Game Day Practice Game 2024 - Roos v Saints - Moorabin- 2pm ish

Remove this Banner Ad

Overall I was pretty pleased with the game today. In contrast to seasons past, we had a poor 15-20 minute patch as opposed to a 15-20 minute good patch through the match. Its not always going to be pretty and while we had some crucial turnovers and dropped marks, so did the Saints and I’d like to think a bit of that was down to some good pressure around the footy at stages today.
Fisher looked really good down back today but Goater was my big takeaway from today. He glides across the ground with ball in hand as smooth as butter, his athleticism is very very good. I wouldnt be surprised to see him take a mark of the year contender at some stage. I wouldn’t mind seeing him trialled up a bit further up the ground at times this year, particularly when we can bring Logue back into the side.
Xerri, outside of a couple of brain dead moments played really well against an AA calibre ruck. I like that he is always looking to give the ball off to a better user in Kerch, Sheezel or Fisher and that seems to be a real theme for us in these 2 preseason games is getting the ball to the guys who know how to hit a target.
The other thing that has been very pleasing, again across both games is our ability to keep our width at the contest and not get sucked too much into the ball. We often have a lot of players ready for an outside handball receive and often have plenty of options to run the ball up with a few looping by handballs. Very exciting. It will be great to see how we go on the fast deck and conditions at Marvel in RD2.

I forgot this in my positives. I thought Larkey was ordinary today. Felt like he had little to no impact. Yet he kicked 3. You've got a real player when he has an impact on his worst days.
3.1, plus one that didn’t score and a shot in the goal square that got taken off him. 6 shots a game is probably Larkey’s standard now

Overall I was pretty pleased with the game today. In contrast to seasons past, we had a poor 15-20 minute patch as opposed to a 15-20 minute good patch through the match. Its not always going to be pretty and while we had some crucial turnovers and dropped marks, so did the Saints and I’d like to think a bit of that was down to some good pressure around the footy at stages today.
Fisher looked really good down back today but Goater was my big takeaway from today. He glides across the ground with ball in hand as smooth as butter, his athleticism is very very good. I wouldnt be surprised to see him take a mark of the year contender at some stage. I wouldn’t mind seeing him trialled up a bit further up the ground at times this year, particularly when we can bring Logue back into the side.
Xerri, outside of a couple of brain dead moments played really well against an AA calibre ruck. I like that he is always looking to give the ball off to a better user in Kerch, Sheezel or Fisher and that seems to be a real theme for us in these 2 preseason games is getting the ball to the guys who know how to hit a target.
The other thing that has been very pleasing, again across both games is our ability to keep our width at the contest and not get sucked too much into the ball. We often have a lot of players ready for an outside handball receive and often have plenty of options to run the ball up with a few looping by handballs. Very exciting. It will be great to see how we go on the fast deck and conditions at Marvel in RD2.
reckon goater is a bit of an attacking half back, looks good with a lot of space n front of him,

Just heard something that sums up perfectly how terrible the umpiring was today;

Apparently Jimmy Webster was not reported.

😳

All good points.

I agree wholeheartedly with the following:

-Scott to wing
-Curtis needs to improve: The silk of Duursma and the utility of Ford will be used with staples of Larkey, Zurhaar and Stephenson. There one spot and bunch of players vying for it in our forward line.
-LDU will get better but in no way can he afford to work his way into the season. He needs to be leading from the front round 1.
Every year folks overreact to LDU practice matches, and eat their words come round one. LDU is good enough not to worry about preseason games.

Just heard something that sums up perfectly how terrible the umpiring was today;

Apparently Jimmy Webster was not reported.

😳

No need for match day reports anymore. Everything has multiple angles so no need for umpires to bother making a split second decision no matter how obvious it is. They paid the down field free, we got a goal, Webster is missing BIG weeks, hope Jy is OK.

But the umpiring was terrible. My 16yo does EFNL junior field umpiring and he seems to know the rules better. Holding the ball is a mess. Get the ball, get tackled and squirm around enough for the ball to spill free. Play on. Did you kick it or handpass it? No? Meh, play on. There was one against us in the last today when the Saints bloke had it forever and he 'kneed' it out. Incorrect disposal? No. Play on.

St Kilda have some of the most disgusting supporters dead set. Had a skim of their board and wow - the bitterness and hatred is something to behold. Bunch of pretenders and/or sex offenders.
When your prized possessions as a supporter is a black and white photo of your only premiership win and a worn out video called "the streak", you would bitter and twisted too.

what was is that exactly? having a 5 minute patch and still being able to be selected? seems he has some pictures of someone in a compromising position? or the tinny mongrel punt that was fortunate enough to land on the flush point of the ball projecting it fwd another 15meters?
That’s one way to look at, I suppose. You’re, probably, right and I don’t reckon CCJ will make it in the long run. Equally, I’m 100% certain he has no photos of anyone and our quadruple premiership coach will move him along quick-fast if he doesn’t cut the mustard quickly. Obviously, he sees something in him that’s worth persisting with at the moment, even if it is as a stop gap measure. I was more impressed with how he took the ball out of the ruck and turned and got it forward quickly on that occasion. Also, I liked a couple of his second efforts. However, I hate his dropping of simple marks. They should be his bread and butter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I forgot this in my positives. I thought Larkey was ordinary today. Felt like he had little to no impact. Yet he kicked 3. You've got a real player when he has an impact on his worst days.
… and he was robbed of a fourth goal by Scott being stupid. Larkey is a very clever player too. He engineered a 50 metre penalty very well in the third.

TT was there. Not sure if anyone else saw him. Smiling and laughing he looked in good spirits. Didn’t look like someone who has pissed their AFL career away.

TT was there. Not sure if anyone else saw him. Smiling and laughing he looked in good spirits. Didn’t look like someone who has pissed their AFL career away.
So you don't want him acting like a normal human being days after he got sacked? You want him to STILL be upset? He's not allowed to move on and be happy? Is that what you want??

No need for match day reports anymore. Everything has multiple angles so no need for umpires to bother making a split second decision no matter how obvious it is. They paid the down field free, we got a goal, Webster is missing BIG weeks, hope Jy is OK.

But the umpiring was terrible. My 16yo does EFNL junior field umpiring and he seems to know the rules better. Holding the ball is a mess. Get the ball, get tackled and squirm around enough for the ball to spill free. Play on. Did you kick it or handpass it? No? Meh, play on. There was one against us in the last today when the Saints bloke had it forever and he 'kneed' it out. Incorrect disposal? No. Play on.
Correct it was above the knee

So you don't want him acting like a normal human being days after he got sacked? You want him to STILL be upset? He's not allowed to move on and be happy? Is that what you want??
A normal human being would not have ****ed the club over the club then turned up laughing and smiling acting like he has no care in the world. That’s just it though , he doesn’t care.

We’re you at the ground? The wind was a massive factor today and the saints had a clear advantage from their local knowledge and played their ground perfectly. The fact we got so close and virtually negated their game in the fourth speaks more to us being the better team than the end scoreboard result indicated.

With neutral umpiring and an enclosed stadium we’ll beat the saints by 3-4 goals

A lot of good signs from today....had no idea how good that skinny kid Duursma is,,,,wow. Kerch I reckon could well be the fastest player in the comp. My main take away from today is these kids are not going to be bullied. There is some really (good) physical mongrel in there. X physically monstered Marshall, Wardlaw doesn't take a backward step, and while quiet, Curtis made his presence felt too. To me feels like they are gelling, taking pride in themselves and the club, and thats the shinboner spirit coming through for the first time in a while I reckon.

But the umpiring was terrible. My 16yo does EFNL junior field umpiring and he seems to know the rules better. Holding the ball is a mess. Get the ball, get tackled and squirm around enough for the ball to spill free. Play on.

The intention of the rules is that a player should attempt to correctly dispose of the ball when tackled. But as you say, they squirm and fumble so that the ball spills free and it’s almost always play on. They do this because they know if they do try to kick or handball but don’t correctly dispose of the ball they will be penalised.

Umpires need to be better and penalise the fake fumbling, but allow for play on when a realistic attempt to dispose of the ball is made.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back