R22: Port v Carlton review

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved Malthouse's comment at the press conference, "If Port play like that in the finals, they'll scare the life out of a few sides", or words to that effect. Gee I'd love to see us sneak into 4th, face Sydney at ANZ in week 1, and maybe exact a bit of revenge for the 2003 qualifying final.
Dream scenario cats beat the squawks tonight and swans get rolled by tiggers next week and we face the cats. I would back us to beat them

Even though it hasn't really been showing on the scoreboard for a variety of different reasons, it has felt as though we've been slowly getting back into the groove of things each week for the past month or so of football. Last night was the big time culmination of that. An emphatic return to form, if you will.

We destroyed Carlton in every facet of the game. Dominated the midfield, cut them to pieces rebounding between the arcs and generated shots on goal with ease. Macca described TJ's game beautifully. He was like the sweeper and Carlton couldn't get it past him. Amazing defensive performance, just ruthless football.

The only real negative of the night was kicking 20.20, but even that could be seen as an improvement on the sub-50% goal kicking of the past little while.

History is repeating and we are peaking at the right time of the season once again. Two key points:

1 - We have no injuries. Really important at this time of year. Remembering in 2004 (barring long term injuries to Francou and Primus) and 2007 when we made the grand final we had full teams to pick from come late August/September. It makes a huge difference in the run home and then once the real action starts.

2 - All of our big players are back in form. IMO our best 5 players are, in no particular order, Boak, Gray, Westhoff, Wingard and Hartlett. I had them as our top 5 last night. That's telling. Gray has been on all year, Boak most of the year. Westhoff and Hartlett started well, had a lull, but have really come on strongly over the past month or so. Wingard's return to form is the last piece of the puzzle and I just hope last night was the start of that for him. If those 5 fire, we are going to be tough to beat.

We've got a difficult task ahead of us, no question. But at least we know it won't be a meek surrender and that this season is still alive for us if we play as we know we can.

Bugger Neil Diamond. That was a Hot August night ******* Port Adelaide style. What a great night - the weather was nice and warm and the brand of footy we played was pretty hot.

Went for a sqizz on Carltons board , can't believe it there's three or four posts saying Jake Neade is a shocking player and they even made him look good.

"He isn't up to AFL standard."
- Andrew Newton Jarman on MMM this morning.

Then in the next breath, he said Neade was "outstanding."

Lesson learned and I've already returned to my radio blackout...

Went for a sqizz on Carltons board , can't believe it there's three or four posts saying Jake Neade is a shocking player and they even made him look good.
Personally I think he's going to be a beauty , younguns wouldn't remember him but he reminds me of Roger Rigney ( the wombat ) who played for Sturt in the 60's and is the indigenous player to have played in the most premierships . He used to annoy the life out of me with his forward nous , I reckon Jakeys heading in the right direction to do likewise ( not annoy me but other teams supporters ) Go Jakey Neade
The longer oppo under rate him the better. He has plenty. They were half right though The Blues would have made Mr Potato head look good last night

Bugger Neil Diamond. That was a Hot August night ******* Port Adelaide style. What a great night - the weather was nice and warm and the brand of footy we played was pretty hot.
It was so hot you appeared to have downed a few more cooling bevies than usual ;)

Had quite a few looks at the Jonas shepherd. If there's anything to get worried about it's that the MRP seems to want to get shepherds out of the game, and particularly where they are not just ones where you stand with your body in the way. Jonas has an unfortunate habit of moving his line and appearing to deliberately run into the player. Not that he does but with the multiple angles the MRP will have they can probably find one to hang him out to dry, even if the other fifty show nothing. Not helped by White continually touching his neck, which is odd because any contact was in the stomach. Didn't see it on 7 but people have said that the commentators continually talked about it. The AFL should crack down on that as it's an obvious prejudice against clubs they don't like. Cotchin does the same thing, it's "nothing in that" and no mention of it for the rest of the night.

Neade is one of those players that makes opposition defenders very nervous.
Also opposition supporters auromatically assume that a player is average or below average when they haven't seen him play and know nothing about him.

Also opposition supporters auromatically assume that a player is average or below average when they haven't seen him play and know nothing about him.
A new word to add that to my vocabulary :p

Jake Neade, the Aurora Portis. He lights up a game. :thumbsu:

Just an excellent all round performance. I doubt even 240volt could find too much to whinge about this week.
Malthouse's presser was pretty much spot on about the game from Carlton and ours.
Our best is good enough to beat anyone but i guess you can say that about all the top 4 teams.
We need to bring that hard running game next week to Perth.

I have had very little to whinge about THIS season, if you want to read lots of whinging you should read the match day threads.
Then again this forum is about not what is said but who says it.
Roll on next week:)

Yeah, I thought he was alright last night. Great to see his run back. Subbed out relatively early so he missed out on some party time.

If there's one change to his game I'd make it would be to change his name.

Matt isn't a sexy name. He needs a sexy name like Cyril.

Then he'd get more love from the commentators...
Eddie White

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The players rightly deserve the credit for a fantastic win. I would like to mention/highlight
the/our crowd,all 52,505 of them. So passionate with their scarves,singing, flag waving
cheering and roaring. AO festooned with our colours is a sight to behold.
Came home to watch the replay and was even more impressed by the game,crowd and venue.
I, along with many others quietly clapped Marc Murphy off in the 2nd Qtr. Having watched the replay
though and seen him snipe our skipper with a cheap one to the guts, in hindsight I would have watched his
departure in silence.
All in all tho, it was a GREAT night. So proud of our club and our supporters.

Ok i'm sober now..

That was scary, I don't think i've seeen the boys ever play with such intent, we were malicious around the contest. There is no hiding that our group plays off of confidence and my god they will be counting down the seconds until they get to unleash that run we saw last night.

One thing that stood out from the first forward entry.. we tried directing it to a player!!! instead of aimlessly bombing it in. One that stood out was Hammers amazing low darting ball straight to Jakey Neade.

The crowd chanting had the hairs on my standing up, I got emotional.

The stand out players for me...

Gray - Seriously I need to stop talking about him, but how can you not the way he is going. My favourite thing is seeing him in the forward 50 at a stoppage 2 out of 3 times he gets that clearance, he is sooooo strong through the core and his footy smarts are just unbelievable. Time after time he just gets the ball and dances gracefully around 3 or 4 opponents.

Hammer - Has he got quicker? Maybe its him attacking the ball with no concern for his safety. He really is a leader now, great to see the injury problems seem to be behind him. He is the kind of player who is born to play finals. I think someone said it before, if we made the GF I'd have my money on him for the medal. The past few weeks I haven't seen someone get past one of his tackles.

Pittard - My god. Was immense and if it wasn't for Gray would've got BOG. It's great that we are starting to see some consistency from Pit dawg this season. How good was it when he knocked that campaigner Murphy down and then had his shirt ripped off (no homo)

Jonas - How scared would you be to see Jonas walking towards you before the centre bounce. Back to his best the past two weeks. He is one of the hardest players to the contest we've seen. He reads the play so well and loves a cheeky high grab every now and then.

The Crazy Defence - Take a bow. Pressure was put on you this week and you stood up

Now for the Gifs :)

vgRXM.gif

76YQw.gif

48GNn.gif

r0VzK.gif

On another note I wonder if it's time for Judd to call it quits.

One of my favorite players to watch in his prime, but he didn't look like an AFL player today.
50/50. Was brought in to lead them, to take them that next step. But even if he was the player he was 5 years ago that won't happen now. Fit he's worth playing for another year, the downside being every game he plays in 2015 cuts into development of another player.
I guess despite me saying 50/50 he doesn't need them, they don't need him, So with respect Juddy time to hang the boots up.

Personally I think he's going to be a beauty , younguns wouldn't remember him but he reminds me of Roger Rigney ( the wombat ) who played for Sturt in the 60's and is the indigenous player to have played in the most premierships . He used to annoy the life out of me with his forward nous , I reckon Jakeys heading in the right direction to do likewise ( not annoy me but other teams supporters ) Go Jakey Neade

Neade reminds me of Richie Gray - slick, smooth, uncatchable. Port Adelaide.

Wombat Wodger Wigney? Naw. Never. Ugh. Sturt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back