Smart Footballs

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 5, 2013
Perth , WA
AFL Club
Carlton
An Article on the AFL website talks about "Smart" Footballs that could become the official ball one day.

This is my Favourite part of the article

"Other than for coaching and media purposes, it could also be used for things like score reviews.

"At the moment we're only looking at a chip that's a positional locator.

"But the possibility is that in the future you could have some sort of motion sensor, which might assist with things like the ball hitting the post or being touched."

It would be an awesome fix! It would also reduce the time score reviews take.

What does big footy think?

Surely this is something that'd be pretty easy to implement with technology how it is these days, article makes it seem a bit farfetched
You would think so. but then again, try getting a motion sensor/gps inside the ball and keep it protected enough to Survive hundreds of kicks and handballs along with bounces at stoppages and in general play. Would also need to keep the ball roughly the same weight.
Should Defenatly be getting funded and pushed hard by the AFL IMO.

May help the situation with Port v Melbourne last weekend...apparently a few of the balls were flat and contributed to some awful shanks. (Note: can't believe this would occur in today's modern game - unless it was a bad batch with slow leaks not immediately apparent when they were inflated prior to the game).

I think with some players, we're already there :p

betts-and-robbo1.jpg

this is a great idea but why stop there. they should put a camera in the ball too and maybe a little micriophone.

I've been saying this for some time now. Have a GPS sensor IN the ball, and perhaps some new-fandangled techno coating on the ball, and external sensors on the goal posts and around the ground feeding real time information to the umpires.

You'd instantly know whether or not the ball hit the post, and distance of kicks would be instantly measured too. Just the umpire carrying the ball would be able to tell him an accurate 50m penalty. You'd know exactly how far a player ran before bouncing the ball.

I'm not sure if the technology is currently available, but it shouldn't be too far away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hmm smart footballs, smart footballers, smart coaches, smart goal posts, smart line drawers, ie those who define the fifty metres, smart umpires, smart fans, smart parents, smart siblings, smart friends, smart grass, ... now this is getting silly..

what they should do is put a magnet in the ball and make the goal posts magnetic so the ball will get stuck to the post if it hits it. i'm a ******* genius

I honestly read the title and thought it meant that there was a company called "Smart" that were manufacturing footies and Sherrin's contract was up for review.

People have been talking about this for at least a decade. It's likely viable now but considering the AFL I wouldn't expect to see any real innovation for another ten years.

I can foresee the AFL in 5 years time. Jeremy Cameron has a kick after the siren to win the Grand Final. He kicks long, it's drifting to the right. Did it scrap the post? The Suns players are calling for a review.

Lets go to motion tracker. Oh dear! What has the video ref done? He's tracking the wrong ball! That ball is sitting in the bucket under the goals. What a farce! The AFL have done it again.

Why cant we keep it the same football I've been in love with afl for 61 years and just keep it the same please I don't like everything changes

Why cant we keep it the same football I've been in love with afl for 61 years and just keep it the same please I don't like everything changes
I completely agree with that , But I also feel this change would be a good one . It could be used to clarify so many other rules and stop the need to keep changing interpretations and goal line technology.

Potentially a great idea. I don't like changing something for the sake of changing it but could be used to detect if the ball hit the post or a player's hand which is pretty neat.

I've been saying this for some time now. Have a GPS sensor IN the ball, and perhaps some new-fandangled techno coating on the ball, and external sensors on the goal posts and around the ground feeding real time information to the umpires.

You'd instantly know whether or not the ball hit the post, and distance of kicks would be instantly measured too. Just the umpire carrying the ball would be able to tell him an accurate 50m penalty. You'd know exactly how far a player ran before bouncing the ball.

I'm not sure if the technology is currently available, but it shouldn't be too far away.

Or we could just use the same technology that already works in soccer...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back