Federal ICAC, why not?

Remove this Banner Ad

"...any politicians standing in its way need to fully explain themselves."
David Marr
Okay I know, lefty, luvvie David Marr quote, but why not? One thing that unites those who tread these boards is a distaste for corruption, is there a reasonable against one?
Should the establishment of a federal ICAC be a bigger issue than whether Clive Palmer thinks we should pony up $7 to see the doctor?

"...any politicians standing in its way need to fully explain themselves."
David Marr
Okay I know, lefty, sensible Labor supporter David Marr quote, but why not? One thing that unites those who tread these boards is a distaste for corruption, is there a reasonable against one?
Should the establishment of a federal ICAC be a bigger issue than whether Clive Palmer thinks we should pony up $7 to see the doctor?
Lee Rhianno been harping on about it although the Greens face big problems ironically in this area.

All parties have learnt from the NSW experience, that real corruption gets found out and a lot of politicians end up in the s**t.

Victorian politicians understood this and with bipartisan approval gave their IBAC next to no power to investigate anything of substance. All parties would face substantial losses and embarassment if the NSW powers were widespread across the country. That's why it probably won't happen.

Do it, in every state as well.

The "why not" question doesn't have an answer that will satisfy the public. It's an issue that would need significant momentum to get through as neither major party would support it if they don't have to.

It would need a minor party to really get behind the issue, and cause the public to demand one.

Although as knife pointed out, the two majors would just bend over and create a toothless ICAC. Any further demand for anti-corruption measures can be met with "we've already got one."

All parties have learnt from the NSW experience, that real corruption gets found out and a lot of politicians end up in the s**t.

Greiner getting done was a bit rich as was former NSW pm. Its a joke that no one is in jail re desal, that made Brian Burke and Joh look like beginners.

In the first instance why not have a forensic audit of every expense claimed by every pollie (fed and state) for the last 30 years? Tens if not hundreds would be in jail. Wouldn't cost too much.

That would concentrate the minds.

There is no need for a federal icac if Abbott was serious about corruption

He would have a royal commission into all of the political parties and other members of parliament

There is no need for a federal icac if Abbott was serious about corruption

He would have a royal commission into all of the political parties and other members of parliament
Funny how Labor doesn't want one also. Guess that they are about as serious as Abbott if not less.

If there was a Federal ICAC they could start but looking into this, another in a long line of bullshit expense claims by the Tony Abbott.
I don't care if they all do it, none of them should be and they should all be getting charged with fraud and have their golden handshakes upon leaving parliament cancelled.

Tony Abbott's visit to cancer hospital used to 'justify' fund-raising visit

Prime Minister Tony Abbott told government MPs he had to schedule an early morning visit to a cancer research centre in Melbourne on Tuesday so that he could justify billing taxpayers to be in the city for a "private function" the night before.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...sing-visit-20140826-108nxo.html#ixzz3BXp4Z4UD

If we got this in South Australia., Hooley Dooley :rolleyes:.

The head of the SA icac is sociopathic ,responds to the vulnerable and poor who have made complaints about severe and violent corruption within gov administration by laughing at them about it doesn't matter what is done to you commoner. This is very true.

If there was a Federal ICAC they could start but looking into this, another in a long line of bullshit expense claims by the Tony Abbott.
I don't care if they all do it, none of them should be and they should all be getting charged with fraud and have their golden handshakes upon leaving parliament cancelled.
It is really sad that this report does not surprise me, already has form. Paid more than Obama, yet still defrauds the public purse.

Would there be many people left in the House of Reps is there was a Federal ICAC?

Dodgy accommodation claims would be a goldmine all by itself - and if it was retrospective, I wonder how the Rudds would fare (hint: any half-baked investigator looking at Chinese Nursing Exchange Schemes would have a field-day).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a bit hard to buy into this whole lifters and leaners thing when Joe Hockey is paid $270 per night to sleep in his own home, and then you read about the whole let's visit a cancer hospital so the taxpayer has to pony up for the trip.
But it's the kids on the dole that's the problem right?

It's a bit hard to buy into this whole lifters and leaners thing when Joe Hockey is paid $270 per night to sleep in his own home, and then you read about the whole let's visit a cancer hospital so the taxpayer has to pony up for the trip.
But it's the kids on the dole that's the problem right?

Wonder when he organised the trip?
Talking about lifters and leaners, you can't lend us a couple of players for Friday night can you?

The latest to bite the dust is my own local state member Bart (Fred) Bassett. His office is literally 2 minutes walk away from where I live.

It's worth watching tonight's episode of The Roast to see how Abbott responded when the NSW ICAC was burying NSW Labor pollies compared to his response to the current Liberal carnage.

That's why we won't have a federal ICAC.

A Federal ICAC should happen. I mean Tony has a Royal commission into unions so it makes a lot of sense for ICAC to strongly investigate all members of federal parliament and all federal political organisations.
Greens would be burned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back