The coalition will never win the federal government again.

Remove this Banner Ad

They're going to move further right and the voters will flock back to them apparently.
The question is, how many more far right people are there in this country? You gotta love the Credlins and the Murrays and those types who reckon they should go further to the right to get votes.

The question is, how many more far right people are there in this country? You gotta love the Credlins and the Murrays and those types who reckon they should go further to the right to get votes.
I think most of Australia sits centre to centre-right, right where Labor sits based on the last Political Compass page I saw (though it is terribly outdated) so moving further right won't really help them

Just watched some of yesterday's QT. The worst performance by a Federal Opposition in living memory.

In our Westminster system, a strong and effective opposition is essential to accountable government. So we should all be worried about the incompetence on display from Dutton's mob.

Reckon Sussan Ley won't last the year as Deputy - woefully inept to the point of utter embarrassment. SShe famously added an extra 's' to her name after reading a numerology book that claimed the number of letters in your name exerted a power over your personality, saying in an interview that

'I worked out that if you added an ''s'' I would have an incredibly exciting, interesting life and nothing would ever be boring.'

Well you got that right Sussan! But probably not in the way you imagined.

Yep. Never underestimate the determination of a RWNJ (and I don’t often use the acronym) to import wholesale all that is schitty about the US.

But also never underestimate their ability to cluelessly ignore the massive cultural differences between our two nations.

As long as we have the AEC, as long as we have compulsory voting, as long as we have preferential voting*, what takes hold in the Australian political landscape will look very different to in the US.

*So we must be ever vigilant against their attempts to weaken even these pillars of our democracy, because if there’s one thing about RWNJs, they are determined, and they don’t care too much about decency and an even contest.

What they offer you depends on where you live, what your socioeconomic status is, your values, your goals etc etc etc. What they offer a inner Melbourne student activist, will be completely different to what they offer a rural white collar property developer.
Well that’s a bit of a non-answer. I mean, it’s bleeding obvious that’s the case.

But what’s also bleeding obvious is the most recent election showed pretty emphatically that a definitive portion of the Australian population no longer care for what the Coalition is offering.

They no longer have to just win in the marginals, as is always the way, they now have to win back those permanently-Lib seats they’ve now lost for the first time.

And how are they going to do that? I can’t see Zali Steggall falling out of favour with her electorate anytime soon. So that’s Tony Abbott’s. Which had never been non-Lib from 1922 to 2019, when Zali beat Abbott, am ex-PM.

John Howard’s seat is no longer Lib.

Menzies, Peacock and Frydenberg’s seat of Kooyong has gone to a non-Lib for the first time in history.

Holt, Gorton and Costello’s seat of Higgins has gone Labor for the first time in history.

This is seismic.

Added to that is how so many recent Libs foolishly nailed their colours to the Trump mast, and the whole world now knows what a disaster that was.

And I get the distinct impression fewer people are buying the Murdoch schitte anymore. Just a feeling.

How can anyone answer that question??
Well I think it’s obvious that from 1944 to some time this decade, the Libs were pretty confident they knew that answer.

I think there are two major problems they will need to overcome to achieve government again.

One: compulsory voting means that the US style culture war guff only works if the government of the day is actually on the nose. Rudd/Gillard were voted out more than Abbott was voted in, regardless of what the HS or Ch.7 tried to tell people about their 'vision' or their competence. Once in government, you need to provide the people (as opposed to the opposition) enough reason to dump you. Dogwhistling isn't going to work from opposition, because from opposition you can't dominate the discourse in the same way, and there simply aren't enough votes in doing so here to make that an election winner. They also can't porkbarrel as hard from opposition, even if they can still try and entice voters with bribes; however, their record for lying when in office can bite them in the arse here, as the Labor party can just posit 'non-core promises' and tell the voters the Libs have lied before and will again.

They have an honesty and a perception problem: they will do whatever it takes to win and they will lie to conceal or for advantage, above and beyond other politicians.

The other problem they have is that the Teals - indeed, the entire rest of Australia - has been watching the US with horror at how close the country is split down Democrat/Republican lines. The Teals in particular have distanced themselves from the Libs due to disagreements about climate absolutely, but the other side of it was that the rest of their party was going bat s**t crazy. They distanced themselves from the wings of the broad church, and while this isn't the schism in the party that would see it divide forever just yet if the Libs don't actively seek to lure them back over the next few years it could absolutely become permanent.

If it happens, the Libs can't win power on their own and the Teals cannot win power on their own.

It will only last as long as the Teals have irreconcilable differences with the hard right of the Libs/Nats. For them both to continue losing, we need both the Libs to get even crazier and the Teals to get ambitious about their own prospects away from the Coalition. We need the Labor party to actively court the Teals, giving them access to power and generally putting forth an air of 'getting on with business with the adults in the room.'

Let's not forget, what's politely referred to as "integrity" was a big issue in this election.

This mob were crooked as a dog's hind leg, and have so far offered nothing in the way of a mea culpa or a willingess to clean up its act. (Unsurprisingly - remember how they relentlessy mocked Labor for its leadership tussles, then when Labor cleaned up its act thanks to Rudd's stipulations on leadership challenges as a condition of returning to PM, and the Coalition descended into dismaying leadership BS for years until finally adopting very similar new rules to Labor, not once did they offer any apology for their behaviour. So fphukc 'em.)

AND there's the prospect coming of an ICAC with serious teeth, which will go through this current generation of Coalition poliies like a dose of the salts. There will be some collateral damage to Labor, but any fool can see they're much cleaner than the Coalition of late.

That was a seriously rotten government and Dutton and co can't just pretend otherwise.

Considering both the ALP and LNP had swings against them in the primary, it was the election of people abandoning the big parties and saying enough of the snivelling bullshit. Of course the ALP have tried to make out like this was a resounding victory for the ALP, however it wasn't exactly that. People hated Scomo and voted him and his corruption out, but they didn't swing to the ALP....they swung to the minors. This makes the ALP's tenure quite volatile, it wont take muh for that to reverse itself enough to cast doubt amongst the public that the ALP isn't doing a good job.

Making blanket statements about this being the end of the LNP is not only fanciful, but delusional. They will be back, probably in 1-2 terms or so, plenty of people feel they stand to gain under liberal principles still, and in reality they always will.
Where did the swings go? Towards action on climate change.

I said in another thread....Dutton is (long term) probably the biggest threat to the ALP. He wont last once the polling comes in, and the pressure will build for a move back towards the centre. This would be diabolical for the ALP. They need to keep the LNP as far right as possible.

So you admit, in it present form, the LNP doomed.
How can they move to the left and still be in coalition?

Every time the likes of Dutton, Sukkar etc try their usual playbook of attacking the unions, “wokeness“, whining that the Teals are big meanies, plus Dutton the other day saying they will stand by their principles in opposing Albanes’s climate bills

Every time they do it I think of Principal Skinner trying to find the truant Bart Simpson in the Natural History Museum and assuring himself that he’s not out of touch and that it’s the children who are wrong.

So you admit, in it present form, the LNP doomed.
How can they move to the left and still be in coalition?
The teals can rinse / repeat the advertising from this election saying a vote for liberals is a vote for baaaaaarnaby and against climate action.

Until both the liberals and the nationals unequivocally repudiate their climate policy the teals arent going anywhere - and the libs / nats sponsors want them denying mmcc and promoting fossil fuels…..

I dont see how this ends well for them.

Added to this, australians dont like extremist politics. The greens hacve moved from the hard left to achieve any popularity at all - the liberals moving further to the right will do them zero favours.

The teals will likely become the new right party and the liberals will wither and die.

Good riddance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Calling the female deputy speaker 'Mr Speaker' 32 times?

Got a link?
It is unforgivably disrespectful to not bother to amend your speech, or concentrate when delivering it, in a professional workplace.

A bloke at the local wouldn’t extend you the benefit of the doubt if you kept addressing him incorrectly, after numerous requests to ‘cease and desist’ - rude, ignorant ***** end up on their arse.

The public perception of Coalition weakness on climate policy was “exacerbated by a coordinated public attack by some members of the government’s backbench against any action in climate policy”.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂… and they just voted against climate policy …

With every passing day we get further evidence of what a rotten government that was, but this fresh addition to the speculation that the AFP was actually doing their bidding is extremely concerning.

ICAC ASAP!

I said in another thread....Dutton is (long term) probably the biggest threat to the ALP. He wont last once the polling comes in, and the pressure will build for a move back towards the centre. This would be diabolical for the ALP. They need to keep the LNP as far right as possible.
The small problem in your plan is there is no one in the Liberal party capable or willing to take them back towards the centre.

In fact, what is left of the Liberals are already hiding and concealing most of their worst right wing beliefs - they are already way further left than they want to be.

The Liberals are not capable of reform. The inmates have taken over the asylum

The small problem in your plan is there is no one in the Liberal party capable or willing to take them back towards the centre.

In fact, what is left of the Liberals are already hiding and concealing most of their worst right wing beliefs - they are already way further left than they want to be.

And they are crooked as AF. Until they have the blowtorch of accountability applied to them, they are utterly undeserving of consideration for office.

As someone who is both supportive of a federal ICAC and has been skeptical about how much it will actually achieve, I have been surprised at how Perrottet and Guy have been handled by the media. They have pursued them more aggressively than I expected.

It's possible that I may have underestimated the positive effect a federal ICAC will have on politics.

Birmingham?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back