Essendon vow enough is enough

Remove this Banner Ad

After all the ‘nice guy’ football we’ve played over the last ten years it is good to see us having an attitude of contest intensity. We were right in this game and matched it with your mob for the most part. We fell short which is a testament to the Swans culture of doing this for 20 years. If you were in our shoes you’d be stoked with the change in intensity. There was nothing done by our players that had malicious intent as much as you’d all like to jump up and down about Wright’s marking attempt. He’s a gentle giant and it’s not in his make-up to deliberately take someone out. The vagaries of our game’s MRO rules vs instinct is where the issue is there. I find it all very amusing that Swans fans are getting their noses out of joint because we dared to be more physical. Comes across as being a bit sensitive.

I am not that mad about the Wright thing, I think it’s what happens when he’s been revved up to “go hard” for an “edge”, and in the moment made a stupid decision.

I thought the pressure was good at the beginning, but at the end of the day that “edge” got you a 30 point loss, and a player likely suspended for a month.

It’s cringey to publicly talk it up, just keep it internal, let your actions speak, then it doesn’t look so pathetic when you get soundly beaten.

But I get that you’re looking for signs of change, and that the players are actually playing for something, so I can see where you’re coming from.

Good luck 🤞

I am not that mad about the Wright thing, I think it’s what happens when he’s been revved up to “go hard” for an “edge”, and in the moment made a stupid decision.

I thought the pressure was good at the beginning, but at the end of the day that “edge” got you a 30 point loss, and a player likely suspended for a month.

It’s cringey to publicly talk it up, just keep it internal, let your actions speak, then it doesn’t look so pathetic when you get soundly beaten.

But I get that you’re looking for signs of change, and that the players are actually playing for something, so I can see where you’re coming from.

Good luck 🤞
If it is made as a public statement it puts the onus on the players to live up to that status. It’s a different angle and perhaps it wasn’t getting through enough internally as I’m sure the subject has been broached before. And there’s nothing wrong about being ‘revved up to go hard’. That’s as it should be and Wright should attack every marking contest with the same intensity. He saw Cunningham before Cunningham was ever going to see him and he braced to protect himself in a split second. That can happen. If he didn’t brace himself he might’ve been the one going off on a stretcher.

To quote myself from the Essendon board;

‘If they’re that worried about CTE then the laws of the game need to be re-jigged for these scenarios to alter the instinctiveness at the marking contest.

You can go one of two ways. You either outlaw all front-on contact regardless of having eyes on the ball. Or you instill right-of-way laws to those going back with the flight. If you do the latter, you’re encouraging reckless courage that is more likely to earn you a free kick and thus more likely to lead to injuries rather than prevent them. So, for me it has to be the first option.’

If it were drilled into players to avoid hitting front on it would make someone like Cunningham save himself from himself because he’d be instinctively thinking that I don’t want to give a free kick away here so I won’t charge back into oncoming traffic.

Good luck 🤞
Just a continuation of the same theme the Essendon Edge stuff by speaking publicly of the new approach being taken.

As you say just shut up and keep it in house

I love that ** is suffering, slowly simmering in its own lack of self-awareness & mediocrity.

That aside, I watched the swans game & it was a different ** performance (albeit for 1/2) - they brought an intensity for 60 minutes I’ve not seen from a ** side for a long time.

If I was a ** supporter, I’d see some light & hope you can find your way to the source.

Wright’s action crossed a line & will be deserving of 4-6 weeks, undoubtably.

If ** & Scott choose to play this game, they/he has to navigate a very fine line.

In the short term it will cost you games.

In the long term it will reshape your culture - god knows ** need it.
Are we that scary you can't say our name?
For a soft underbellied club, we've rattled a few.

One year Parker has a laugh because we are soft, next Papley has a cry because we put some bodies on bodies.

Gotta love Sydney

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott era North would often go the biff and get completely found out by the end of the game.

This Bombers outfit looks the same.
Don't you blokes praise your entire clubs change of heart in the 00's from going the biff?

Don't remember you winning them when you started being physical early on either

Are we that scary you can't say our name?
For a soft underbellied club, we've rattled a few.
They are saying your name.

After you were listed on the premiership ladder with an asterix next to your previous moniker from cheating and being found guilty of injecting a s**t load of prohibited drugs into your playing list, you are now known as *.

They are saying your name.

After you were listed on the premiership ladder with an asterix next to your previous moniker from cheating and being found guilty of injecting a s**t load of prohibited drugs into your playing list, you are now known as *.
Still says essendon on afl website

:think:

God some Carlton fans on here are insufferable...for the millionth time, you've done absolutely SFA. The temerity to have a crack at Essendon like your mob haven't been as pathetic for the best part of 30 years. SPARE ME!
Surprised the dedicated thread to us on their board isnt enough, but it spills into the main board ones too.

God some Carlton fans on here are insufferable...for the millionth time, you've done absolutely SFA. The temerity to have a crack at Essendon like your mob haven't been as pathetic for the best part of 30 years. SPARE ME!
Making finals is a mammoth achievement at IKON. Let them have their moment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back