Tas Tasmanian Election 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Bec White - the Collingwood of Tasmanian politics.
If Pies fans think they're doing it tough at the moment they should look across the ditch at the Canterbury Crusaders, they've won the last seven straight Super Rugby titles and are currently 0-5.

Someone in this thread asked about the results of the SA bi-election also held on Saturday which saw the ALP retake the seat of Dunstan in the leafy inner eastern suburbs that was held by the former SA Liberal Premier Steven Marshall. Was the first time in over a century that Labor has won a bi-election from government.

The relevance for the Tasmanian election is that the SA ALP has made an art form of forming stable government from a minority position.

In fact for 18 of the last 20 years Labor has ruled South Australia largely thanks to the support of a rag tag army of conservative independents or straight-out Liberal defectors drawn from the rural or urban fringe. That has included installing former SA National Party and Liberal Party leaders as Cabinet Ministers.

Maybe the Tasmanian political leaders need to look to SA Labor to see how a willingness to compromise and negotiate with political opponents can actually deliver strong and stable government for its citizens.

i.e. a capacity to move beyond all or nothing student politics mentality.

Last edited:

Why do internet people always moralise their politics? The answer is never "because I believe in forestry preservation" it's "because i'm a good person and you aren't"
I know this is a few days old, but can I ask how you reached this conclusion from the post you quoted? Where was I moralising?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back