Past #23: Kieran Harper - delisted by the club (29/10) - will miss '16 VAFA season, surgery on ankle

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok mate.... We all love everyone having an opinion.... but bald faced lying just isn't on...

Harper last three weeks has had 12, 16, 16 disposals... Not setting the world on fire I agree but certainly not 5.3 ave...

He said AFL games, not VFL games.

In his last 10 AFL games he averages:

10 disposals
0.8 goals
4 tackles

Just noticed its been recognized:)

Id be happy if Harper could average around the above stats with better games here and there, but 4 of his goals came against GWS in 2012 against pimple faced boys and there were 3 weeks with 0 tackles.

Harper should be aiming for 15 disposals/1.5 goals/6 tackles every week he plays.

Last edited:
I guess we will see, won't we....
I reckon harps will get a go at some point in the next few weeks, without ripping up the VFL.... Would that make you wrong??
We will see.

If he can get in & stay in the team & play his role then yes, I will be wrong.

If he can get 10-12 touches, 1-2 goals & a heap of tackles then he will have done his job.

I don't deny he has all the attributes to be a gun, but it takes more than that. Majak is exactly the same, should be a freak, but isn't.

How did you come to that conclusion?

It's not a "conclusion". It's an assumption.

When the alternatives are Sam Wright, Liam Anthony or a bunch of debutants then I don't see the big deal.

Last 6 AFL games, he averages 5.3 possessions.

NOT. GOOD. ENOUGH.

Until he starts kicking ass in the VFL, he cannot be considered for selection.

Also 5 goals and 23 tackles and he was either subbed on/off in 4 of those games.

But let's not tell the full story.

We will see.

If he can get in & stay in the team & play his role then yes, I will be wrong.

If he can get 10-12 touches, 1-2 goals & a heap of tackles then he will have done his job.

I don't deny he has all the attributes to be a gun, but it takes more than that. Majak is exactly the same, should be a freak, but isn't.
No mate, if he gets a game you are wrong, because you and Brad "agree" that he isn't up to it.

It's not a "conclusion". It's an assumption.

When the alternatives are Sam Wright, Liam Anthony or a bunch of debutants then I don't see the big deal.

Also 5 goals and 23 tackles and he was either subbed on/off in 4 of those games.

But let's not tell the full story.
4 of those 5 goals were against the GWS in their first year in the last round... Hardly even counts.

Was goalless in his last four games. Do you think that is good enough?

And if he doesn't... You are wrong!!!
Yep...... Oooooooh the consequences..... Hahahaha
Love a spirited chat mate, but rest assured we will all be far better off if harps can get a go and turn it on.

Tr
Yep...... Oooooooh the consequences..... Hahahaha
Love a spirited chat mate, but rest assured we will all be far better off if harps can get a go and turn it on.
Trust me, I'd love nothing more than Harper tearing it up in the ones in the finals this year. I'll gladly eat a big slice of humble pie. I just can't see it happening though, not without gaining confidence by tearing up the twos first.
Everyone's keeps saying he is a confidence player, yet they want to bring him in on the back of mediocre VFL form. Doesn't make sense.

IMO, Garner looks much more likely to get take the HFF position when he gets over his injury.

at the same time you cant play 6 backman or 5 inside players because they are all in good form....we saw that mistake against Gold Coast where we were way too tall down back and got exposed by the suns. Keeping our structure is important and Harper is the most like for like with Nahas, no doubt Nahas has shown more but the small forward role is also harder to play down the 2s due to the lack of quality, its a role where you do rely on others to bring you into the game.
Fishy continues not to miss goals, release him up forward.......its going to happen sooner or later the lad is our answer to Smith from Hawthorn.
At best Mullett should play on the wing, not half forward, we'd miss his pace on the transition if he was half forward, would be a waste.
Where does Smith play??.....wing, we have two decent wings already and I'd be incline to release one HFF (Fishy in this role) to do what he pleases as long as it damages the opposition by scoring and link pressure. I think releasing him of this negating/defensive role would be a plus even before Atley.

My thoughts exactly. it makes sense to bring him in and play him forward while Nahas is out. He might take the opportunity with both hands and never let it go, much like Greenwood did at the start of the year. I'd much prefer the game-breaking ability of Harper than the average-ness of Wright.

Did you see the first 3 games of last season? Sammy has never been that bad.

I wish people would get over the fact that Harper as much as we want him the succeed may not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you see the first 3 games of last season? Sammy has never been that bad.

I wish people would get over the fact that Harper as much as we want him the succeed may not.

You're right. The ones writing him off are the real supporters.

One thing missed in the last two pages of to and fro is that he was playing injured in his last few AFL games. But let's quote the stats and write him off.

This is the game to play him in though surely.... Just see what he can do, see if he still has it. Imagine if he showed some glimpses, and then backed up with a cracker against the hawks..... Just the sort of xfactor required to beat that mob.

Based on the highlight reel it'd be absolutely criminal for Harps not to make it as an AFL footballer.

Too many people are bringing up VFL/AFL stats without taking in to account his injury troubles. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...his-best-in-2014/story-fni5f22o-1226761994671

Fitness is massive in today's game and Harper had no preseason. Look at Maj for instance. He had a limited preseason and he's been exposed fitness wise.

He's had a slow start to the year, but as anyone who has injured their ankle before knows it is a tough road back. If he is not ready yet than so be it but I think he'd be infinitely better with better skilled players around him.

He's contracted until the end of 2015 therefore if he doesn't get a go this season it's not the end of the world. If he has a massive pre-season he'll be back. Hopefully making all those who doubted him look very silly.

I'm keeping the faith.

I'm keeping the faith.

I doubt there is a supporter who isn't mate.

But than itself doesn't mean he is gifted games off a highlights reel two years ago when others are currently more deserving, and as you point out re; injuries/preseason, most likely fitter.

It would appear Scott sees it the same way.

I doubt there is a supporter who isn't mate.

But than itself doesn't mean he is gifted games off two years ago when others are currently more deserving.

It would appear Scott sees it the same way.
No doubt Saintly. I'm not questioning anyone. I just don't like those not painting the whole picture.

I do think some players are better suited to AFL and lift another level when they are around better players. In my opinion Harper is one of them.
He has a higher ceiling than most of our fringe players so I'd be doing everything possible in an effort to drag it out of him. In saying that Scott and co are most likely doing that with extra coaching, sports psychologists, etc.

I'm quite surprised he hasn't been given another role on the field. Forwards who struggle with positioning are often moved down back to improve their game. If Harper struggles to find the ball why not plonk him on a half forward and tell him to shut him out?! He has speed to burn, good foot skills and a good tackler...seems logical to me. It'd be almost like having two Atley's down back. We could unearth a gem of a defender or even improve his overall game so when he moves forward he finds another gear. I know it's not as easy to shift people around but with his talent I'd imagine he wouldn't take long to figure it out (it didn't take Wright much - 1 pre-season).

But at the end of the day I don't know jack s**t...I'm sure there's a gif for me to post somewhere!

Seeing Harps has just turned 22, and taking in to account his injury history, his highlight reel, and the fact he is contracted till the end of next year, i have no problem keeping the faith in him, i'm not looking for supercoach numbers, just a bit of continuity and consistency, has all the tools to be a very dangerous player at the top level

12 possessions again against Coburg...A stand alone VFL team that isn't affiliated with an AFL club.
Is this guy ever gonna step up and display exactly what we recruited him for???
He has all the attributes required to be a successful AFL footballer....pace, good kick and a nice size.
His only issue is that he is unable to link up as well as you might usually do in those outside roles, which is specifically the role he was recruited for.
How long do we persist with him??? It kinda hurts when you consider that he was selected as part of the David Hale trade to Hawthorn!!! At this stage, Hawthorn is way out in front on this one!!!!
Love to see him succeed, but struggling to see it at the moment.....
Has another year to run on his contract.....career may be over if he dosen't improve in the short term.

12 possessions again against Coburg...A stand alone VFL team that isn't affiliated with an AFL club.
He has all the attributes required to be a successful AFL footballer....pace, good kick and a nice size.
His only issue is that he is unable to link up as well as you might usually do in those outside roles, which is specifically the role he was recruited for.
How long do we persist with him??? It kinda hurts when you consider that he was selected as part of the David Hale trade to Hawthorn!!! At this stage, Hawthorn is way out in front on this one!!!!
Has another year to run on his contract.....career may be over if he dosen't improve in the short term.

I would play him against Hawthorn. Can't do much worse than Adams et al and at least we get to see if he needs a better standard to perform in. Brad gifts plenty of games. Why not to Kieran.

Play him! Warren and Mckenzie only got 4-5 touches each...Harper cant do worse than that possessions wise, and I would back Harper to lay 6-7 tackles aswell.

He never got many touches as a junior either, its what he did with them that was so impressive, you have to play him on the half forward and measure his games by score assists, defensive pressure and goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back