Football Jargon, Phrases You Can’t Stand

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah hate deee-fence and by extension offense, (it's attack).

It's fading out now but dukes for hands, it's Yank boxing slang for fists not hands. No one marks the ball with their clench fists. Idiots trying to sound old-timey.

Also "you just sense", nah I don't, and usually it's after something has become obvious.

The use of singular “stoppage” and “clearance” when it should be plural

The lack of the word “if” when proposing any sort of hypothetical, e.g. “We get a key forward, we make the finals”. Not the best example that I could come with, but you get the idea. It’s rampant on this forum.

When an ex-AFL player goes on a reality TV show and the promos call said player an "AFL superstar" no matter how bog average they were.

Your life which will be much better when you come to terms with the fact that all media does this, about any one who has had any sort of public profile, no matter how marginal

“Neighbours STAR dies in horrific accident” (the person had three lines of dialogue in one episode)

Doesn’t make it right, just easy to ignore

I've heard commentators say "play with freeness" rather than "play with freedom." That's literally a grammatical mistake that an 8 year old would make.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anything thats been americanised. For example calling the home and away season the "regular season".

"still in it"...
After kicking a goal to bring the margin down to 87 points at the 20 minute mark of the third quarter.

"boonana". Classic demonstration that clearly no one is telling the insular little clique of football broadcasters that if you repeat an in-joke each and every single game, several times a game, for over a decade, that tends to deaden it's humorous effect.
I haven't heard it actually referred to as a 'banana kick' in about 15 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back