• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

scott_the_man

Club Legend
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Jack Billings or James Aish?
Which one would you prefer - the classy half forward or the composed midfielder?

Aish looks good but he's virtually been the same player since he was 16. I'm a little cynical of his upside given his lack of apparent improvement. Even then, at peak he's going to be a classy and composed midfielder; a real component of a winning team.

Billings just has that x-factor, that freakish ability that so few have. Even if there's a little more risk, what Billings could offer at peak with the role he plays is just so exciting. Has to be him.

Billings coming off a very limited base has shown star qualities.

I'm so looking forward to seeing how Jack goes once he (hopefully) starts playing in the midfield consistently. He's very good at winning his own ball in traffic, or off hands and has good composure and smarts and he looks like he's going to fill out really nicely into an excellent size and shape. He looks like he could be Dal Santo-like (but probably more inside) once he starts playing in the midfield, but with much, much more ability to push forward and take marks and/or kick goals than Dal has. We haven't really had anyone since possibly Nicky Winmar who was as comfortable forward as they were in the midfield, so that prospect is very exciting for us. Lots and lots of water to go under that bridge yet though of course.

He also seems to have a bit of an issue with set shots for goal from about 15m out that he needs to get over. I heard last year that in a big APS game in 2012 he missed about 3 late shots for goal from 15m out, to win the game for his team and so far this year he's missed one absolute sitter set shot from 15m out and another one that was still very easy from about 15m out on the weekend, so he needs to get that sorted. He also of course hit the post from about 3m out with his first kick in his first game, so that's 3 more goals he could so easily have, which could have taken him up to 10 goals from his 5 and a quarter games.

He's now had 16 scoring shots from those 5 and a quarter games though (in a generally very low scoring team), so that goes to show how many opportunities he gets, as he just knows where to go to get the footy. His tank is a long way off it at the moment though, having had knee troubles and not playing a lot of footy last year, so he's a bit behind the likes of Kelly and KK in that regard.

Haven't really seen a lot of Aish to be able to comment on him. He did arguably have his best game against us, but I guess he just sort of quietly accumulated those possies in that game, as I didn't particularly notice him a lot on the night. He's obvioulsly very, very good for his age though, to be able to just look so comfortable at the level when getting that much of the ball.

Last edited:
At the end of their careers, definitely Billings. But hopefully we get Aish at the end of 2015.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably Billings just due to versatility. Is going to be a real game winner either mid or forward. Take nothing away from Aish, the way he's slotted in seamlessly and his instant composure is giving me Simon Black flashbacks. You're either getting a 25 possessions 5 goals player or a 40 and 12 clearances player, either way you gotta be bloody happy.

Back