Past #23: Kieran Harper - delisted by the club (29/10) - will miss '16 VAFA season, surgery on ankle

Remove this Banner Ad

I would play him against Hawthorn. Can't do much worse than Adams et al and at least we get to see if he needs a better standard to perform in. Brad gifts plenty of games. Why not to Kieran.
I agree 100%!
If nothing hopefully it will wake the rest of these lazy "proffesionals" into realizing that their spots can and will be given to anyone on the list if you dont pull your weight!

If you gift a game to him then your continuing to gift to players who dont deserve it. Not sure where his contract is at but he would be getting close to the delist stage if you ask me, doesnt even have big games in the VFL.

what message is it sending by replacing them with someone who also 'doesn't pull their weight' ?
Just got to do it, everyones spot is up for grabs...if he doesnt pull his weight you can add him to the list that seems to be getting as long as santas naughty list...

Has it all but cant find it.

Dont want anyone getting games who dont deserve them. Team culture is ****ed because blokes are getting games without performing and blokes that have it on a string in the 2's cant buy a game. Brad and his mates:rolleyes:

Something from left field. Play him as the Nahas type role as a deep forward. Not expected to get a lot of the ball, can kick goals, good speed and pressure acts in his game.

What will annoy me is if we see him play all of next year in the VFL in the exact same role. Try something different. Either play him as an inside mid or a small defender.

If gifting games to those who haven't earned them is the problem we're attempting to solve, I can't see how doing the same thing again is going to achieve anything. I'm only going on what I've heard on here with regards to VFL performances, but if we're serious about wanting to make players earn their spots in the side, I can't see why Harper's case should be any different.

sadly will finish contract and gone...............the great white hope.......should change his name to cooney....

apparently played well being the inside mid but struggled when he was played on the wing. Also wood struggled up forward but dominated when he pushed onto the wing, he was recruited as a wingman so maybe he can take Mckenzie spot?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's contracted for next year.

Unless he is smashing it to pieces in the VFL he doesn't deserve promotion. Which is not the end of the world it is being made out as.

If he plays the year out in the VFL has a full preseason and pushes for selection round 1.

It funny that heaps of people say earn their way into the side in the twos and then there is this bloke who is doing that but not there yet and people want him played or have given up hope.

Still has a long way to go, still has a decent amount of time to get there.

apparently played well being the inside mid but struggled when he was played on the wing. Also wood struggled up forward but dominated when he pushed onto the wing, he was recruited as a wingman so maybe he can take Mckenzie spot?

One can only hope. From what ive seen he looks athletic so i'd be wrapped to see him get a go. Hopefully he can put his head over the footy too.

More likely is Wood for Black of course, if in fact Wood gets selected at all

As for Harper, it's a no from me as it was last week. I don't believe replacing an AFL underperformer with a VFL underperformer is the right avenue to solve our problem.

I think people read too much into his stats (if he is playing HFF). TBH I know he's not going to pick up 30+ touches so look more for tackles and goals.

The more worrying thing is the lack of being named in the best players.

I think people read too much into his stats (if he is playing HFF). TBH I know he's not going to pick up 30+ touches so look more for tackles and goals.

Seems to kick 1-2 goals every 3rd week. I know he's playing other roles and the Werribee forward line is pretty stacked (Brown, Wood, Daw and Milky Warren) but I don't think he's ever kicked something close to a bag in the VFL.

See a lot of Werribee and unfortunately I think Kieran's ankle injury has cost him his biggest assets. He doesn't appear to be nearly as explosive and rarely takes the game on with the speed and run and carry he had a few years ago.

It's a real shame to see. Hopefully he can regain some back as his recovery progresses, but he's no way near senior selection IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The trouble is he is getting his touches/tackles in the midfield and is footy starved when up forward.

Has talent, is a massive tease etc but let him earn his spot. Fed up with gifting games to underperforming players for the sake of 'development'. As stupid as it sounds we can still make the top 4 so selection should be based on form, fitness and winning games not 'developing players' for this mythical long term finals success crap we've been sold. We aren't even on first base yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back