LNP will win the next federal election. Bookmark it.

Remove this Banner Ad

People do use public transport. Give real car-free options and people will take them.

Build more roads and people will fill them up within a few years.

Yes, people do use public transport. I use public transport. Not enough people use public transport. I think the "build it and they will come" only gets levels up so far, and the current level is not where it was pre-COVID. In Victoria reducing fees for regional PT is a good start, but I think there are other factors at play.

Tax empty holiday homes and the owner will tell the gov that little Tarquin lives there while he is at University.
My partners father is on his 2nd marriage. When he met his new wife he was living rurally near the coast having a sabbatical after a long life in education administration. When they married he moved in with her in her house in the City and they keep his home as a holiday house. They have seperate titles on their own houses. We're amongst immediate family who use his house as a getaway a few times a year. Technically its unoccupied but should he be forced to sell it because its somehow wasteful?

My partners father is on his 2nd marriage. When he met his new wife he was living rurally near the coast having a sabbatical after a long life in education administration. When they married he moved in with her in her house in the City and they keep his home as a holiday house. They have seperate titles on their own houses. We're amongst immediate family who use his house as a getaway a few times a year. Technically its unoccupied but should he be forced to sell it because its somehow wasteful?
Taxing =/= selling

Yes, people do use public transport. I use public transport. Not enough people use public transport. I think the "build it and they will come" only gets levels up so far, and the current level is not where it was pre-COVID. In Victoria reducing fees for regional PT is a good start, but I think there are other factors at play.
Population density in our urban centres is a barrier to PT development and use too. Even Melbourne and Sydney have population densities well below global norms.

How would you tax them? 1% of the unimproved value of the land per year? How much would that raise? How many houses would that money raised build?
For AirBNBs, I'd tax them as commercial property
For vacant/holiday homes, proportionally

Regional areas have their current available rental rates decimated by properties instead being used for short-stay accommodation. We need to incentivize those properties to become available to the residential rental market.
Any extra revenue raised will likely fall under consolidated revenue but would at least provide extra funds for some expansion of the public housing program.

Regional areas have their current available rental rates decimated by properties instead being used for short-stay accommodation. We need to incentivize those properties to become available to the residential rental market.
Any extra revenue raised will likely fall under consolidated revenue but would at least provide extra funds for some expansion of the public housing program.
I agree on Airbnbs. IIRC the tax office will treat your PPOR as an investment property for CGT if they ever find out you’ve used it for short stay. Some people have got stung this way.

Otherwise holiday homes should be left alone.

or just ban short stay or airbnb all up & insane mass migration or forign ownership?
oh wait hang on it was the frame work of whitlem and hawke that signed Australia up for globalization and both parties especially the the ALP. putting people in to povety is there thing

How would you tax them? 1% of the unimproved value of the land per year? How much would that raise? How many houses would that money raised build?
wont improve anything. rubbish government identities will miss use the funds like they already do, foreign owners will have tax loop holes to get out of it and the tax will only screw locals over

A sliver of our society could stand to be a lot poorer.

Holiday homes sitting idle are objectively a wasteful investment of resources.

Nah. Look at any city and you see that's not always the case.

We need to revert from car-based urban design to public transport and self-propelled design. Stop building these big housing estates with ugly McMansions only accessible by car, and little to no services, schools, and shops. Stop taking up large blocks of land with nothing but a fast food outlet and a parking lot.

Thankfully we see some cities realising this and investing in PT infrastructure, giving approvals for high rises in PT corridors, lowering traffic speed limits and so on.
I think that your points are going to be better met by increasing population density in inner to middle suburbs- the ones that already have public transportation and infrastructure. And this is the type of development that some green mps/ council oppose on nimby reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 election cycle is too early to be back in power. The honeymoon stage of being able to blame the previous Government for everything won't have worn thin yet. It will take 2 or 3 cycles to forget why the Libs were voted out and remember why Labor was ditched in 2013.

And this is the type of development that some green mps/ council oppose on nimby reasons.
I've seen one example and don't know what type of development it was. Was it just more apartments for investors? Good affordable housing?

It is certainly more difficult as a lot of the go to fearmongering is not there anymore.

Debt Deficit - Gone
Boat People - Not an issue anymore
Better economic manager - Gone
Right wing media - flailing

Only really left with Immigration numbers, saying Woke with little context and using the word no a lot on policy

It is certainly more difficult as a lot of the go to fearmongering is not there anymore.

Debt Deficit - Gone
Boat People - Not an issue anymore
Better economic manager - Gone
Right wing media - flailing

Only really left with Immigration numbers, saying Woke with little context and using the word no a lot on policy
And the elephant in the room - Dutton.
He's stayed away from the Vic and NSW state elections because he was unpopular there and would have hurt the prospects of the state parties.
How on Earth are they supposed to add 18 seats with a leader who is electoral poison in the two most populous states in Australia?

It depends on how you build it. Frequency of the service is always near the top on polling when it comes to barriers on public transport.
Something running every 30-60 minutes doesn't cut it.
Then you have the route elements. The more successful routes are the ones that don't do a grand tour of a suburb. They stay in a straight line.

Just a bit more corruption exposed from the last LNP Government. Giving indigenous money to Sky News for a TV show where Warren Mundine tells people to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

It's ok because he's a conservative

"Newly elected Greens MP for Balmain Kobi Shetty – who is also an inner west councillor and voted for the rezoning last year – urged attendees to tell the council how the proposal would affect them."

From that article people said put the developments on Parramatta Rd not in their streets?

So you could call it "NIMBY" but it seems like they had a point about there being better options.

"Newly elected Greens MP for Balmain Kobi Shetty – who is also an inner west councillor and voted for the rezoning last year – urged attendees to tell the council how the proposal would affect them."

From that article people said put the developments on Parramatta Rd not in their streets?

So you could call it "NIMBY" but it seems like they had a point about there being better options.

The Liberals in WA probbaly aren't bouncing back any time soon judging by this decision-making:
View attachment 1666310
SOURCE: Expelled Victorian Liberal to take over WA party

They did an extensive review after the disaster of 2021 and implemented exactly zero of the recommendations which included steps to minimise the influence of the evangelicals and make it more appealing to women and minorities. They have accepted that they are the party of happy clapping white men.

LNP will win the next federal election.

My thesis:

The Australian economy will deteriorate over the next two years. High inflation, higher interest rates, house prices falling, unemployment rising.

The Australian populace will start to query what the ALP has actually done while in government, other than increase immigration levels to all time highs in the middle of a rental/housing crisis. If the LNP decide to wedge the ALP on immigration, then they will romp it in.

Andrew Hastie could easily lead the LNP to the next election and is PM material in the making. No doubt in my mind.

Your thoughts?

This will go as well as your ‘people will grow to love Tony Abbott’ thread mate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back