Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly I think you're right
He'd also have to agree to be paid out though I think (ala Polec). $400,000k a year to play VFL, would be hard to turn down.
Think we're stuck with him. So if you're a believer, it's time to pray he finds something
I think the bloke needs to find some ticker. Scared of his own shadow.

Incredibly soft, makes Jaidyn Stephenson look like Glen Archer in comparison.

Bar a re-wiring of his brain, that can't be developed unfortunately.
Sort of bloke who could hide in a super disciplined, professional set up at the Swans. But gets badly exposed with us
Just a terrible decision to recruit on so many levels.

What’s the point of priority picks of the club keeps burning them on players like this.

I must admit I never was a huge watcher of Sydney and he didn’t play a lot last year at AFL level, but has he always been this shit frightened of contact?

I can only imagine as a teammate how disheartening it would be to play with a guy like this who gives up on a contest because he is scared of contact.

Just another contracted spud that will need to be delisted and paid out.

We have become the masters of offering long contracts to absolute potatoes. First CCJ and now this cat.
To be fair, Corr was the 1st potato and what a spud he has turned out to be...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just a terrible decision to recruit on so many levels.

What’s the point of priority picks of the club keeps burning them on players like this.

I must admit I never was a huge watcher of Sydney and he didn’t play a lot last year at AFL level, but has he always been this s**t frightened of contact?

I can only imagine as a teammate how disheartening it would be to play with a guy like this who gives up on a contest because he is scared of contact.
He squibbed at the sound of distant footsteps game after game. Got to a point where he really tried to force himself to be harder. There was improvement, but it did look forced.

Fact of the matter is the kid does not no how to read the game on the wing. He'd just keep peeling off he contest until he ended up in row ZZ, even when the ball was on the opposite wing.

If you want to get anything out of him he needs to be developed in the guts to help reel him in a bit and force him to put his head over it and harden up. He was drafted as a mid, and played well in there in the vfl.

He squibbed at the sound of distant footsteps game after game. Got to a point where he really tried to force himself to be harder. There was improvement, but it did look forced.

Fact of the matter is the kid does not no how to read the game on the wing. He'd just keep peeling off he contest until he ended up in row ZZ, even when the ball was on the opposite wing.

If you want to get anything out of him he needs to be developed in the guts to help reel him in a bit and force him to put his head over it and harden up. He was drafted as a mid, and played well in there in the vfl.
So in short he will be a massive bust.

You couldn't put him near a contest and expect what's required. Fair dinkum haven't seen a more consistently insipid effort as he showed today. He couldn't even clean handball receives under mediocre pressure.

You can't ask blokes for physical effort and then pick this lad to play. Can't do it.

You couldn't put him near a contest and expect what's required. Fair dinkum haven't seen a more consistently insipid effort as he showed today. He couldn't even clean handball receives under mediocre pressure.

You can't ask blokes for physical effort and then pick this lad to play. Can't do it.
Yeah there were times he'd get the ball in clear space and I'd cringe by the time he offloaded it feeling he'd get cleaned up. He tries too hard at the wrong times and makes the game difficult for himself, clearly doesn't have a basketball background.

Unfortunately it's very hard to teach someone to read the game and know when to chill out and when to crack in. There's a player in him, but you're not going to get it out of him sticking him on a wing for a year let alone 4. He seems the type who's passive and lives in his own head, but willing to work. Clarko needs to work some sort of magic and find a developmental sweet spot for him. We did get a handful of solid games out of him, he earnt his grand final spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there's a role there for a 25+ disposal classy inside mid. Wing is just not working because we can't win the ball often enough.

He literally played his junior football at Norwood, got drafted from Norwood. He of all the players out there tonight should’ve known how to play the ground.
He’s just a shit scared cat.

Whoever made the call to give him a 4 year contract should hand in their resignation.

He’s just a s**t scared cat.

Whoever made the call to give him a 4 year contract should hand in their resignation.
I watched him prior to being drafted and thought there was genuine talent. Had speed, was classy and could finish with a goal. He was physically very immature though. Haven’t seen him for a while to see if he’s bulked up at all, but I guess maybe the physicality of the AFL is too much?

There was one moment he went running into oncoming traffic to mark a ball and got hurt for it. Was shocked to see him make that effort, but copped a nasty hit.

The one time he decides to be brave, he gets hit - probably cause for him to recede further into his shell.

I watched him prior to being drafted and thought there was genuine talent. Had speed, was classy and could finish with a goal. He was physically very immature though. Haven’t seen him for a while to see if he’s bulked up at all, but I guess maybe the physicality of the AFL is too much?
You can actually see the fear and hesitation when he’s anywhere where there may be the chance of contact.

It’s actually must be embarrassing for him knowing that it’s on show for everyone.

I’m surprised he’s lasted this long in the system based on his efforts at North.

There was one moment he went running into oncoming traffic to mark a ball and got hurt for it. Was shocked to see him make that effort, but copped a nasty hit.

The one time he decides to be brave, he gets hit - probably cause for him to recede further into his shell.
He copped that hit because he went at the contest half hearted.

If he pushed back harder he may have come out of the contest better.

He had two very bad efforts in the five minutes beforehand so he was probably trying to make up for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back