Lions are "the League's Strategic Disaster"

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you turn green and your pants mysteriously shred? or just the latter. :D

It's a little bit more ribald than that.

If only we had a dollar for every time Tairy's awoken with his pants mysteriously shredded.

I've told you they aren't shredded, it's just velcro for quick removal!!

The Victorian Footy Mafia (Eddie and co) are the NSW Labor Right. No matter who is the leader, they are the power behind the throne. And, just like Federal Labor, nothing is really ever going to get solved until someone has the balls to take on the power brokers.

He says while Brisbane coach Justin Leppitsch is well known in AFL circles, the Lions cannot rely on him to fill the Gabba each week. “Unless you are a staunch AFL supporter, you haven’t got too many reason to go to the Lions,’’ he said.“They have no Jonathan Brown, there is not a lot to talk about. “There is a cast of young kids out there doing their best but they are out of their league at the moment, they will get better but week in-week out that is not a story, you get sick of talking about it. “There are moments of brilliance from their young kids, you just have to hope some of them can develop quickly and step-up to the plate. “Because there is no wow factor there.”

Ouch

Unfortunately, its hard to disagree.

Ouch

Unfortunately, its hard to disagree.
Recent Gabba crowds certainly seem to reinforce the point:

Rd 13 (GWS): 12,700
Rd 15 (North): 15,862
Rd 17 (WC): 13,610

IIRC we're on track to hit crowd levels unseen since '98. :(

Not helped of course by North and GWS being two of the most poorly supported clubs in the country. And WCE are just making up the numbers after (another) woefully underachieving season.

This week we have the Suns and (hopefully) a bit of local rivalry will help get a reasonable crowd in, especially as we have the added incentive of raining on their finals hopes parade. Then it all fades out to a damp squib with another two "interstate" teams in Adelaide and Freo to round out our "home" matches.

When you look at the draw or fixture the AFL has lumbered us with , is it really all that surprising that crowds are not only down but also the atmosphere at our home games is almost funereal?

Next year, we need a serious injection of Gabba games against Victorian "big" clubs. Another "fixture" like this season will only serve to reinforce our irrelevancy in the AFL

Next year, we need a serious injection of Gabba games against Victorian "big" clubs. Another "fixture" like this season will only serve to reinforce our irrelevancy in the AFL

It would be nice if some of those anomalies in the draws are remedied too e.g. Hawthorn actually playing in Brisbane for a change (their last visit being in 2008) or even Port Adelaide (2011).

This week we have the Suns and (hopefully) a bit of local rivalry will help get a reasonable crowd in, especially as we have the added incentive of raining on their finals hopes parade.
It is another auskick reward game as well. Lots of free tickets will artificially boost numbers, but hopefully help in the long-run.

Has been pretty predictable all season given our form. Must be a huge worry for us and should be a huge worry for the AFL if they've taken notice.

Has been pretty predictable all season given our form. Must be a huge worry for us and should be a huge worry for the AFL if they've taken notice.
Scary thing is, short of a miracle they're likely to drop further next year.

First it was Ash McGrath's cousin, and now the marketing company that brought us the Brisbane Fitness Expo!

Never let it be said that Andrew Hamilton doesn't have extensive networks in the Australian sporting world.

THE Lions have been dealt a devastating blow in the battle of the codes by NRL supercoach Wayne Bennett’s return to the Broncos, according to a leading sports marketing expert.
The managing director of Major League Marketing Jason Greenhalgh predicts Bennett’s towering presence in the Brisbane marketplace will hit the Lions and Reds hard unless they can find a story that captures the attention of fans and potential sponsors alike and suggested AFL legend Leigh Matthews took a more public role with the club.
Greenhalgh ranks the Lions at the bottom of Brisbane’s four football teams for marketability and said although they had a lot of young talent that gave hope for a bright future they risked a slipping temporarily off the radar.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/wa...ueensland-market/story-fndv8d6r-1226997864114

Jason Greenhalghs face has been dealt a devastating blow!

Seriously, who crossed the path of a black cat while walking under a ladder and smashing a mirror?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although it makes sense (Bennett stealing more limelight) I do question whether his return will really impact us heavily.
Those crowd numbers pre-exist without his help and I'm not convinced a lot will change either way. I guess we should see Hammo's article here as a positive (at least it's publicity).

Just by the by, of those crowds quoted, the real head scratcher is the WC game. Big club, fine weather, reasonable chance of a win. Very disappointing.

I have always been of the opinion that a least a third of the crowd at most Gabba games are opposition supporters. Unfortunately when we play teams who have little or no support in Queensland(Roos, Giants, Eagles, Dockers) the crowds will be very small. It is going to take many years for that to change.

While I'm not sure the Bennett factor is all that relevant to the Lions, it is the case though that we don't have a player or a coach with presence in the Brisbane sports media market.

If Leppa is here for the long haul, he's got the type of personality that the media will like - he's a funny bloke who is quite open. But he needs some wins first.

Lethal obviously brings gravitas and respect but he's not going on FM radio to drum up interest like Aker and Browny did.

Rich seems to be the focal point of a lot of the marketing but he's not the right sort of personality to really promote us. Same with Adcock who is pretty vanilla in a lot of respects.

Rocky has some of what it takes but probably doesn't have a recognition factor away from football circles.

Hanley is someone that I reckon the club could use more/better.

In reality, that kind of "personality" is probably going to be built on a foundation of success. None of our current players have any sort of team/individual success that would hold weight in Brisbane. Unless we can somehow land a big fish as a trade, then chances are the next big Brisbane Lions "personality" won't appear for a while yet.

Just another thing for the club to battle.

It is hard to produce a big name player when the state doesnt care about the sport they play. I think Rocky is the one, future captain, top fantasy player, probably our best player, performing lots more in media this year, could win a Brownlow if he keeps his hands to himself.

I think the club is actually trying to raise his profile a bit. Adcock isnt doing all the afl360 and game day spots, Rocky is, so I think it is something the club is looking to build.

Hopefully our new CEO will be at least a little vocal with the challenges he faces, along with Lethal providing some bits here and there. Overall we need to be relevant again on field before anyone takes notice of us off it in Brisbane. If we can keep our list together we will get there.

Although it makes sense (Bennett stealing more limelight) I do question whether his return will really impact us heavily.
Those crowd numbers pre-exist without his help and I'm not convinced a lot will change either way. I guess we should see Hammo's article here as a positive (at least it's publicity).

Just by the by, of those crowds quoted, the real head scratcher is the WC game. Big club, fine weather, reasonable chance of a win. Very disappointing.
To be clear, I was agreeing with the quoted bit of the article addressing Leppa's lack of media pull just now.

I think the Bennett limelight factor mentioned is overblown.

As for the crowds, 15k to Brown's farewell was a ******* disgrace.

Bottoming out was always gonna make a very bad situation even worse. It's the perfect storm ATM. We have plenty of marketable players like Rocky, Rich, Hanley, Zorko, etc. but it means SFA when the team is playing pathetically.

To be clear, I was agreeing with the quoted bit of the article addressing Leppa's lack of media pull just now.

I think the Bennett limelight factor mentioned is overblown.

I agree.
But I would argue that unlike Bennett/Broncos, who our coach is would make very little difference.
Similarly, the coach's ability to impact interest and ticket sales at the Gabba would be miniscule.
Bennett may generate some added interest in the Broncos, but none of that will influence us.
He will certainly gain some limelight, but we are already in the dark anyway, so won't be stealing anything from the Lions.
This applies now, before and into the future.
Maybe a little over-simplistic, but I reckon only 3 things will improve/affect our situation;
  • (Hopefully) The change to the jumper,
  • Change to management and administration and,
  • On field success.
None of these will be driven or disrupted by outside influences.
Sexy personalities and respected football profiles, aren't going to do it alone.

Hanley is someone that I reckon the club could use more/better.

Probably even harder to do nowadays with the kind of coverage the game gets but I could see Hanley being like Aker was in the press (without the awful faux pas) in being the s**t stirrer who talks the talk & walks the walk. He's someone who is pretty relaxed in front of the camera and can say the right things with a good amount of wit, like his comments about signing the 5 year deal and saying "it could either be a bargain for the Lions or I become a s**t player". Also being someone who lives in another country it kinda makes you feel like you can do what you want because you'll probably return home at the end of your career and leave it all behind.

Unfortunately I think weather probably had more to do with this than most people give credit too. Unfortunately I think (from a Melb person) this was what caused people to stay away. Had it been a clear night there would of been a lot more at the stadium.

Probably even harder to do nowadays with the kind of coverage the game gets but I could see Hanley being like Aker was in the press (without the awful faux pas) in being the s**t stirrer who talks the talk & walks the walk. He's someone who is pretty relaxed in front of the camera and can say the right things with a good amount of wit, like his comments about signing the 5 year deal and saying "it could either be a bargain for the Lions or I become a s**t player". Also being someone who lives in another country it kinda makes you feel like you can do what you want because you'll probably return home at the end of your career and leave it all behind.

I agree with this, and even beyond Hanley I think we're reasonably well stocked for guys who can be funny and genuine (Rocky and Zorko do alright etc), and I think Lewy Taylor might have a bit of that about him. What we're missing, I reckon, is someone with gravitas. Browny was unusual in having both qualities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back