LNP will win the next federal election. Bookmark it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yada yada. So they should support a manifestly inadequate proposal? Like I said barracker, bye.
Chandler-Mather is opposing 1300 new homes being built in his electorate. This is what the Greens always do. This is a huge part of why we have a housing crisis, NIMBY, often greens-led councils in the inner suburbs of major cities, opposing development.

Chandler-Mather is opposing 1300 new homes being built in his electorate. This is what the Greens always do. This is a huge part of why we have a housing crisis, NIMBY, often greens-led councils in the inner suburbs of major cities, opposing development.

I'd say this is a bigger part.

Unoccupied dwellings are often seaside holiday homes, eg I know a family who owns a house in Pyrmont and one in Bundeena, the second house is mostly unoccupied. On census night both are given census forms. It’s a two hour trip from Bundeena to the CBD, effectively useless for anyone who needs to work. Maybe you raise taxes and force them to sell the holiday home - but what does that do for people who need to live close to work?

Your own link says as much:

“It's also striking how few unoccupied homes are in our major cities. Sydney is a great example. The map below shows a very uniform absence of unused housing across the whole metropolitan area.”

There are very few unoccupied houses where people need to live and work. There is instead impediments to redevelopment, mostly pushed by greens-led NIMBY councils.

How often?
It’s in the article EagleMan87 cited:

The second and perhaps most important contributor to the empty homes story is holiday homes. Estimates vary, but we know 2 million Australians own one or more properties other than their own home. It's estimated up to 346,581 of these properties may be listed on just one rental platform, Airbnb.

And the article goes into how there are very few unoccupied homes in metropolitan areas.

Unoccupied dwellings are often seaside holiday homes, eg I know a family who owns a house in Pyrmont and one in Bundeena, the second house is mostly unoccupied. On census night both are given census forms. It’s a two hour trip from Bundeena to the CBD, effectively useless for anyone who needs to work. Maybe you raise taxes and force them to sell the holiday home - but what does that do for people who need to live close to work?
Yeah I get that not all of those houses would be ideal, but the amount of Air BnBs, holiday homes and 'development' empty properties around most CBDs are a big factor in the housing crisis.

That, along with owners raising rents and now 10 consecutive interest rate rises.

All of which are due to capitalist greed.

Yeah I get that not all of those houses would be ideal, but the amount of Air BnBs, holiday homes and 'development' empty properties around most CBDs are a big factor in the housing crisis.

That, along with owners raising rents and now 10 consecutive interest rate rises.

Except the article says there aren’t that many unoccupied dwellings in the cities. I mean if you really wanted to upset absent investors hoarding property, you’d build more properties. The Greens are opposed to that wherever they have the power to block development.

Tax empty holiday homes and the owner will tell the gov that little Tarquin lives there while he is at University.

But there are few unoccupied dwellings in cities, so what does it matter if they are lying about the purpose? The building is occupied.
NO. Again - they are just SAYING that their kid lives there when he DOES NOT.

Tax empty holiday homes and you'll get less investment in those properties. It's a wasteful investment. Put the money into housing in areas where it is needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NO. Again - they are just SAYING that their kid lives there when he DOES NOT.

Tax empty holiday homes and you'll get less investment in those properties. It's a wasteful investment. Put the money into housing in areas where it is needed.
How is it wasteful? It’s a leisure activity, people who are denied the ability to own holiday homes will just spend that money on travel. Unless you are advocating everyone live a little bit poorer and be denied spending on personal enjoyment. What a miserable worldview.

Why not just build more housing. There is more than enough wealth in Australia to do both, the only thing standing in the way are insular inner city councils.

How is it wasteful? It’s a leisure activity, people who are denied the ability to own holiday homes will just spend that money on travel. Unless you are advocating everyone live a little bit poorer. What a miserable worldview.
A sliver of our society could stand to be a lot poorer.

Holiday homes sitting idle are objectively a wasteful investment of resources.

the only thing standing in the way are insular inner city councils.
Nah. Look at any city and you see that's not always the case.

We need to revert from car-based urban design to public transport and self-propelled design. Stop building these big housing estates with ugly McMansions only accessible by car, and little to no services, schools, and shops. Stop taking up large blocks of land with nothing but a fast food outlet and a parking lot.

Thankfully we see some cities realising this and investing in PT infrastructure, giving approvals for high rises in PT corridors, lowering traffic speed limits and so on.

Except the article says there aren’t that many unoccupied dwellings in the cities. I mean if you really wanted to upset absent investors hoarding property, you’d build more properties. The Greens are opposed to that wherever they have the power to block development.
Honestly, it's not so much the houses in big cities, more the abandoned retail properties that could be re-zoned and turned into living spaces.

Bottom line is: if you have an empty property in a high density area, you should be taxed a lot more.

A sliver of our society could stand to be a lot poorer.

Holiday homes sitting idle are objectively a wasteful investment of resources.
I disagree. I think it’s an objectively good thing that a million Australians are wealthy enough to have holiday homes. There should be more homes and holiday homes for all. Yours is a miserly view. There is no limit on how many homes we can build.

Then the only issue will be getting people to use public transport.
People do use public transport. Give real car-free options and people will take them.

Build more roads and people will fill them up within a few years.

Honestly, it's not so much the houses in big cities, more the abandoned retail properties that could be re-zoned and turned into living spaces.

Bottom line is: if you have an empty property in a high density area, you should be taxed a lot more.
Well yes, but that is again a consequence of zoning laws and councils getting in the way. NIMBYs are opposed to that too

You think we are near peak housing materials?
Land. Money. Infrastructure. Water. Power. Transport. Tradespeople. And more.

I mean it's physically not possible to build unlimited housing. This is completely obvious. It's a bizarre claim.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back