Autopsy Round 2 = St Kilda 94-79 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm at a loss to understand or explain how the vast bulk squad to a man seem to have individually (and then agreed as a collective group) to have decided that one premiership is good enough so they don't need to put in even a modicum of effort any more. Frustrated is an understatement after 3 games with barely a yelp given. I still believe in them - if only they'd believe in themselves.

It looks like the matter between the ears isnt allowing the body to do what the players may want it to do.
Too many players sitting back waiting for their teammate to so the work, and that comes with complacency, thinking that l already have a premiership, so l don't have to really go in as hard as l did before l had that premiership.
You just watch the games live, and too many players standing in no mans land, not in positions to be given the ball by a teammate, then you have the flat footed players, who stand around and dont even go in for the ball, yet wait for a teammate to do it.
We did none of this last year. Last year we were swarming the opposition, getting the ball forward with absolute chaos putting the opposition defenders under pressure, and had a manic pressure game on the opposition ball carrier.
The first 3 games this season, l have seen absolutely nothing of our traits from last season. Fly has his work cut out for him this season, because it's not ability, it's in the mind, and it's in the effort, which has been really poor....
The turnovers last night cost us 12 goals. That shows something seriously wrong with the players actual in game thinking. To me it shows the players playing the game, but zero focus on what they're actually doing out there....

3 straight losses and you're here heralding a fall from grace?

If we're going to be discussing streaks, Collingwood has been bog-ordinary but the Carlton shitness has spanned decades. How confident are you that they won't revert to the norm during the year? :)

Stay awesome BennyG, and do a little better job of concealing your joy.

The only list management that needs doing is creating a list of the panic merchants on here calling for a re-build after 3 losses.

Long season, hard start, all that. We can turn things around.

We are paying $2.50 to miss the 8. The whiners should get on it. But pessimists don’t punt.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Outside a couple nice passages I thought pendles was poor and struggled.

2 or 3 passages is not enough to justify a contract.

Round 1 he had 2 touches till half time, Steele had a better game and wasn't too bad.

Round 2 both were off the boil pendles slightly better then Steele, Round 3 Steele had a mare and Pendles looked 40 years old.

Unfortunately father time comes for us all.

I'd let them both play the year with timed rest periods for youth but go out with dignity and hopefully help us finish above 10th.

Pendles was actually clean in majority of his possessions last night. Unfortunately Sidey, who l love, l can't recall having one clean possession. He wasn't the only one, as Crisp had a shocker, but the continuous fumbling, and then just kicking the ball randomly anywhere, just cost turnovers, which in turn cost us goals.
Pendles did have two possessions in opening game, but he did have 16 after half-time and l thought worked his way bsck into that game.

No, I didn’t dream it! Just heard Fly say we’re fitter now during his press conference.

I can’t have it!

Why do we look so slow and flat!

The club psych needs to earn her money now because something is very wrong above the shoulders at the club.

Because want and will power are lacking. It is as much mental, not to mention 5 or 6 nearing nursing home age.

It looks like the matter between the ears isnt allowing the body to do what the players may want it to do.
Too many players sitting back waiting for their teammate to so the work, and that comes with complacency, thinking that l already have a premiership, so l don't have to really go in as hard as l did before l had that premiership.
You just watch the games live, and too many players standing in no mans land, not in positions to be given the ball by a teammate, then you have the flat footed players, who stand around and dont even go in for the ball, yet wait for a teammate to do it.
We did none of this last year. Last year we were swarming the opposition, getting the ball forward with absolute chaos putting the opposition defenders under pressure, and had a manic pressure game on the opposition ball carrier.
The first 3 games this season, l have seen absolutely nothing of our traits from last season. Fly has his work cut out for him this season, because it's not ability, it's in the mind, and it's in the effort, which has been really poor....
The turnovers last night cost us 12 goals. That shows something seriously wrong with the players actual in game thinking. To me it shows the players playing the game, but zero focus on what they're actually doing out there....
Good summation there. Now the ultimate challenge for the club - trying to de-cheese the lasagne.

The issue is that only Nick has brought similar sorta output to 2023.

You can’t name another player who has been in the same form as 2023.
McInnes, macrae, Frampton, Noble, Lipinski…

All the players with something to prove. And less sponsorships, social media activity. Something in that me thinks…..

Last edited:
How does a former player get to umpire games with his former team involved. He favoured the Saints all night, and it was obvious.
Surely the club asks the question to the AFL. That was as close to rigged as possible...
Not only his former team but his former coach.

Which ones has he succeeded with? I’ll let you go as far back as 2010.

Kennedy, Broomhead fmd
We won a flag - that’s a huge tick for the recruiting department. And then there’s our record of making final.
Not to mention that since 2010 we have won as many flags as Geel, who are supposed to have elite recruiters.

Pendles was actually clean in majority of his possessions last night. Unfortunately Sidey, who l love, l can't recall having one clean possession. He wasn't the only one, as Crisp had a shocker, but the continuous fumbling, and then just kicking the ball randomly anywhere, just cost turnovers, which in turn cost us goals.
Pendles did have two possessions in opening game, but he did have 16 after half-time and l thought worked his way bsck into that game.

I feel like you are being very generous in your appraisal with our games record holder there.

How about some skill training.

Hard to tell whatever game plan we are trying to do when we fumble and miss endless handballs.

When you aren’t going well can we go back to a bit more man on man. So much guarding of space and ignoring the opponent who is 5-10m on his own.

Fly said in the press conference it's a major focus of their training skills and working on being clean. He is at a loss.

One more week

There were signs tonight imo that we're getting closer

The sight of Brisbane may fire our boys up and then we're 1-3 with Hawthorn on the menu, season alive

But if we lose next week may as well bottle it and rebuild, play the kids

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We’re not getting closer, we just played worse opposition

Good to see the club is starting to get some selections right and McInnes and frampton were excellent. In fact early days but I’d call frampton a lock in our best 22.

But not enough good selections. Macrae should have played every game this year and should have been in the starting 22 for the past two rounds.

And while it’s good to see them managing older players, WHE this week was the wrong selection. Should have been Sidebottom or at worst Sidey could have been sub. Alternatively they could have thought about resting Howe and giving Dean another game, as third tall.

Finally while this was more of a flip of the coin and using the benefit of hindsight, clearly Noble could have been a better option than Markov.

Tonight’s VFL game will be interesting. Hopefully some pacy players like Harrison will put in good games.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How the hell does the team with the shortest pre-season play 3 games before 9 other sides have played twice? We are an incoherent mess, but that’s making it worse.
That was a real f**kup from the AFL, plus 2 6 day breaks back to back.
They were just milking the cash cow without any regard for our team.
That should make our players angry, but no sign of that so far.

That was pretty disappointing to be honest.

Firstly though, I hope Wood is ok. Hate seeing guys go down like that. I also thought momentum was lost a bit right there too.

Secondly, while I find it disgusting that people hide behind their keyboards relentlessly bagging out young kids, I also thought Nick let himself down a couple of times. In all honesty though, that's actually ok as I think he's still developing physically and will work out those issues over time. He still offers so much which balances out those other things.

I was surprised Steele saw out the game. He would've been the 1st player I would've subbed out.

Love Scotty, but like Moore, IQ, Steele, and a few others, they're giving up too much of the ball to the opposition and it's ultimately costing us the game. I don't know what it is. It looks an easy fix, but is it?

I also feel for Mason Cox. Not his biggest fan, but any chance you could give him a ******* free kick for all the s**t he has to take?

Finally, Umpire #3 seemed to go out of his way to give St Kilda a leg up far more than the other 3. Just added to a frustrating night.
Umpire #3 Leigh Fisher, also ex-StK player. 🥹🥹

I might be wrong but were the only players missing from our Grand Final win - Ginnivan, WHE and Murphy? Two of them were a non factor and WHE was solid without being spectacular. This list should be so much better.

To be fair….decisions weren’t the undoing of Moore.
It was execution. The handball from the square decision was fine. But he hit it 2M left to let the player run onto it.
Thats what did him in.

Worthwhile looking at the execution as well as the decision.

Wasn’t cute last year when he hit it properly and the same play worked yeah?
I thought the decision was poor as well. Had Markov next him but attempts the harder hand ball. Should have given it to Markov who could then run draw a defender then give it off to Lippa.

McInnes and Frampton were the only real positives.
Reef needs to stay in the team now, and Fin to play full games.
It's not much use bringing him on as sub when the game is already gone.
I shouldn't really single players out, because most of our players were fumbly and indecisive, but playing Mitchell ahead of Fin was a real headscratcher.
Titch was terrible.
I think JFN should come in for Markov, as the latter lacked his usual run and carry.
You know Johnny will give 100%.

can we have a new rule at the club that no future first round picks are traded unless its for an absolute star. nothing against Shultz, be he is a workhorse half forward flanker, forward pocket. yes he may get you 30 goals a year, but we gave one up for a 2nd rounder.
this could end up turning into a top ten pick, that is what you build your future on

If Hine keeps refusing to draft one inside the top 10 we will continue to look for flawed kpf through rookies and other clubs NQRs.

No first rounder means we need to aim as high as possible this year and rebuild next year on. Don't go full hard on youth this season drips and drabs in 24.
No first rounder hurts us this year but we need to invest games into youth sooner rather than later.

Doesn’t matter where we finish this season we’re not contending.

Agree he was a bit unlucky with the spoil but he’s found a way to gift goals to the opposition in all 3 games this season whether by hand or by foot.
Darcy has always been prone to the odd howler gift to the opposition like that handball, but I thought we had our aerial game back last night.

The story of the Pies at the moment is our mids and runners. Some really well coached teams have clamped down on our patterns (but I think that happened in the second half of last year) and our mids are as sloppy as it comes at the moment. The opposition mids and runners currently have a better plan, better athletes, better committment and are better skilled - they are killing us.

We should be able to address the skill and committment part. But the athleticism will require player changes and not sure if we can change the plan and patterns easily.

Well, the morning after the night before, my frustration has not abated.

I can cop losing to GWS & Sydney, they will both be there at the pointy end. But St Blunda!?!

We are a shadow of what we were the past two seasons. We look slow, confused, hesitant and reactionary. We have been worked out, and dont have a Plan B, let alone C, D or E.

Our backline is a shambles, only Maynard can hold his head up. Moore is fast becoming a liability. IQ has spent too much time in the gym, and appears to have lost pace & burst. Leggy is looking like the player that was delisted twice. I thought Frampton was a massive upgrade on Dean. Cant understand what they were thinking there.

I haven't seen Mitch do anything Macrae couldn't do. I'm afraid its time to pass the baton, we need to get full games into Fin asap.

The ball is coming out of the forward line way too easily this season. Reef must now be a lock for a decent run of games. Good to see Jamie hit the scoreboard. When we paly like this, McCreery's lack of possessions really shows up. Forward pressure is all very well, but he needs to get more of the ball. Checkers has not looked like kicking a goal since round 1. We had 1 tackle inside 50, 1!

Crisp has been terrible these three weeks. Had 22 last night, but only 183 meters gained. What is he doing?

During the bye week, we need to send Jordy back to Bali and tell him to let rip!!! The 'new' touchy feely Jordy just doesn't cut it.

Thought Josh was easily our best last night, but just had no support. Nick wasn't his usual self, but he was exceptional in the previous two games.

At the moment, it looks like Sidey may have hit the wall, he's just been a liability so far.

Cameron has started the season really well, hopefully he can keep that up. Cox also wasnt too bad, took some nice marks.

I dont cop the talk that Wrighty's LSL has cased issues. Its much deeper than that. Whether we have too many players that are now satisfied with their medal, believing their own hype, or just no longer have the burning desire, I dont know. There is definitely something NQR.

Whatever it is, we have lost our fear factor, and the opposition definitely dont fear out last quarter comebacks any more. There is just no spark or excitement in the way we are playing. Copious amounts of bathwater has definitely been consumed.

We won a flag - that’s a huge tick for the recruiting department. And then there’s our record of making final.
Not to mention that since 2010 we have won as many flags as Geel, who are supposed to have elite recruiters.
I must have missed our second flag since 2010. Does that mean we actually have 17?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back