Unofficial Preview Early Thoughts: Preliminary Final - Sydney vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the line of thought that should Mal miss, Macca moves to HBF and Mitchell comes in.

It's not so easy. Macca is very damaging kicking inside 50. Given that our opponents mount their attack from defence we really do need to be hitting up targets inside 50. Macca does that better than most. So no, Mitchell isn't a replacement for Macca and it would require quite a big re-shuffle to get the balance right. We need i) accurate and cool disposal under pressure from HB ii) pinpoint passes inside 50. Macca can't be both ends. Mitchell may get a lot of the ball but he plays a different game and his ball use is not in the same league. Parker's not the best going inside 50 nor are Jack and Kennedy. Goodes moving into the midfield may help things out. We can also move Buddy up the ground and use Reid/Tippet forward. We cannot afford to be bombing long to a contest or we'll be spilling so much gravy we'll be cooked (with carrots, peas and baked spuds).

I'd love to see the infographic

Who is the AFL leader in dog acts?

Lindsay Thomas
Brian Lake
Reece Conca
Tyrone Vickery
Chris Judd
Hayden Ballantyne

I can see the stats from 'On the Couch"

...Rnds 1-12 ranked 7 in Dog Acts Rnds 13-23 Ranked 1 ... He has really picked up his game in that area Gerrard...a credit to him

Thomas has a masters in diving.
However Bartel and Goodes are becoming very good at it themselves

Technically, Goodes and Bartel accentuate contact, Thomas dives ;)

Grundy on Petrie is that realistic? remember the job he did on Carlisle when he was on fire.
The ball has to get to Petrie for it to be an issue, if we monster in the midfield it wont be such an issue....

The norm smith will have to do.

4021242-5893926616-BH8VO_zps83997279.jpg

Goodes can still blow away opponents with speed. It's more his manoeuvrability that has lessened. Played outside mid he can be very damaging. I rate him for big games.

I also rate Bird over Mitchell (GASP, Shock, Achtung - Nein, some 25 yr old grandpa over ze wunderkind ?). Besides, it's not the same role. Birdy has more tricks than a circus pony. Flexible enough to play a number of roles and is still one of the best run with players in the comp. It's not all about how many times a player lays their hands on the ball (though Bird gets more of the ball than Mitchell). Bird can take a player almost out of the game and still hurt on the offensive. Given he didn't really get going until 22/23 (due to stress fractures) and he's shown improvement with every year since I can't for the life of me understand why some Swans fans still don't get it. Is it just that he doesn't stand out enough among our talented midfield group ? He'd be folk hero for most teams. Meanwhile Mitchell stands out for getting a bucket load in NEAFL and a write up by the press as the star forced to wait. Don't get me wrong, Tom is a treasure. No doubt.

Maybe it's just the "shiny new iPhone" generation on this board. "It's new. It must be better, because, well.....it's new, soooo new. I want it so badly it hurts. Hang on...I don't want my old model so badly, so ..... it must be worthless'

Goodes can still blow away opponents with speed. It's more his manoeuvrability that has lessened. Played outside mid he can be very damaging. I rate him for big games.

I also rate Bird over Mitchell (GASP, Shock, Achtung - Nein, some 25 yr old grandpa over ze wunderkind ?). Besides, it's not the same role. Birdy has more tricks than a circus pony. Flexible enough to play a number of roles and is still one of the best run with players in the comp. It's not all about how many times a player lays their hands on the ball (though Bird gets more of the ball than Mitchell). Bird can take a player almost out of the game and still hurt on the offensive. Given he didn't really get going until 22/23 (due to stress fractures) and he's shown improvement with every year since I can't for the life of me understand why some Swans fans still don't get it. Is it just that he doesn't stand out enough among our talented midfield group ? He'd be folk hero for most teams. Meanwhile Mitchell stands out for getting a bucket load in NEAFL and a write up by the press as the star forced to wait. Don't get me wrong, Tom is a treasure. No doubt.

Maybe it's just the "shiny new iPhone" generation on this board. "It's new. It must be better, because, well.....it's new, soooo new. I want it so badly it hurts. Hang on...I don't want my old model so badly, so ..... it must be worthless'
Haha... Rant of the year mate. Described it perfectly!

Goodes has been playing well ( most weeks) offensively. He has shown he can bob up and take strong mark inside 50, and can still work a bit if magic around the ground. Everyone knows defensively he is not the player he was , but as long as he TRIES to apply pressure and causes headaches for opposition offensively, he will have a spot in the team.

P.s you don't drop a guy like goodes. He has to be honest enough to know when he cannot compete anymore

Goodes has been playing well ( most weeks) offensively. He has shown he can bob up and take strong mark inside 50, and can still work a bit if magic around the ground. Everyone knows defensively he is not the player he was , but as long as he TRIES to apply pressure and causes headaches for opposition offensively, he will have a spot in the team.

P.s you don't drop a guy like goodes. He has to be honest enough to know when he cannot compete anymore
*looks at ROK*

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mate,,,do your brethren on this board realise that friday night is NOT the grand final?????
I disagree, getting nervous about losing the PF is much the same as getting nervous about losing the GF. Hard to say which one is worse. However, I will concede that getting excited about winning the PF is NOT the same as getting excited about winning the GF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back