Aston by-election, Date: TBA

Who wins

• Liberal

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Labor

Votes: 19 61.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the strategists on ABC said the LIB vote among Gen Z in Melbourne is in single digits

I made the point after the state election, but my circle is mostly white-collar, private-school/university educated, earning above the median wage. We would normally be growing into a reliable Liberal base about now, but none of us can stomach them.

Even when people turn off Labor eventually... I just don't see how all of us are going to start voting Liberal en-masse. They're more likely to vote Green or maybe for a teal party if they united. But definitely not for climate-denying, anti-trans rubbish.

The rest of that point from the 2 strategists was interesting too. 1 in 5 gen z identify as LGBTQI+
And LNP are doing their best to attack, marginalise and pillory them through links to nutter candidates, or candidates associating with people who persecute that demographic.

Also, home ownership is becoming more of a pipedream for younger generations. Used to achieve it in 20s, now pushing to 30s, or possibly not at all. People who own homes, etc have something to conserve, so as they age, become conservative. If you have nothing to conserve, there is no appeal in a right wing party who you have nothing in common with, particularly policies/attitudes which rail against you, or your friends or family.
Climate change is important, diversity and inclusivity is important. ALP might not give you that absolutely, so you might park votes with greens or teals, and preference ALP after that.
LNP are failing to appeal to the generations coming through.
Also one of the strategists mentioned that with Gen Z and millennials, voting Green or ALP becomes habit forming. There were other stats that should make LNP pollies shudder too, just can't remember them all in detail.

The rest of that point from the 2 strategists was interesting too. 1 in 5 gen z identify as LGBTQI+
And LNP are doing their best to attack, marginalise and pillory them through links to nutter candidates, or candidates associating with people who persecute that demographic.
Yeah, I don't get this approach. I'm a church going Catholic and I'll admit I like what the traditional family unit provides and have chosen that path for myself so the Libs probably think they are speaking to me. But I live in the real world, I have friends with all different identities and I can respect their freedom of expression as much as they can respect mine.

Yeah, I don't get this approach. I'm a church going Catholic and I'll admit I like what the traditional family unit provides and have chosen that path for myself so the Libs probably think they are speaking to me. But I live in the real world, I have friends with all different identities and I can respect their freedom of expression as much as they can respect mine.
would be worth revisiting jane humes interview on abc 24 tonite .... she kinda acknowledged conservatives had taken the culture war fixation too far and were no longer connecting with the electorate ....... she went on to say something about making sure libs work hard (blah blah blah) to deliver for and reflect the values of modern australian families - and this is the key point - whatever their makeup .......... basically: the libs are gunna go all 'modern family' on us

worth noting her comments didnt sound all that convincing as if she wasnt overly convinced of the idea herself ... almost stumbled on the line from memory

Last edited:
My god, Peta Credlin can talk absolute rubbish.
I've watched her talk the last 4 times Liberals have lost something, and she gives the most ridiculous reasons for the loss and sounds like she knows exactly what she is talking about, then gives more ridiculous thoughts on what is needed to be done to fix things , and it's all crap.
She has absolutely no idea at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My god, Peta Credlin can talk absolute rubbish.
I've watched her talk the last 4 times Liberals have lost something, and she gives the most ridiculous reasons for the loss and sounds like she knows exactly what she is talking about, then gives more ridiculous thoughts on what is needed to be done to fix things , and it's all crap.
She has absolutely no idea at all.
It's fantastic, I hope they take her lead, it will further shift us back to the left, what this country needs

The downward spiral of the LNP was quite funny at first but is now getting dangerous for the country.

Even if the governing party is far more aligned to my views than the opposition party, we risk sliding into a semi permanent single-party country and I don't view this in a positive light.

I just can't see this changing whilst Dutton and his hard-right mates are steering the ship, even given the cyclical nature of politics.

Some moderate members of the LNP must take control of their party... It'll be better for their own careers and the country.

Not sure where Credlin lives but she was at my local supermarket last Sunday. I actually chose a longer checkout queue because I couldn’t stomach standing that close to her for any length of time.

If I see her today it might be different…

Amazingly I ran into Bronwyn bishop twice in my life and take drastic evasive action. Once the disaster of being in the same lift

Probably worth acknowledging James Campbell's contribution to the Labor campaign as well. A couple of years of him mansplaining the issues of the day away on Insiders gave the people of Ashton a pretty good idea about what sort of judge of character their Liberal Party candidate was.

The downward spiral of the LNP was quite funny at first but is now getting dangerous for the country.

Even if the governing party is far more aligned to my views than the opposition party, we risk sliding into a semi permanent single-party country and I don't view this in a positive light.

I just can't see this changing whilst Dutton and his hard-right mates are steering the ship, even given the cyclical nature of politics.

Some moderate members of the LNP must take control of their party... It'll be better for their own careers and the country.
Three/four terms of Labor governments will not hurt Australia one bit.

A single term of Dutton would likely destroy this country.

The Liberal Party is not even 80 years old. They have spent every single morsel of political capital Menzies ever raised. It is over for them and it is not compulsory that they survive. It is time for a new Party to emerge. They have 2-3 more terms of Labor to make it happen.

On another note, Bob Hawke style early election is in play now. Labor can campaign for the housing tax changes (no one is buying investment house right now) and the stage 3 tax cuts (no one seriously thinks they should go ahead).

If Albanese does it he could finish the Liberals forever.

One of the strategists on ABC said the LIB vote among Gen Z in Melbourne is in single digits

I made the point after the state election, but my circle is mostly white-collar, private-school/university educated, earning above the median wage. We would normally be growing into a reliable Liberal base about now, but none of us can stomach them.

Even when people turn off Labor eventually... I just don't see how all of us are going to start voting Liberal en-masse. They're more likely to vote Green or maybe for a teal party if they united. But definitely not for climate-denying, anti-trans rubbish.
I'd suggest a lot of the professional class in Melbourne vote Green or Teal already, and that certainly isn't changing to the Libs.

Probably worth acknowledging James Campbell's contribution to the Labor campaign as well. A couple of years of him mansplaining the issues of the day away on Insiders gave the people of Ashton a pretty good idea about what sort of judge of character their Liberal Party candidate was.
He is so unlikeable. "Repellent" is the word I'd use.

Back