Changes v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely we couldn't possibly justify omitting somebody from a team that just won by 113 points and leaving Butch in the SANFL after a 5 goal haul to bring in Renouf.

Hombsch would be a big loss if true, especially against West Coast's land of the giants.

In: P.Stewart, Butcher, Mitchell, Wingard
Out: Impey, Pittard, Cassisi, S.Gray

113 point win, 4 unforced changes. You're a weird bloke Ranga.

113 point win, 4 unforced changes. You're a weird bloke Ranga.
Very weird! Impey for Wingard, Pittard to go back and erradicate the turnovers and Brain fades. Ild like to play a three pronged forward line with Schulz, Westy and Butch creating chances for our plethora of Smalls to feast. Stewart for Match ups and insurance down back. Mitchell to replace Cassisi, bigger ground, older and slower legs, rest him this week to allow him to get through the year. Mitchell to be the aggressive and match winning change, the others are either obvious or insurance!

Agree - impey still learning - it will do him good to have game with magpies ,. Sam gray will need to build consistency to stay in after this week

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree - impey still learning - it will do him good to have game with magpies ,. Sam gray will need to build consistency to stay in after this week

He almost won a Magarey last year, that would indicate consistency wasn't too much of an issue

Very weird! Impey for Wingard, Pittard to go back and erradicate the turnovers and Brain fades. Ild like to play a three pronged forward line with Schulz, Westy and Butch creating chances for our plethora of Smalls to feast. Stewart for Match ups and insurance down back. Mitchell to replace Cassisi, bigger ground, older and slower legs, rest him this week to allow him to get through the year. Mitchell to be the aggressive and match winning change, the others are either obvious or insurance!
Mitchell hasn't been upgraded has he?

Bobby/Trengove to JJK/Resting Ruck

Wasn't O'Shea thrown up as the guy to take Darling? Anyway I thought Jonas would be the man for him.
Based on last weeks West Coast lineup (and assuming NicNat plays, and Cox starts in the ruck).

Jonas - Kennedy (no thanks)
Stewart - Darling (no thanks)
or O'Shea - Darling
Trengove - Naitinui
Carlile - Lycett

They've had similar forward structure, playing either Sinclair or Lycett, each week.

I much prefer:

Carlile - Kennedy
Jonas - Darling
Trengove - Naitinui
Clurey - Lycett

If Hombsch is out and given the tall options at WC we would almost certainly give Impey a rest and bring in Wingard as well as a taller defensive option e.g. Clurey, Stewart.

What is the extent of Hombsch's injury, will he miss the Geelong game as well?

Last edited:
Very comfortable if Clurey comes in for Hombsch. Before we would have been shitting ourselves if we lost a key defender. However now we have great depth. Even last year Clurey and Hombsch were not quite ready and when Trengove went down it cost us badly. This year we do not have that worry.

Matt Thomas won a Magery medal and he's no exemplar of consistency at the top level

Yes he is. Consistently bad is still consistent.

If the selectors replace like for like then Clurey is a certainty, he held Mitch Thorpe virtually scoreless last sunday, and he used the ball very well himself.

And he even got up the field and kicked a goal himself. You know your team has had a day out when your full back outscores the opposition full forward.

The only changes I can see are Wingard coming in and Hombsch being replaced if he isn't fit. Whether it's a case of Wingard for Hombsch or Wingard for Young/Impey and Butcher/Clurey for Hombsch we'll have to wait and see. There's good depth in the side though, you get the feeling that any of 6 or 7 players who played against Glenelg last week can come straight in and make an impact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back