Goulburn Valley FL 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive got to hand it to the committee,coaches and players as someone has done some research and made other clubs look silly by pulling this off with Lochie Sirrett now being able to play finals.
Its also been kept very quiet so the questions being asked why would they play him for 3 games is now answered.
He makes a huge difference in that team for Weeks and Brennan.
As per Keith Wellman they are only playing to the rules so all clubs need to move on.

Qualifying Final - Saturday September 6 at Mansfield
Seniors - Benalla v Swans
Reserves - Euroa v Swans
Thirds - Benalla v Euroa

Elimination Final - Saturday September 6 at Tatura
Seniors - Kyabram v Mooroopna
Reserves - Kyabram v Seymour
Thirds - Euroa v Kyabram

Elimination Final - Sunday September 7 at Rochester
Seniors - Tatura v Rochester
Reserves - Mooroopna v Benalla
Thirds - Mooroopna v Seymour

Maybe it`s time the GV and Regional league's adopted a policy similar to the VFL one whereby players ( like the Sirett's) nominate a team and if like in the Sirret case, the player can play three games and qualify if eliminated in district league prior to their finals? In reality, is it different? Particularly when VFL blokes are not local.

Maybe it`s time the GV and Regional league's adopted a policy similar to the VFL one whereby players ( like the Sirett's) nominate a team and if like in the Sirret case, the player can play three games and qualify if eliminated in district league prior to their finals? In reality, is it different? Particularly when VFL blokes are not local.
Extending this thought and allligning district clubs and major league clubs, would be far more beneficial than spending time on caps/ points systems , which have proven to have flaws in the past.

The GVFL should also look at following the AFL with rewarding clubs where they finish on the ladder. Tat finishes above Rochy, yet Rochy gets a home final? Go figure?

The GVFL should also look at following the AFL with rewarding clubs where they finish on the ladder. Tat finishes above Rochy, yet Rochy gets a home final? Go figure?

I think McLovitt said Echuca had the final and swapped it with Rochy due to renovations at their netball courts. To be fair, Rochy travelled to Seymour in 2012 and Euroa in 2013. I reckon they are due one on their side of the league.

I think McLovitt said Echuca had the final and swapped it with Rochy due to renovations at their netball courts. To be fair, Rochy travelled to Seymour in 2012 and Euroa in 2013. I reckon they are due one on their side of the league.

In 2012, I think Rochy, in the finals, played Tatura the first week at their ground and then Seymour the next week at their ground.

In 2012, I think Rochy, in the finals, played Tatura the first week at their ground and then Seymour the next week at their ground.

Exactly right, as is Johnno's comment.

They are indeed well overdue for at least a little favourable finals fixture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly right, as is Johnno's comment.

They are indeed well overdue for at least a little favourable finals fixture.

There has been very little discussion in regards to Benalla's clash with Seymor on Saturday. I was not at the game but a clash with the Seymor coach and Will Martinello has left the Will with a broken jaw. Did any one see the incident? Has taken arguably the best player in the league out of the finals. Not a good look for Seymor and not fair on the Benalla champ.

There has been very little discussion in regards to Benalla's clash with Seymor on Saturday. I was not at the game but a clash with the Seymor coach and Will Martinello has left the Will with a broken jaw. Did any one see the incident? Has taken arguably the best player in the league out of the finals. Not a good look for Seymor and not fair on the Benalla champ.

Big blow for Benalla! Might need to get the truth before we hang the bloke! These are the sorts of things that can change the course of a premiership challenge and its momentum. Need the footy God's on your side at the right time! Believe Paul Newman is battling a reasonable arm infection atm as well. Still see it as a Ky/ Benalla GF with Rochy being very dangerous.

Big blow for Benalla! Might need to get the truth before we hang the bloke! These are the sorts of things that can change the course of a premiership challenge and its momentum. Need the footy God's on your side at the right time! Believe Paul Newman is battling a reasonable arm infection atm as well. Still see it as a Ky/ Benalla GF with Rochy being very dangerous.
ky have to get past Mooroopna first ringo! ;)

After reading the Seymour paper, it seems it wasnt the Seymour coach who was involved in the clash....

I think if people read the Seymour Telegraph link it will certainly clarify the player involved and gives the Seymour side of the story.

How theatrical was the article?

Not at all downplaying the injury or possible incident, but the way the piece is written is not conducive to factual discussion or the GVFL being viewed in a positive light.

Thanks for the link. I was at the game and saw Will go down. I didn't see what happened but it was in play. Obviously a guy gets his jaw broken it is head high contact. I left shortly after and didn't see the aftermath. But I can imagine the disappointment. I know Will and I'm a Benalla member. Footy is a tough game and things happen. I'm a bit disappointed with Benalla reaction after the game and in the media but I could understand it. Will is a quiet bloke who goes about his football in the right way. I wish people would keep quiet, let the officials handle things and let the players do their thing. Benalla has had a traumatic couple of years, with a number of suicides and deaths of players and parents. The group has been through a lot and they are very tight because of it. Emotions are high because of the anticipation of ending the drought. Anyhow, Looking forward to the final series. Still nothing is certain and Benalla has to earn like every other team. No one will make it easy for them.

I read the link and have perused the Seymour Telegraph online a few times this year. The reporting of this incident like others this year is not especially balanced, wih the language promoting a preferred local (Seymour) view of the incident and aftermath. A broken jaw means head high contact, illegal or not, and with force, so I can understand Benalla outrage. Maybe it was accidental. The disappointing thing is that the focus of the article was on the 'alleged' aftermath, rather than the 'actual' tragedy of an incident that leaves a fine young player out of he finals.

At a district game earlier this year there was an incident where a player went down knocked out, came around and complained of pins and needles. There was a rumble from the player's bench about high contact but that was it. Ambulance was called and the player was transported, assessed and released later that evening. The opposition player involved complained of soreness in the lower jaw and took himself to hospital. His jaw was broken in four places and now has several plates and screws in situ. It was a head clash that in the blink of an eye looked a lot worse.

Last edited:
Not good to see a star not being part of finals in martinello.. How do we think this will impact Benalla? Are the swans going to be able to turn around there late season sluggish form??? Match ups will be critical both sides have very good players would say there might be some tight checking on a few. My tip is Benalla by 26 in the end. I really feel that rochy are playing some great footy at the right time of the year and with the home advantage I can see them winning by 16 point in the end. While mpna has done really well to make the 6 I just cant see them getting over ky and with there big game expierence and big game players they win by 38 in the end..
thoughts anyone else its finals time lets talk footy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back