List Mgmt. 2014 trade/draft/FA/delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be interested to see who people think will not be on the list after the trading period, obviously the 2 out of contract 2012 draftees O'Rourke and Jaksch spring to mind and from looking at the list 1 of the ruckman may also be
I would like Jaksch to stay with Mohr out with an ACL think he looks to be stronger and more developed than Frost and Corr, Haven't seen any of McCarthy but guessing being a first year player he would be behind those listed and would not want him thrown in at the deepend with an inexperienced defence
Looking at the contract list others are Whiley, Downie, Schulz, and the older players Hunt, Gilham and Addison
Hunt is obviously looking at NFL
Gilham Back to Vic unless he is a possibility for a coaching job with the club
Addison Similar role to Sam Reid?
With Whiley being a NSW player i would hope the Club and player can agree to another contract
Any chance Downie hangs around with 4 other full time rucks and Boyd/Patton having spells

Downie is one of those long term project players. If he was to move to another club his prospects would be... a long term project player. Might as well learn the trade here as anywhere else.

I would imagine Schulz will be delisted (although he may have something on someone at the club given he hung on last year - photos of farm animal perhaps)

I hope that Whiley will be given more, otherwise I see another Miles happening. He'll go elsewhere and maybe get a crack and probably do well.

Agree that Hunt and Gilham are gone and like you, I see Addison in that Sam Reid, development coach/NEAFL player role as well.

That's 3 off the list without breaking a sweat and a complete clean slate on rookie positions (and allowing us to keep Whiley and Downie).

Downie is one of those long term project players. If he was to move to another club his prospects would be... a long term project player. Might as well learn the trade here as anywhere else.

I would imagine Schulz will be delisted (although he may have something on someone at the club given he hung on last year - photos of farm animal perhaps)

I hope that Whiley will be given more, otherwise I see another Miles happening. He'll go elsewhere and maybe get a crack and probably do well.

Agree that Hunt and Gilham are gone and like you, I see Addison in that Sam Reid, development coach/NEAFL player role as well.

That's 3 off the list without breaking a sweat and a complete clean slate on rookie positions (and allowing us to keep Whiley and Downie).
Any chance we take on 2 or more of the academy kids

I think Schulz was kept for sentimental reasons being our very first signing.
Downie is a project and I don't think any club would chase him.
Whiley is miles all over again, too good for neafl but can't crack the seniors. Someone will get a bargain with him.
Hunt to the nfl, thanks and good luck mate!
Addison being a nsw boy may get a community role with the club and play for our neafl team.
Gilham seems to be respected within the club and provides leadership, I can see him being given a development coaching position.
Jaksch and o'rourke are the trade gold. Jaksch is getting regular games and performing well as a swing man. Most certainly in contract talks and has said himself that he wants to stay.
O'rourke seems like he may be the one lost this year but to be honest we have cover for him.
Personally I would keep everyone cuz I love my giants!

I think Jaksch and O'Rourke will go and I think we may even move on Sumner as well as Whiley. I think Buntine is really well regarded in the group and is a team leader so even though he is yet to break through they will try to keep him. The other one I think will be shopped is Giles who would have some serious currency with a number of clubs but probably a limited future with us with all our good young talls and current rucks.

Reports are that we are right into Petracca and as we may not finish bottom we may have to do a pick/player swap to ensure we get him. To be frank he and possibly Brayshaw are the only high end kids we should be considering in the draft. I sincerely hope we don't waste a high pick on a defender. Trade one in instead if we must.

Just saw an apt and fitting internet meme in my facebook stream...

Rumours are carried by haters,
spread by fools, and
accepted by idiots.

Now what was Chanel 9 in Adelaide going on about with Jeremy Cameron going to the Crows?

When Jezza re-signs we will have to put up with Patton going to North Melbourne and Boyd going to Carlton!!

It's annoying but part of the business I guess.

I personally think we will keep most of the lads together as they have the chance to achieve something together which is truly unique.

Given that sumner was given such a long contract that seems like the club wants to invest long term into him. Can't see him being shopped at this point and tbh can't see clubs chasing either.

Nothing wrong with having a few projects otherwise you get too many disgruntled players that should be in the firsts

Yeah but don't forget Tyson was also contracted briefly before he was traded. It would not surprise me if a couple of contracted blokes are given the option to move on. That said I really liked Sumner's game early doors. He is a tenacious little bugger and chases hard in defence. Just not sure where he fits in our team??

Reading Pattons interview after the rising start nomination was interesting. He alludes to the acquisition of older bodies >

"I think definitely next year – maybe getting a few older guys on the list – I think next year's going to be a big jump (forward) again.

Now i have stated previously that i wanted GWS to stick with the talent pool it has got and allow them to develop but it seemed that the club has other ideas. Players on the fringe such as jaksch have been widely talked up on here as players that may go but i would hope we got higher draft picks for them rather than players because they will only attract fringe players and what use would another clubs fringe player be?

This leads me to my point.. if the club is chasing another big name established body ie Mummy or Shaw during this trade period we will have to trade something good to get something good. Maybe a boyd for griffin to the dogs for example.

The quote might be nothing but for me it opens up all kinds of trade scenarios...

Mate I doubt we would give an 18yo number 1 draft pick for a very good player who is 29 next year and arguably past his best.

We can get good value for players like Jaksch (if we trade him) as key position talls are like hens teeth and not every club will be able to get what they want via the draft. Even blokes like O'Rouke although not worth a first round pick will be able to get us something decent if packaged up with picks.

Reading Pattons interview after the rising start nomination was interesting. He alludes to the acquisition of older bodies >

"I think definitely next year – maybe getting a few older guys on the list – I think next year's going to be a big jump (forward) again.

Now i have stated previously that i wanted GWS to stick with the talent pool it has got and allow them to develop but it seemed that the club has other ideas. Players on the fringe such as jaksch have been widely talked up on here as players that may go but i would hope we got higher draft picks for them rather than players because they will only attract fringe players and what use would another clubs fringe player be?

This leads me to my point.. if the club is chasing another big name established body ie Mummy or Shaw during this trade period we will have to trade something good to get something good. Maybe a boyd for griffin to the dogs for example.

The quote might be nothing but for me it opens up all kinds of trade scenarios...
What kind of player do you guys think SOS and Cameron will target? A lot of talk being bandied around about Jaksch or Boyd being targeted (heavily) by the Blues... what kind of player (save for the obvious and ungettable Gibbs, Murph, Kreuz etc) would GWS take/want in a deal?

Names that may be offered/considered in a deal (from Carlton's view):

Andrew Walker
Jeffy Garlett
Robbie Warnock
Kane Lucas
Mitch Robinson
Brock McLean

Whether GWS even pick up the phone is another question all together, and it would seem most likely that any deal involving Boyd would need our first (~6) for it be considered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What kind of player do you guys think SOS and Cameron will target? A lot of talk being bandied around about Jaksch or Boyd being targeted (heavily) by the Blues... what kind of player (save for the obvious and ungettable Gibbs, Murph, Kreuz etc) would GWS take/want in a deal?

Andrew Walker
Jeffy Garlett
Robbie Warnock
Kane Lucas
Mitch Robinson
Brock McLean

Whether GWS even pick up the phone is another question all together, and it would seem most likely that any deal involving Boyd would need our first (~6) for it be considered.

I'm not the list manager but would doubt we would want any of those players and realistically you guys need to punt most of them as they are list cloggers. We probably need a big bodied defender (maybe Frawley) , a tall midfielder (Petracca via draft) and a smart Eddie Betts type small forward (which Garlett is but not good enough IMHO). I think we need to bring in some elite kickers who can deliver the ball to our forwards as the connection between our midfielders to our forwards often lets us down (maybe a Duggan from the draft).

You guys should be willing to put up the likes of your so called "ungettable" players or our blokes will remain "ungettable" for you too. Not being smart but the reality is you guys are a mile away from a flag as your current list is not good enough so you probably need to take stock and move some of your better players to bring in some elite youth. It's the only way you will get something.

Last edited:

Andrew Walker
Jeffy Garlett
Robbie Warnock
Kane Lucas
Mitch Robinson
Brock McLean

Whether GWS even pick up the phone is another question all together, and it would seem most likely that any deal involving Boyd would need our first (~6) for it be considered.[/QUOTE

Im not sure the club would be interested in anyone other than maybe walker from that list. I think the club may want a big bodied midfielder, or an established defender...perhaps a small forward (unlikely on the last as we already have a few and have plenty of mids that can push up)

That said...the deal regarding jaksch campared to the deal regarding Boyd is vastly different. Im not sure carlton would be on our shopping list either

I'm not the list manager but would doubt we would want any of those players and realistically you guys need to punt most of them as they are list cloggers. We probably need a big bodied defender (maybe Frawley) , a tall midfielder (Petracca via draft) and a smart Eddie Betts type small forward (which Garlett is but not good enough IMHO). I think we need to bring in some elite kickers who can deliver the ball to our forwards as the connection between our midfielders to our forwards often lets us down (maybe a Duggan from the draft).

You guys should be willing to put up the likes of your so called "ungettable" players or our blokes will remain "ungettable" for you too. Not being smart but the reality is you guys are a mile away from a flag as your current list is not good enough so you probably need to take stock and move some of your better players to bring in some elite youth. It's the only way you will get something.
Totally agree about the "ungetables" To many GWS fans boyd patton and co are "ungettables" but are regularly discussed on here. I also agree Carlton are light years away from a flag so should consider offers for their guns if it means serious talent to fill holes in the list

Not meaning any disrespect or trying to create argument - I'll be the first to admit we're not exactly closing in on a flag. Agree that we'll have to give up something very good to get one of those big, highly rated forwards. I do, however think GWS may need to lower their expectations in the coming years if these guys aren't sown up/on-traded for a fair price soon given you can't play them all. Just a matter of time before there are several guys on the fringe who will ask to leave for more opportunity - again, a statement not meant to incite anything... just fact.

I'll bite, since it was one of your board that threw the first jab. He was bought under the currently still ridiculously imbalanced rules the AFL creates at will to pursue its agenda. GWS paid a ridiculous amount of money to get the best talent (and he is top grade) and the afl basically hamstrung our club from keeping him by unleashing your salary cap. Are we bitter? Hells yeah. Is it what it is? Of course. Does Macrae ease the pain? He's a ripper. But making claim that the dogs made a mistake letting him go is pure political BS afl spin. We ran the numbers. GWS had $2million more than we ever could and that salary cap was gifted for years into the future. And so you bought him. And so would any start up franchise with an unlimited purse. Good luck with your flag. Hope they inscribe "proudly purchased by the Australian Football League on behalf of the 16 people who follow the AFL in Western Sydney" on the side of it :). Our team has played by the rules and fought for a flag for decades. Ours will mean something. I suspect yours will collect dust in a cupboard somewhere.
So your excuse before we came along?

Not meaning any disrespect or trying to create argument - I'll be the first to admit we're not exactly closing in on a flag. Agree that we'll have to give up something very good to get one of those big, highly rated forwards. I do, however think GWS may need to lower their expectations in the coming years if these guys aren't sown up/on-traded for a fair price soon given you can't play them all. Just a matter of time before there are several guys on the fringe who will ask to leave for more opportunity - again, a statement not meant to incite anything... just fact.

We're ok with trading on the guys on the fringe - the likes of Darley, Edwards, Aylett, Miles and Hombsch have all found homes elsewhere. Tyson was probably the only required player who was signed that we've traded. Adams walked out. Whiley, Jaksch, JOR and the likes have all been discussed and we're fairly realistic (as much as any board) about what we'll get for those guys, i.e. they're not going to break anyone's bank - probably a mid to late first rounder for the latter two, or a significant pick upgrade.

But when people are talking about the likes of Boyd and Patton and Shiel, nah, no expectation lowering needed on them. We don't want to talk about trading them (imagine someone hopping on to your board and asking what they need to get Murphy and then lowballing it. Now imagine them doing it three times a week since the existance of your team) but find it laughable when it's average or worse players offered up, because their players are untouchable - unlike our's o_O. Those guys we would expect the world because they really are showing sides of being as good as expected.

We're ok with trading on the guys on the fringe - the likes of Darley, Edwards, Aylett, Miles and Hombsch have all found homes elsewhere. Tyson was probably the only required player who was signed that we've traded. Adams walked out. Whiley, Jaksch, JOR and the likes have all been discussed and we're fairly realistic (as much as any board) about what we'll get for those guys, i.e. they're not going to break anyone's bank - probably a mid to late first rounder for the latter two, or a significant pick upgrade.

But when people are talking about the likes of Boyd and Patton and Shiel, nah, no expectation lowering needed on them. We don't want to talk about trading them (imagine someone hopping on to your board and asking what they need to get Murphy and then lowballing it. Now imagine them doing it three times a week since the existance of your team) but find it laughable when it's average or worse players offered up, because their players are untouchable - unlike our's o_O. Those guys we would expect the world because they really are showing sides of being as good as expected.
Yeah fair call... Reckon the only truly 'gettable' guys are the ones listed there - JOR, Jaksch, Whiley. If I were in the Blues camp, I'd definitely be making a play for the likes of Jaksch+JOR as a bundle for a player/2nd rounder and seeing if something can be agreed upon. But who really knows what's going on behind the scenes...

Will be an interesting month, October.

Good luck with your flag. Hope they inscribe "proudly purchased by the Australian Football League on behalf of the 16 people who follow the AFL in Western Sydney" on the side of it :). Our team has played by the rules and fought for a flag for decades. Ours will mean something. I suspect yours will collect dust in a cupboard somewhere.

Haven't played very well, 1 flag since 1925!! Maybe you should try a new strategy :D

Good luck with your flag. Hope they inscribe "proudly purchased by the Australian Football League on behalf of the 16 people who follow the AFL in Western Sydney" on the side of it .

Must not feed the trolls

Must not feed the trolls

Must not feed the trolls

Oh f**k it - piss off idiot.

Still no word on jaksch re-signing guys? How good do you guys think he can be? Interesting talent but looks like he might just take a bit longer to develop than some of the other kids you have.

He has ample talent when given opportunity, unfortunately he is in a development queue, and due to where we have been for the last couple of years when he gets his opportunities he isn't afforded the same on-field protection a young player at another club would be in that development cycle..

Personally I think he will be at least as good as Lachie Henderson at the same age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back