Autopsy Round 2 = St Kilda 94-79 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

We won a flag - that’s a huge tick for the recruiting department. And then there’s our record of making final.
Not to mention that since 2010 we have won as many flags as Geel, who are supposed to have elite recruiters.
Building two separte flag winning lists whilst not missing finals very often is a really underrated achievement - especially as the years we've missed finals we didn't benefit with an early pick as we'd already traded it... Our recruiting has been good.

I feel like you are being very generous in your appraisal with our games record holder there.

Fly said in the press conference it's a major focus of their training skills and working on being clean. He is at a loss.

I think l'm being fair. Pendles hasn't set the world on fire, but l still believe he has been better than Sidey to this point of the season.

I think l'm being fair. Pendles hasn't set the world on fire, but l still believe he has been better than Sidey to this point of the season.

You’re right, but that’s still a pretty low bar

“Oh, he’s been better than someone who’s been deplorable at least”

can we have a new rule at the club that no future first round picks are traded unless its for an absolute star. nothing against Shultz, be he is a workhorse half forward flanker, forward pocket. yes he may get you 30 goals a year, but we gave one up for a 2nd rounder.
this could end up turning into a top ten pick, that is what you build your future on

The Sergeant hasn't been tearing it up, but in saying that our disposal into F50 has been atrocious and really hasn't given our forwards much to work with.
You look at Mihocek, in all honesty he has been as bad as what Johnson produced in the first two weeks, but is it Mihocek’s fault?
We bomb it in the F50 for some reason, and Mihocek is attempting to mark against 2 or 3 opposition defenders.
I mean are we bombing it into F50, hoping to bring the small forwards into the game, because if so, it definitely isn't working....

I rather we don’t play cox as a forward, he’s serviceable as a ruck but as a forward he’s ineffectual. Can’t think of one aerial contest he impacted I50, but his opponent sags off him and kills every high ball. Not sure what other options are available, we’re not blessed with talls, but it’s time to start thinking outside the box.
To be fair, Cox gets blocked, pushed under the ball, hand chopped week in week out without free being paid. Any other forward would have got many of those frees. In addition, he is usually double or treble tagged and we haven't usually put the ball to his advantage at all this season. He did take some pretty good grabs in the middle of the ground though.

Not sure I understand the argument about continuing our poor run of H & A form from the end of last year. Sure, we did play some poor games at the back end of the season - but our finals!!! The GF win was meticulously planned and executed with spirit and guts and skill and all those characteristics that we love about the best Collingwood teams.

While the spirit may have flagged, surely the rest is still there. And we still have the coach who coaxed that out of us.

Fly and his team have proven themselves to be smart and adaptable. Lets give them a chance to find a way out of this.

lol. They’re actually not easily fixed.
There was nothing to fix.

I was pointing out plays that were pure luck. Not fixable. Either goes your way or it doesn’t.
Last year it went our way more often than not, this year it’s not so far.
You can't rely on luck for two years. We made our own luck with our dare, clean ball handling and sheer trust between our players. Seem to have lost all of those traits this season.

Josh cracks in harder then Nick does, think you are off the mark there.

I love ND but he is half stepping a lot vs big physical midfield.
ND looked vulnerable last night to physicality. He was brushed aside too easily. His disposals weren't their usual damaging selves. Given how poorly his teammates played, there was nowhere to hide the deficiencies in his game.

Not sure I understand the argument about continuing our poor run of H & A form from the end of last year. Sure, we did play some poor games at the back end of the season - but our finals!!! The GF win was meticulously planned and executed with spirit and guts and skill and all those characteristics that we love about the best Collingwood teams.

While the spirit may have flagged, surely the rest is still there. And we still have the coach who coaxed that out of us.

Fly and his team have proven themselves to be smart and adaptable. Lets give them a chance to find a way out of this.
Agree - it’s a ridiculous argument quoting H&A form as if the finals didn’t count.
Serious straw clutching to make an argument.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love how people just LOL at posts yet can't come up with a counter argument.
If you have an opinion on someone's post, let's read the counter arguments...
I tend to use lol as a compliment, in that I found the post funny. You may need to check their context to determine the intention behind using them.

Where do you start? No really where? Fly talks about little things but it goes deeper than that.
The attitude stinks from the group, the lack of effort especially, if fly thinks that last night was more like us he’s lost the plot.
We are that far off it it’s not funny, there comes a time when the personal in the team just can’t do what’s required anymore.
All 3 teams we played have given us windburn going the other way.
We look old and slow, and there’s a few guys that have gone on one too many years.

Last year should have been it for Steele, Howe and WHE, you need to have the balls to make the call and we clearly don’t.
My biggest gripe is with the club not the team though.
Graeme Wright should have been told to go check out SEEK, his decision has singlehanded destabilised the club for the entire year.
Matty Lloyd was 100% correct in saying as much, now we have had to move our most important line coaches into other roles, and essentially bring in rookie coaches on match day, unsurprisingly in the areas we are trash at so far.
There is something seriously off down at the club, there is obviously a destabilising effect from the Wright decision, or moreover the club allowing it to happen, it’s ridiculous to be honest for our Footy boss is allowed to take off for an entire season.

There will be stages throughout this season where we will look really good again but I think our lack of KPP and an ageing midfield, will have us around the mark but I don't think we can it win again this year. I'm only saying this if we lose to Brissy. It's going to be really hard to win from 0 and 4

I agree, l have no idea what our form in the last 5 or 6 weeks of the 2023 H & A season has to do with a anything now!!
We qualified, won our finals, then won the premiership. A brilliant finals campaign, which achieved the ultimate.
This season’s issues is about the mental side of the game, and we are obviously not switched on, in games. The brain fades last night were unbelievable. An opposition that gets to score 12 goals from turnovers, you just don't really hear of that happening.
Our game day preparation during the week may look good, but on the actual ground the effort isn't there. There's no group buy in at the moment of what we're actually trying to achieve, or may want to achieve....

I think the answer might be you can't live forever on sunshine and lollipops. All that smiling and goodwill within our team might need to be replaced with some in-fighting and bickering.

If only boxing training wasn't banned by the AFL. Not sure who should be our Shane Strempel. Maybe Darcy? Fish rots from the head and all that.

I tend to use lol as a compliment, in that I found the post funny. You may need to check their context to determine the intention behind using them.

I agree with the LOL at the humorous posts, that's a given. But opinion based posts that just get a LOL, deserve a counter argument. LOL is an easy out, lol.....

See how many times you can pot Sidebottom this week. I reckon you have a couple of dozen in you.

I’d pot others who have been almost as bad but most of them aren’t players you can really drop.

Like, Moore has been pretty terrible too, but what do you do? Drop one of your only 200+cm key backs and cop even more goals than we already are? Dean is clearly not at the level yet and Murphy also doesn’t seem ready to come back. So we have no choice.

Even Moore was actually not all that bad overall outside two absolute howlers.

Sidebottom seems to actually be getting worse by the week. Which is fine. Father Time comes for all players. It’s technically not Steele’s fault the coaches don’t seem to want to drop or sub him.

Maybe he should pull a Gunston and say he’s not up for it right now?

It just becomes incredibly frustrating when players who are quite clearly out of form to the point of actively costing the side numerous goals, playing in a position we have ample coverage in, isn’t being dropped.

Where do you start? No really where? Fly talks about little things but it goes deeper than that.
The attitude stinks from the group, the lack of effort especially, if fly thinks that last night was more like us he’s lost the plot.
We are that far off it it’s not funny, there comes a time when the personal in the team just can’t do what’s required anymore.
All 3 teams we played have given us windburn going the other way.
We look old and slow, and there’s a few guys that have gone on one too many years.

Last year should have been it for Steele, Howe and WHE, you need to have the balls to make the call and we clearly don’t.
My biggest gripe is with the club not the team though.
Graeme Wright should have been told to go check out SEEK, his decision has singlehanded destabilised the club for the entire year.
Matty Lloyd was 100% correct in saying as much, now we have had to move our most important line coaches into other roles, and essentially bring in rookie coaches on match day, unsurprisingly in the areas we are trash at so far.
There is something seriously off down at the club, there is obviously a destabilising effect from the Wright decision, or moreover the club allowing it to happen, it’s ridiculous to be honest for our Footy boss is allowed to take off for an entire season.
GW has the architect of our flag so your condemnation is childish and unwarranted. Give me a refreshed GW and I’ll give a determined and rejuvenated man driving for another flag.

The Sergeant hasn't been tearing it up, but in saying that our disposal into F50 has been atrocious and really hasn't given our forwards much to work with.
You look at Mihocek, in all honesty he has been as bad as what Johnson produced in the first two weeks, but is it Mihocek’s fault?
We bomb it in the F50 for some reason, and Mihocek is attempting to mark against 2 or 3 opposition defenders.
I mean are we bombing it into F50, hoping to bring the small forwards into the game, because if so, it definitely isn't working....

this trading has zero to do with Mihocek or how we even played last night, it has everything to do with paying overs just to get the trade done.
we should have been strong enough to say it was our 2023 first rounder and sweetener, not a future first rounder

I’d pot others who have been almost as bad but most of them aren’t players you can really drop.

Like, Moore has been pretty terrible too, but what do you do? Drop one of your only 200+cm key backs and cop even more goals than we already are? Dean is clearly not at the level yet and Murphy also doesn’t seem ready to come back. So we have no choice.

Even Moore was actually not all that bad overall outside two absolute howlers.

Sidebottom seems to actually be getting worse by the week. Which is fine. Father Time comes for all players. It’s technically not Steele’s fault the coaches don’t seem to want to drop or sub him.

Maybe he should pull a Gunston and say he’s not up for it right now?

It just becomes incredibly frustrating when players who are quite clearly out of form to the point of actively costing the side numerous goals, playing in a position we have ample coverage in, isn’t being dropped.
You know I wasn't actually encouraging you to post more about Sidebottom?

The team looks so tired, and mentally not in it

The midfield unit are all significantly down, and a lot of running in each others way.

The only hope from here, is high training loads to peak at the second half of the season like Richmond 2019/2020 did and burst after the gather round bye. Its the only hope i have now, after remembering Richmond fans down in the jumps in the rd 8-10 periods then, and McRae and Leppitsch being part of that coaching group where they burst into big winning streaks to make top 4

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back