Qld Government suspends Human Rights Charter to pass bill to lock kids up in adult prisons

Remove this Banner Ad

95% of kids on the police watch list, in FNQ, are indigenous. That begs the question:
1) why are police so focused on indigenous kids
2) what can we do in indigenous communities to create better opportunities

I'm not sure if jail and detention centres = better opportunities

It's cheaper to lock up the kids in an adult prison than it is to put them into youth detention.
I don't know the Queensland figures, but in Victoria it's an enormous difference - like a factor of 3.

This seems all about dollars. It's certainly not in any way about rehabilitation

It's cheaper to lock up the kids in an adult prison than it is to put them into youth detention.
I don't know the Queensland figures, but in Victoria it's an enormous difference - like a factor of 3.

This seems all about dollars. It's certainly not in any way about rehabilitation
yes this latest bill seems primarily to be a way to head off legal action as what they've been doing has been illegal

when a government is ramming through legislation like and has to suspend the human rights charter to do it

and its for minors

and its at the request of the enforcement agency

well the whole thing stinks

and its a good reminder that while Labor may market itself as the progressive party they regularly increase policing powers and funding

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1692935396006.png

We had to ignore their human rights because the police said these children are dangerous and need to be locked up.

We simply couldn't allow children held illegally be allowed to go back to their families.

It was only a technicality anyway that the courts said we couldn't do this so we fixed it.

Yep and let's get real..........rehab in most cases = give kids hope and an opportunity not to be bored

sure there will be cases of parent neglect where the parents drink all the social welfare away and the kids are hungry. but again how does locking up the kid for being hungry resolve the actual problem?

The greatest challenge the world faces as it becomes increasingly more sophisticated is how to look after those left behind. Vulnerable kids from vulnerable societies are either left behind and facing a life of criminal justice investment or we simply invest in the kids for productive outcomes.

I know what I'd prefer.

It's difficult to form judgement without knowing what the kids did.

Schitts Creek Ok GIF by CBC

So, ahh, what did they do?
I have zero interest in discussing the rights of minors with someone who wants the age of consent to be 14.

It's difficult to form judgement without knowing what the kids did.

Regardless of what they did, there is an obligation from the state to protect all people under their care.

The basic concept is adults and kids require separation in custody just as males and females.

This doesn’t necessarily mean separate facilities in my mind but certainly separation and very different service support whilst in custody.

Regardless of what they did, there is an obligation from the state to protect all people under their care.

The basic concept is adults and kids require separation in custody just as males and females.

This doesn’t necessarily mean separate facilities in my mind but certainly separation and very different service support whilst in custody.
I presume they are being separated from adults. Is there reason to think otherwise?

Separation of males and females in prison is another interesting issue. I'm sure there would be strong opposing positions from regular SRP posters.

Love it when people don't read up on the issue before talking s**t.
From the second article I linked earlier

The state’s human rights commissioner, Scott McDougall, said allowing children as young as 10 to be held indefinitely in “what are essentially concrete boxes” means “there are farm animals with better legal protections in Queensland than children.”

There have been cases documented of children held for up to 40 days in cells designed to hold adults for less than 24 hours. The experience has been likened to sensory deprivation, as the lights in cells remain on 24 hours a day and there is often no access to sunlight.

Conditions in watch houses include exposure of children to aggressive adult detainees, a lack of appropriate facilities for girls, lack of access to showers or clean clothes and young people sleeping on yoga mats in shower stalls.

It's the last gasp effort of Labor to hold on to government

Youth crime is massive at the moment and this sort hard line act appeals to many in this state
Many in Vic like it too.
Media and cops love drumming up fear and then the cops get more power and money.

Never fixes the issues though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back