Aston by-election, Date: TBA

Who wins

• Liberal

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Labor

Votes: 19 61.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This is my major gripe with federal labour.

They need to remove punitive hurdles for jobseekers, increase funding of the basics in the social safety net and build more public housing.

These aren't even gigantic budget busting commitments. Make housing more accessible and life for a large part of the population less punitive and you'd guarantee reelection. There'd be a significant mandate to introduce structural change that would make housing more affordable.
The expectation that owning multiple homes should guarantee you a profit needs to disappear. Investing in property should carry the same risk as any other investment.

That was beyond stupid and easy to predict and avoid. There are very justifiable concerns about Xi's actions and Dan's relationship but it needs to be clearly stated that the problem is China or the great Chinese people who have little choice in the actions of that pyscho. Easy rule, if you are expressing concern it is about Xi and the CCP leadership, never say anything negative about the country in general.
Scummo could have scored points by highlighting how many people would be alive if Xi hadn't arrested the brave Chinese doctors who tried to warn the world.

Sent from my SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I doubt Dan has any relationship with Xi and he'd be the first to admit it.

Senior officials or influence pedlars aren't palling around with an Australian state premier.

He's meeting a handul of relevant officials (to the state economy), with involvement in things like student exhange and education. Just like when he has travelled to India or met with any other ASEAN leaders. The Red Dan paranoia is not only ridiculous, but openly silly and corny.

The expectation that owning multiple homes should guarantee you a profit needs to disappear. Investing in property should carry the same risk as any other investment.
And concerns over investment should and could be quarantined to new housing stock.

CGT and negative gearing reform wisely doesn't need to touch new builds.

And concerns over investment should and could be quarantined to new housing stock.

CGT and negative gearing reform wisely doesn't need to touch new builds.
have some sort of phased immunity/ exemption which will encourage early sale to maximise the tax advantage (if you dont sell by say 5 years you lose the "new build advantage"

and absolutely need to * over the short term housing/ holiday housing sector

My god, Peta Credlin can talk absolute rubbish.
I've watched her talk the last 4 times Liberals have lost something, and she gives the most ridiculous reasons for the loss and sounds like she knows exactly what she is talking about, then gives more ridiculous thoughts on what is needed to be done to fix things , and it's all crap.
She has absolutely no idea at all.

Here's a hypothetical: what would happen if Credlin and the other usual suspects put their hand up and said:

"I've been barking up the wrong tree with my suggestions to fix the Liberal Party, they really need to claw back the centre and those votes that are going to independents and the ALP and forget about trying to out-culture war One Nation."

Dutton would change his approach before they would. Their jobs depend on them staying the course, so they'll never, ever, ever change... even those who don't actually believe what they're saying (assuming there are any).

have some sort of phased immunity/ exemption which will encourage early sale to maximise the tax advantage (if you dont sell by say 5 years you lose the "new build advantage"

and absolutely need to * over the short term housing/ holiday housing sector
Definitely follow Japan in some of their restrictions on the Airbnb type market.

Oh yeah definitely but as a Lib Candidate she ticked a lot of boxes female immigrant working mother
no questioning her intellect, just her political smarts. katie allen was smart too, but not politically savvy. lost a blue ribbon seat as a consequence. oh, and she's part of the problem as she's an entitled person and far from centre right which is where the libs should be going.

I’m trying to figure out the LNP all in commitment to the Murdoch press.

And then I remember that the Morrison government was probably the most corrupt in Australian history and they got away with everything they did by hiding behind the Murdoch press.

This creates two problems, 1/ you owe them a debt, and 2/ they know where the bodies are buried.

Dutton and Co. simply cannot disavow themselves from the Murdoch press - they are too exposed.

And then I remember that the Morrison government was probably the most corrupt in Australian history and they got away with everything they did by hiding behind the Murdoch press.

This creates two problems, 1/ you owe them a debt, and 2/ they know where the bodies are buried.

Dutton and Co. simply cannot disavow themselves from the Murdoch press - they are too exposed.

I wonder which evil entity will die first, the LNP or Rupe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think electing Campbell would be a mistake. She'll be far too easy to expose the link between herself and the fluff pieces and bias in the Hun. The people of Aston might include lots of religious nutters, but they're not stupid, just indoctrinated. Even they couldn't ignore the obvious bias in front of their face. So even if they win, the Hun/LNP partnership will lose another few % points of influence.

Nominating a Doctor who isn't a religious nutter would be a slam dunk. Which indicates to me that the Libs won't do it.
You got it completely correct.

What? Just in case the Murdoch Media admit they've been misleading their readers for 20 years?

The Media are all-in on these talking points too. Poor=their fault, rich=pulled themselves up by their boot-straps.

The LNP can't afford not to disavow themselves of the rantings of Sky News. The reason they won't is because the branches are so captured.

I think what will occur next is that a bunch of rich people, with lots of corporate money, will start a new political party, even poach a few teals and a couple of Liberals. Ditch the climate denial, ditch the culture wars, but keep the same rich/poor dichotomy, where they're the party of the rich and aspirational.

But for it to work, they'll have to resign from the existing Liberal Party en masse and leave that party to actually die. They'll have to stop talking about Howard and Menzies and start fresh.

It will be tempting for them to go back to that well, but if they do, it will only hold them back.

What? Just in case the Murdoch Media admit they've been misleading their readers for 20 years?

The Media are all-in on these talking points too. Poor=their fault, rich=pulled themselves up by their boot-straps.

The LNP can't afford not to disavow themselves of the rantings of Sky News. The reason they won't is because the branches are so captured.

I think what will occur next is that a bunch of rich people, with lots of corporate money, will start a new political party, even poach a few teals and a couple of Liberals. Ditch the climate denial, ditch the culture wars, but keep the same rich/poor dichotomy, where they're the party of the rich and aspirational.

But for it to work, they'll have to resign from the existing Liberal Party en masse and leave that party to actually die. They'll have to stop talking about Howard and Menzies and start fresh.

It will be tempting for them to go back to that well, but if they do, it will only hold them back.

Watching the absolute ranting on Sky of the LNP being Labor Lite.

They want to attack the Climate change, the renewable stuff, push nuclear & all the usual Ultra Conservative agenda crap & push their Culcha wars guff. ie push further towards being irrelevant. BS about 'Trans Ideology' in Government schools & nothing about narrow minded religious brainwashing in Catholic schools!!!

Don't they see the data on demographic changes & voting patterns?

Crap like. 'oh that's Victoria'!! So what? They don't vote LNP for a reason!! What's the reason!! What about the other states?

Tasmania is an outlier because the ALP is a mess. Policy Uturns & leadership turmoil for 2 years made them look totally pathetic & irrelevant.

Our democratic system works best when its Pluralistic tendencies are based on science or otherwise informed policy, not brainless dogma.

Anyway, stuff the Potato, & Sky.:D

My point is not that Murdoch/Sky do it.

My point is why are the LNP compelled to follow Murdoch/Sky down every single rabbit hole.

Back