Past #23: Kieran Harper - delisted by the club (29/10) - will miss '16 VAFA season, surgery on ankle

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to get a little more insight into where he is at, although it's anyone's guess what the off-field issues have been. Sounds like he has a bit of hunger so best to give him the benefit of the doubt and see what happens with a full preseason and career revival in 2015.

Two things stand out in that article:
1-inconsitency keeps Harper out of the 1's yet we have a plethora of players in the 1's playing inconsistent footy.

2-players have to go and seek feedback from the coaches!! WTF. No wonder the 1's are so up and down, they probably not getting any feedback from Wild Brad Scotts except: you're doing fine, just as we expected.

The last two years do not sound like they've been an enjoyable time in Kieran's life. Seems every quote that comes from him has been tinged with a bit more sadness than you get from your average AFL player. Has been working so hard for so long with little to show for it, a break through for him would be massive for Harps and the club.

I read that as being over and above the standard feedback coaches give each player.
They should be having weekly 1 on 1's with a line coach, weekly forwards/mids/defence with relevant coaches plus constant feedback during training. There should be no need for seeking further feedback, the coaches should be telling him what he's doing well, and what needs addressing.

michael-secret-stuff.jpg

Drink it.

I find it astounding that he has to 'seek out' feedback.

An absolute indictment on the club if that is the case.

Good to get a little more insight into where he is at, although it's anyone's guess what the off-field issues have been. Sounds like he has a bit of hunger so best to give him the benefit of the doubt and see what happens with a full preseason and career revival in 2015.
Sounds like general confidence in life rather than any specific issue. In other words, if you're not confident overall, you're not going to be in the cut-throat world that is AFL footy.

Sounds like general confidence in life rather than any specific issue. In other words, if you're not confident overall, you're not going to be in the cut-throat world that is AFL footy.
Yes, I read it the same way. While we have just been following his rehab and footy, he has clearly been working through what seems to be a bigger hurdle. His reference to the coaches and players showing confidence in him to take the game on and how important that has been to him is a sign of the barriers he has been working through personally. The article was a good reminder to us all not to get too caught up in the game of looking at footballers as mechanical commodities to measure through a pretty narrow frame. I'm probably even worse in this regard being overseas and just having game day footage and the wisdom of Big Footy to build a thesis on. Regardless of whether Harps breaks through again, I think this is a useful 'give the kid a break' piece.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the most interesting part of it was that he's described as a shy and non-confrontational guy, most anybody who plays any sport and has pace, flare, x-factor, they're usually the show ponies on and off the field. He seems the exact opposite and maybe that's what effects his game. Like that he's going above and beyond and putting himself out of his comfort zone, definitely backing him to make it back.

Like Wellsy said at the inner sanctum night, for a player whose main weapon was explosive power and pace, to have major issues with his ankle,
pre and post surgery, and then requiring a follow up surgery, his confidence must have suffered a big hit, when he could no longer do on the field, what came naturally before, and no doubt a bit of pressure from his team mates, coaches and fans to explain what was going on, added to the mental side of it, Wellsy seemed confident he would be back, and he would know better than many of us, so get back soon Harps

They should be having weekly 1 on 1's with a line coach, weekly forwards/mids/defence with relevant coaches plus constant feedback during training. There should be no need for seeking further feedback, the coaches should be telling him what he's doing well, and what needs addressing.

by that logic there should be no need for any extra rehab or fitness work for any player then either

Good, they better back him in, hopefully it will also provide the development staff with more to do. Get Harper to elite and operation beast mode turner

You are deluded.
No I'm not.

I just wasn't being realistic.

If his potential turned out to be what it was going to be, perhaps I wouldn't be delusional.

Harper would be behind Nahas atm when both fit anyway. He just needs to find the ball more because hes so damaging when he has it.

Gee when you look at our list we've had so many current players succumb to serious long term injuries over the years, ie Tarrant, Adams, Greenhead, Spitter, Curran, JZ, Grima, Wellsy, Black, Garner, Macca, Delaney, Nahas and Tippett. That's gotta hurt our development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back