News Tarryn Thomas - 18 matches and sacked from North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Lawrence Angwin come on down.

I reckon he was hard done by..

“However, continuing off-field problems, including charges being laid against him from stealing from teammate Karl Norman, meant he remained a controversial player.[1]

Early in the 2004 season, after Carlton's round 2 win against Geelong, it was claimed that Angwin and Norman arrived at a Carlton training session under the influence of ecstasy
I believe he said that people in the room when he was counselled/sacked were also out with them the night before.

I've already said, multiple times in the other Thomas thread, that wasn't a good idea.

If you want to deflect Rodney you need to find another target.
Deflect.. LOL! We made the right call. Waited for the AFL to investigate, let him have "his day in court", they deemed he'd screwed up, suspended him for basically the season, and then we sacked him.

I could only imagine the pile on we would have copped from the AFLPA, Norf haters, and nuffies on here, had we sacked him before the AFL had completed their investigation.

Not Carltons Jimmy Buckley who killed a guy while driving pissed.
Don't think he missed a week from memory.
Pretty easy to do a google search to see that the case went to court and Buckley was found not guilty of culpable driving. Jury found that the taxi driver was more culpable in causing the accident despite Buckley being over the limit. Different times back then. Pretty hard to punish a player found not guilty by the courts.

Deflect.. LOL! We made the right call. Waited for the AFL to investigate, let him have "his day in court", they deemed he'd screwed up, suspended him for basically the season, and then we sacked him.

I could only imagine the pile on we would have copped from the AFLPA, Norf haters, and nuffies on here, had we sacked him before the AFL had completed their investigation.
North did do the right thing.

12 months to late but hey kudos for getting dragged screaming and kicking into doing the right thing.

I think they’ve sacked him

aged well

“Viney said North Melbourne do not yet have any clarity as to how Thomas would move to another club for next season, should a team wish to recruit him, and that it would be worked out in the course of finalising the end of his contract.”

Yes, he’s been ‘sacked’ but he won’t be removed from their list until that side of things is sorted out.

So it’s unlikely he’ll be able to nominate for the MSD.

It’s North Melbourne - if they did delist him now and another club grabbed him they’d more than likely ask the league for compensation.

In some ways, I actually agree with the approach North have taken.

Yes, they could definately have sacked him earlier than they did and at the very least, perhaps should have been suspended him from football.

Their approach, however, to provide supports around Tarryn, enroll him in education programs, provide mentors, etc I think was the right approach. Working toward changing his behaviour for the sake of his (current and future) victims is always priority one - and more important than football or the "North Melbourne brand". They recognised that they drafted a 17 year old from a tough background who had some serious issues in relation to his attitude toward women. These attitudes are unfortunately still quite prevalent in our society and are very often a 'learnt' behaviour (i.e. most often a result of the relationships and attitudes you have grown up witnessing).

Without re-education and good role models, behaviour like this is often lifelong (unlike some other problematic behaviours that are typically grown out of). After he vowed to 'turn over a new leaf' and was in the midst of his education program, it has come to light that he continued threatening and abusive behaviour throughout. This is the point that North have chosen to sack him (once this was substantiated and punishments handed out) and advise that any future education now needs to be at his own expense. Happy to be corrected but I understand the AFL also imposed behavioural and educational stipulations before he is permitted to re-register to play again, which I think is also an appropriate move and ensures he is not drafted without any attempted remedy (and that he still has a motivation to address his issues).

In short, I am ok with North not having sacked him to now because even though there was self interested involved (as a talented player), they clearly were invested into addressing his behaviours and protecting the victims, which should always be priority 1 (unfortunately, their efforts were in vain).

Pretty easy to do a google search to see that the case went to court and Buckley was found not guilty of culpable driving. Jury found that the taxi driver was more culpable in causing the accident despite Buckley being over the limit. Different times back then. Pretty hard to punish a player found not guilty by the courts.
No offence, but I wonder how much John Elliott had to do with that.

“Viney said North Melbourne do not yet have any clarity as to how Thomas would move to another club for next season, should a team wish to recruit him, and that it would be worked out in the course of finalising the end of his contract.”

Yes, he’s been ‘sacked’ but he won’t be removed from their list until that side of things is sorted out.

So it’s unlikely he’ll be able to nominate for the MSD.

It’s North Melbourne - if they did delist him now and another club grabbed him they’d more than likely ask the league for compensation.
Would he be able to nominate for the msd anyway? Not sure what the rules are but I would be very surprised if it was allowed.

Would he be able to nominate for the msd anyway? Not sure what the rules are but I would be very surprised if it was allowed.
If North released him then he could be eligble but his suspension will continue...what l don't know is how it effects Norths salary cap as even a payout, Tarryn's salary is still on the books but say he nominated for MSD and picked up, does the amount left on his contract go off Norths cap and onto the club who drafted him?

Anyway, North did what was required last year, gave him all the help and resources the player needed and waited till all the criminal court cases were dealt with and when he was found not guilty, he was on his last and final warning and allowed back into the club and played.

Having a female president, female CEO and contending AFLW team, this was the last straw and really, cannot be tolerated in todays AFL club lands or society but l guess he's now learnt the hard way!!

Such a gifted but troubled young player will always lure a team who thinks their 'culture and leadership' environment can get the best out of him and good luck but 18 weeks out of football with a paidout salary, North still provding help, isn't going to change his behaviour...maybe a few years in lower leagues and getting smacked up by a female MMA fighter might wake him up!

What a waste!!

From the AFL statement:

After being alerted by a complaint through the AFL portal in late January, Thomas was interviewed by AFLIU investigators on 29 January 2024. It was ultimately determined by the AFL that Thomas had engaged in multiple acts of misconduct including threatening a woman via direct messages multiple times.

In determining the sanction, the AFL took into account the evidence over a period of time which included Thomas engaging in misconduct while he was undertaking education in 2023 to deal with similar behaviours from earlier that year.
Thanks for that I had thought it was for something that allegedly happened prior to undertaking education and had just come to light.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond has someone on their list who actually went to prison, and is currently charged with more offences.

Unless society deems offences against women, which right now are unproven in court, to be worse, there is a way that Thomas could be drafted again.

I support our decision though.

What has been established as fact? What did he actually do?
What has been established to the satisfaction of the decision maker is that he infringed the AFL respect and responsibility. You don’t get to know the detail, since that policy assures complaintants that matters dealt with under the policy will do no more harm

Get over it

Yep, can't argue with any of that. I think North have handled it well.

Richmond has someone on their list who actually went to prison, and is currently charged with more offences.

Unless society deems offences against women, which right now are unproven in court, to be worse, there is a way that Thomas could be drafted again.

I support our decision though.

Will he go back to the state league and do the graft to get another chance? Stengle went back to the SANFL and kicked 50 odd goals to get a lifeline.

Would think he would have to at least do that to tempt someone. Drug possession offence for Stengle is in isolation, alleged offences against women in the era of AFLW is going to be a hard sell.

Has it been established as fact what he actually did?

I get people wanting to pile on him and judge him for what they imagine or have 'heard' he has done.

For those of us who prefer to base our assessment on actual evidence, what are the facts of the case?

As for Tarryn himself, he's only 23, that's still a kid to me, I hope he picks himself up and overcomes this.

He obviously made some mistakes for things to have ended up here, but he is still young enough to learn from them.

Maybe in a few years we will see him playing professional football and living a good life off the field.

There are such things as redemption arcs and even if it is for another club, I hope a good career is still ahead of him.

There are plenty of people out there who have thrown golden opportunities away, in all walks of life.

Tarryn could go on to learn and grow and make positive changes to his life and become a better person.

If he does this, it could be an example for other people who have messed up to look to, to see there's always hope.
Mate, this is not a pile on. the community should be rightly disgusted by his choices as an ADULT. if he wants to rebuild and overcome this , fine he can function in society on his merits like the rest of but it needs to be away from any form of football. I'd be surprised if any club at any level would want him as part of their community and part of their organisation/brand. Until he takes full accountability of his actions he wont be any where near football. Problem is someone like him lacks the insight to take responsibility and accountibility for their actions.

Has it been established as fact what he actually did?

I get people wanting to pile on him and judge him for what they imagine or have 'heard' he has done.

For those of us who prefer to base our assessment on actual evidence, what are the facts of the case?

As for Tarryn himself, he's only 23, that's still a kid to me, I hope he picks himself up and overcomes this.

He obviously made some mistakes for things to have ended up here, but he is still young enough to learn from them.

Maybe in a few years we will see him playing professional football and living a good life off the field.

There are such things as redemption arcs and even if it is for another club, I hope a good career is still ahead of him.

There are plenty of people out there who have thrown golden opportunities away, in all walks of life.

Tarryn could go on to learn and grow and make positive changes to his life and become a better person.

If he does this, it could be an example for other people who have messed up to look to, to see there's always hope.
The people who have heard the evidence just suspended him for 18 weeks.

That should be enough for most people to form an opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back