Luke Breust vs Jeff Garlett

Breust vs Garlett

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Boring and wrong... it's not a good combination my friend...

Acting like you own the truth is boring dude. I don't have a 5 minute attention span, so current form is not my litmus. Breust has a few benchmarks to reach in my mind before you can claim he's gone past Jeffy on anything other than current form. I can see your inability to deal with this has rendered you with little more than banal one-liners.

Acting like you own the truth is boring dude. I don't have a 5 minute attention span, so current form is not my litmus. Breust has a few benchmarks to reach in my mind before you can claim he's gone past Jeffy on anything other than current form. I can see your inability to deal with this has rendered you with little more than banal one-liners.

Set the benchmarks chump and I will come knocking once Breuster has met or exceeded them for the duration that "Monkey king" determines is a suitable sample period...

Set the benchmarks chump and I will come knocking once Breuster has met or exceeded them for the duration that "Monkey king" determines is a suitable sample period...

To doubly address daannn277's earlier post ... I'm not really impressed that Breust gets a couple more handballs a game but fewer kicks overall. And an extra 1.3 of those possessions may be contested, but Garlett counters this small difference with his, at times, damaging outside run and carry; does anyone have the meters gained stats for these players?

Breust's one extra clearance every 5 games, while not meaningless, is pretty negligible; just so long as the similarly negligible difference in Garlett marking the ball more in the F50 is also noted.

The defensive game stuff, yeah Breust lays one more tackle every third game or so, Jeffy has more 1%'ers, which cover things like smothers; overall I'd say both have solid and reasonably comparable defensive games.

I have to give kudos to Breust for his DE%, but it's not as straight forward as just comparing figures. It should be noted that Jeffy kicks the ball 75% of the time compared to Breust who does it less than half of the time. Furthermore, -11% of Jeffys DE% came in kicking points (-6% Breust), and getting extra shots on goal isn't exactly a bad thing. It's in part due to this DE% that Breust currently matches, this round anyway, Jeffy's 2011 goal avg.

So we can see that as the Hawks have built their season, Breust has gone on to a reasonably comparable season to Jeffy's last year. The statistical variations above say more about game style than quality of player, so we get down to a small forwards bread and butter ... p/game goals and season totals; without having passed them, it would be hard to claim Breust having matched Garlett as a player let alone gone passed him. As for the duration, I'm a patient man; unless Breust blows away Garlett's 2011 output, I wouldn't be likely to pull the trigger on who is the better player until we see how it unfolds next season.

To doubly address daannn277's earlier post ... I'm not really impressed that Breust gets a couple more handballs a game but fewer kicks overall. And an extra 1.3 of those possessions may be contested, but Garlett counters this small difference with his, at times, damaging outside run and carry; does anyone have the meters gained stats for these players?

Breust's one extra clearance every 5 games, while not meaningless, is pretty negligible; just so long as the similarly negligible difference in Garlett marking the ball more in the F50 is also noted.

The defensive game stuff, yeah Breust lays one more tackle every third game or so, Jeffy has more 1%'ers, which cover things like smothers; overall I'd say both have solid and reasonably comparable defensive games.

I have to give kudos to Breust for his DE%, but it's not as straight forward as just comparing figures. It should be noted that Jeffy kicks the ball 75% of the time compared to Breust who does it less than half of the time. Furthermore, -11% of Jeffys DE% came in kicking points (-6% Breust), and getting extra shots on goal isn't exactly a bad thing. It's in part due to this DE% that Breust currently matches, this round anyway, Jeffy's 2011 goal avg.

So we can see that as the Hawks have built their season, Breust has gone on to a reasonably comparable season to Jeffy's last year. The statistical variations above say more about game style than quality of player, so we get down to a small forwards bread and butter ... p/game goals and season totals; without having passed them, it would be hard to claim Breust having matched Garlett as a player let alone gone passed him. As for the duration, I'm a patient man; unless Breust blows away Garlett's 2011 output, I wouldn't be likely to pull the trigger on who is the better player until we see how it unfolds next season.

In Jeff he trusts...

In Jeff he trusts...

And why not? Jeffy obviously has form issues this season and who knows, maybe that's gonna be his lot from now on. I have though, been witness enough to his talent to have a bit of faith in the lad. As I said, I don't want to detract from Breust in any way. I think he's been a gem of a find and his form this season demands comparison with Garlett's best. I just think you guys are pulling the trigger a little early on anointing Breust the better player for the reasons I've stated.

And why not? Jeffy obviously has form issues this season and who knows, maybe that's gonna his lot from now on. I have though, been witness enough tohis talent to have a bit of faith in the lad. As I said, I don't want to detract from Breust in any way. I think he's been a gem of a find and his form this season demands comparison with Garlett's best. I just think you guys are pulling the trigger a little early on anointing Breust the better player for the reasons I've stated.

You sound like a Blues supporter in need of an off season.. Chin up MK

bump...

Well there's no denying as to who the better player is.

Luke Breust is the inform small forward in the competition right now and is likely to be in the All-Australian squad.

Where is Garlett at?

bump...

Well there's no denying as to who the better player is.

Luke Breust is the inform small forward in the competition right now and is likely to be in the All-Australian squad.

Where is Garlett at?

Completely down on confidence.

Obviously as at this moment Breust is performing better, however to say absolutely that he is the better player is opportunistic at best at this point in time. Just last year they were close in all stats with Garlett averaging more goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Breust by a fair way and the gap is only going to get wider.

Even Monkey King who would argue that Rod Ashman was a better player than Lethal so biased is he, will bow down to Bruesty.

Breust is the best small forward in the comp.

On this years form I would have the following small/medium sized forwards comfortably ahead of Garlett:

Breust
Elliot
Winderlich
Lecras
Crameri
Thomas
Chapman
Gray
Betts
Rioli
Wingard
Smith
Dahlhaus

There are probably others.

Breust is the best small forward in the comp.

On this years form I would have the following small/medium sized forwards comfortably ahead of Garlett:

Breust
Elliot
Winderlich
Lecras
Crameri
Thomas
Chapman
Gray
Betts
Rioli
Wingard
Smith
Dahlhaus

There are probably others.

Luke Breust and Jamie Elliot are both the inform small forwards in the competition at the moment and I'd say they will both likely be the All-Australian small forwards for 2014 if they can maintain this form. :thumbsu:

Luke Breust and Jamie Elliot are both the inform small forwards in the competition at the moment and I'd say they will both likely be the All-Australian small forwards for 2014 if they can maintain this form. :thumbsu:

Always rated Breust. Also doesn't seem like a word-removed like most other small forwards.

Even Monkey King who would argue that Rod Ashman was a better player than Lethal so biased is he, will bow down to Bruesty.

A new username and a change from Platten to Matthews ... but aside from that, same old same old.

No, selecting Garlett back when I did was fair enough. Jeffy had the runs on the board and Breust had everything to prove. He's certainly gone a long way to proving himself since I last posted in this thread and is now one of the very best small forwards in the league; but still when we look at it, it's not like he was definitively better than Jeffy last season. This year Jeffy's out of form and down on confidence, while Breust is flying and playing far far better footy. So while I'd say Breust is easily the better player at the moment, I've never been one to make a call based on the last 5 minutes.

Breust wins this easily although I'd love to have Garlett at the pies. He's been disadvantaged a bit by a lack of decent Carlton forwards to crumb off and if given that opportunity I think he'd be very damaging. The way he plays would fit in perfectly at the Pies - he'd go straight to being the best crumbing forward at the club and would be roving ball of Cloke and Reid, instead of the bumb of the month at Carlton. He can also generate great forward pressure which would also fit in better with the Pies style more than almost every other club.

In short I'm a fan and he should be much better than he is.

Did you watch him tonight? Garlett kicked more goals than Breust did last year and has the better season high between them as well, despite all those challenges you've posted. Not sure why Jeffy's achievements get underrated in this thread.
Didn't watch tonights game. I'm not underrating his achievements when I say he could be a lot better I mean I think he should be in the top 2-3 small forwards in the comp, rather than the 5th -12th bracket which is about where he sits atm. The fact he has done reasonably well in a challenging environment just confirms to me what he could do in a good team.

At the moment? Breust definitely. Garlett a little rusty but played okay today.

another bf poll where the carlton player is easily better BUT supporters from all other clubs vote for the non-carlton player

predictable !!!!

Back