid security so we had to break the news to them outside the ground.

Talk about glazed eyes as Jase made his retirement announcement to the crowd on field post game. Everyone around us on lvl 2 was a mess, from both sets of supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jason was my favourite player before all this happened. I had number 5 on the back of my jumper.

I interviewed him in 1999 as part of a VCE assignment, he was so friendly and remembered me when I saw him next. I was devastated in 99 when he missed the flag but seeing him lead the song at Rod Laver Arena was amazing.

When the bombing happened I organised on here to get messages of get well on a website and dropped them off at the hospital to him.

The night in question I went along with 8 of my closest mates (thanks to North sending me the wrong memberships 4 times, they didn't deactivate the bar codes on the wrong ones though, not much has changed it seems) and it is to this day my clear favourite North home and away game.

I went to training the next week and chatted to Jason and he still remembered me. As he did in 2019 when I saw him at the 150 anniversary event.

He is a fantastic person and what happened to him was so unfortunate but it was incredible that the game unfolded the way it did and he got to have a proper farewell. Something we have missed out on with so many other players.

It was a very emotional night. Perhaps more so than any I remember. Maybe the last Fitzroy game at the MCG against Richmond was tougher.

There were tears that night before, during and after the game, because I think we all were just hoping and praying that he would make it back. Topping it off by retiring just took the "wind right out of my sails". Pretty much speechless after that.

We were behind the goals, one of the best games I've ever been to.

When Jason made the announcement, me and Gasometer looked at each other wide-eyed for a second, like we knew we'd heard it but it was taking a minute for it to process. Then Gaso went "he's hanging them up" and it started to sink in. We turned to the 2 blokes with us to see if they'd heard, but they had both lit up giant Cubans and were trying to enjoy them and avoid security so we had to break the news to them outside the ground.

Sadly the best game since 1999

Oh except for the * Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back